Too lazy to stop myLotting and do some 'real' work

Bunbury, Australia
I’ve found myself two writing competitions which I’d like to enter but it means doing some work so I’m procrastinating. One is for a 400-800 word monologue and the other for a 1500-3000 word short story. I have a couple of monologues I could use but they are much too long and they’re funny or supposed to be. Comedic stuff doesn’t always do well in competitions. Judges seem to like a bit of angst. At least that’s my story. Reducing 2000 words down to 800 takes a bit of doing so I’m thinking of writing something new – something with a bit of angst in it if I can manage it. But till then I think I’ll just keep myLotting. Much easier on the brain. I thought it was time this beautiful photo got another airing. It’s one of the honeydew family, an insectivorous plant. Isn’t it just gorgeous?
At some point, you will have to get going on the piece for the competition, but for now, myLot is the place to be. That plant sparkles and shines!!
It's beautiful isn't it? Wouldn't those colours make a lovely fabric.
@JudyEv Judy, they certainly would.
@JudyEv The most certainly would!!!
@eileenleyva (10964)
Oh Judy, I must be mean again. Punish your self and ignore mylot till you get the drafts for those two competitions done. Those are paramount and procrastination is not an option. A competition is a serious matter. If you have entered the competition, then you must prepare. Half-hearteds do not win. The object of the competition is to win. Participating is for the losers. Then, when you've finished the draft, or the editing, come back to mylot and rest your mind. When you've rested, go back to the draft and the editing, slash in cold blood, re-write, and rest. Check the work out another day and see if your works are the winning pieces. Bedazzle us, like that honeydew.
Thank you for such good advice. I'll get to it soon - I promise!
@eileenleyva (10964)
@JudyEv Yehey! I do promise to keep a prayer for you. I sincerely would want you to win those competitions. But, if you lose, lose it to a better one, which, at this time is non-existent. So, you will win.
@eileenleyva Thank you very much for the vote of confidence.
@xFiacre (4456)
@judyev I do like a bit of angst but that beautiful flower shows no signs of it.
I just love this photo. If I ever go to another ball I want my gown in those colours.
@xFiacre (4456)
@JudyEv I do hope you don't attract any tasty insects that you would be tempted to devour.
@xFiacre It's never going to happen so I don't need to worry. I did go out in the dark last night and drown some paper wasps in insect killer. I hope they don't recognise me this morning - any that survived that is.
Good luck with your writing, I am about 10 blog posts behind and I can't seem to motivate myself to write them. my bad!!
Sometimes it is just such an effort isn't it?
@JudyEv It is and I can't seem to push myself to it lol
It's pretty picture. Goodluck with the motivation and writing!
Thanks for the good wishes. I just love the colour of this plant.
@JudyEv you are welcome
@DeborahDiane (21707)
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - I love that picture. I understand your situation completely. Sometimes I don't feel like writing serious stuff, either, so I just hang out on MyLot. LOL
It's just so easy here - and pleasureable!
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - I agree. I love reading the opinions and ideas of people around the world, and it is very relaxing!
That picture caught my attention and I immediately thought how beautiful. Good luck with your writing competition. I know you'll find something interesting to write about. I always find your posts interesting.
Thanks for the good wishes. It needs to be more than interesting. It has to be engaging and have tension - the guidelines say so!
I'm sure that you'll run out of things to read (of interest of course) here and eventually get working on the projects that are beckoning you. I look forward to hearing all about how well you do.
I really like writing comedies and just because they're funny doesn't mean they are easy to write - but comedies rarely win competitions. I'll have to get all hard-hearted and nasty. I can feel the angst building up already!
• Peoria, Arizona
Sometimes you just have to set everything down and just do it. I get that way a lot, just having no focus for working until I finally actually get to it. But then there are some days where nothing comes out, and those are the days I write garbage fan fiction that will never see the light of day just to get some writing practice out there to feel like I actually did something haha
A lot of my writing will never see daylight or print either. I might just brush up some of my older stories.
• Peoria, Arizona
@JudyEv I always learned that if you ever have writer's block, just write complete garbage, stuff that won't even matter and it helps so much.
@DesirousDreamer I've heard that too but I've never tried it. I don't often have too much trouble finding a subject.
@cintol (6445)
I love this photo, it is so cool and interesting. I would have been able to do a writing competition years ago but not so much anymore. My hat is off to you for being able to accomplish that. Good luck
I'm not sure I can accomplish anything worthwhile either. I have a lot of trouble sometimes finding the words I need.
@cintol (6445)
@JudyEv yeah, thats my problem as well, its hard to think of the words you need sometimes. Is that called age??
@cintol Yes, I think it is. It's a jolly nuisance as I used to have no trouble once.
keep on mylotting coz it's much easier on the brain.. but I say go for it Judy!
MyLotting is certainly easy on the brain.
Beautiful shot. Don't think of it as being lazy, think of it as imagining .... you're tryin to imagine what you're gonna write about, that's not bein lazy.
Thank you so much for that! I'll embrace that thought wholeheartedly. It should keep me here for another hour or two.
@JudyEv Just be careful, time flies when your having fun
Just between you and me myLot has spoilt us rotten. I am so used to this laid back way of writing that I have put off my activity at postloop for almost two months now. I earn good there.
I've never joined Postloop. I have a lot of articles on Infobarrel although I don't write there any more either.
@Freelanzer (8979)
I know what you mean. Mylot just seems to lure us a way and give us a good excuse not to work too hard.
That's exactly how I feel - and as @snowy22315 said, you can fool yourself that you're earning money.
Inspiration will strike when it strikes.
I hope it doesn't wait too long before striking. I've got to the end of May for both.
The short story one sounds like fun.
Yes but I need to get started soon on them.
@Starmaiden (5975)
The plant is a beauty. I wish you luck on your competitions. :-)
Thanks. I have until the end of May to get them submitted so I'll myLot a bit longer.
I frequently find myself preferring to mylot rather than doing something that would potentially be more productive or that really needs to be done. It is just pleasant and non stressful, and you can always rationalize it, that at least you are making money..koff, koff..lol
My thoughts exactly. We all need to be able to rationalise not doing stuff we should be doing. And as you say - we're making money!
@bagarad (12170)
• Paso Robles, California
The photo is beautiful. I'm also using myLot to procrastinate. I'm supposed to be working on my taxes.
Ugh! I'd pick myLot over taxes any day but eventually I guess they'll have to be tackled.
@bagarad (12170)
• Paso Robles, California
@JudyEv Unfortunately! I didn't get much done on them today.
@bagarad That's a shame. It's a pity they can't do themselves.
@mlgen1037 (29641)
• Manila, Philippines
it is sparkling amazing. Well, Mylot is hard to be removed in the system. hahaha
I'd love an evening gown made from material that looked like this.
@mlgen1037 (29641)
• Manila, Philippines
@JudyEv I think it would be fantastic and then the gown is glowing. Magnificent!
@mlgen1037 (29641)
• Manila, Philippines