Artists attempt to change, experiment, and their fans get angry

@sabtraversa (13329)
Italy
I bet most of you don't appreciate the "genre", but this is a discussion that can apply to several other artists. Artists attempt to change, experiment, and their fans get angry. I don't think you can expect a band to be the same all the time: they can run out of ideas and they just want to avoid repeating themselves. I see nothing wrong with that, after all, you can go listen to their old stuff whenever you want, they're there waiting for your ears, it's not like they expire. Your favorite album doesn't always have to be the last one. I tend to not have favorite albums, but favorite songs, anyway. I didn't enjoy "Interdimensional Summit" and agreed with some of the negative comments: they said the song wasn't evil enough. I think it lacked some Black Metal riffs. I don't consider Black Metal riffs to be evil, but I believe that was what they meant. "Council Of Wolves And Snakes", the one I decided to share, has something shamanic into it, and a BM riff (starts at 2:19 or 4:22). Nothing special, but better than nothing at all. I think the flaw in both songs is that, by adding so many paces and genres into a 4/5 minutes song, they make it sound longer than what it is. You may think it should be positive, but it isn't. I don't know why, but I got bored by listening to these songs, especially the former I mentioned above. What are your opinions about artists who "change and experiment"? Have you ever been disappointed by a band?
DIMMU BORGIR's tenth full-length album, EONIAN, out May 4th via Nuclear Blast. Order at https://www.dimmu-borgir.com. Subscribe to Dimmu Borgir: http://bit.l...
I'm sorry, but I'm not a one for music. Besides, from what I've gleaned from your post, this music isn't the typical fare for elderly ladies. :-)
@sabtraversa (13329)
@MALUSE It isn't typical for ladies my age either. But I appreciate your effort.
• Calgary, Alberta
I kind of remember being upset of Gwen Stefanie leaving No Doubt, Letting go of her Ska roots and try to be a popstar with Japanese girls as accessories. I also got upset with some Indie artists who changes genre the moment they sign recording contract, the list will be thick as a phonebook if I list them down. Female artists have more tendencies to change genre. Female pop singers starts sweet and demure then suddenly will go superslutt. Female rock vocalists will suddenly left rock music to do house music or pop. Sometimes changes are needed though, I outgrew Linkin Park when they decided to stick with teen angsts NU metal instead of sounding more adult and less whiny. I like the changes Simple Plan did with their music lately. They started with Teen angst but not their songs are more relatable for adults.
@sabtraversa (13329)
@CaptAlbertWhisker Simple Plan grew up, I didn't know. I was stuck in their 2004's songs. I don't follow female artists, but yes, the tendency is to run towards the money. Many artists will try to adapt to the mainstream. I think Dimmu Borgir tries to do the same, but I can't really tell, because I don't know what the current metal scene is about, I only listen to what I enjoy, and that could be stuff that is older than me.
• Calgary, Alberta
@sabtraversa Simple Plan I think decided to Focus with Canada instead of the US, Since fame in the US requires selling your soul and creativity. This is their new music.
We’re celebrating the 15th Anniversary of “No Pads, No Helmets…Just Balls”! Come hear the album in full on tour! Tickets and VIP upgrades at www.simpleplan.c...
@sabtraversa (13329)
@CaptAlbertWhisker Quite catchy, I'd say I like both the old and new songs.
Lady Gaga seems to be the one I know who has definitely changed and experimented on occasion. I do like her experiments better than her usual a lot of the time.
@sabtraversa (13329)
@Corbin5 She's young and looking for her own style and music, that's reasonable.
@ridingbet (57899)
here in my country, some artists have their own genre, and when there are changes in the songs they sing, i can still appreciate because their voices are good.
@sabtraversa (13329)
@ridingbet I see, as long as they don't change their own voices too. I can tell Dimmu Borgir changed their voice a little too, but for 99.9% of people, that is no improvement, because it's all growl.
@ridingbet (57899)
@sabtraversa i am laughing now, with your response bearing the word GROWL. hahaha
@sabtraversa (13329)
@ridingbet But it's a technical word, I swear.
@YrNemo (14396)
I will have to listen to that one. Since artists need to survive like everyone else, I think they have the right to do whatever they like. It is their business after all. (I was reading books from a favorite author here when I found out, she changed her style from very thoughtful and deep (all books in the 70s and 80s) to shallow and silly (all books from the late 90s to now). Like there were two different people who wrote them. That upsets me a bit, then I thought, 'hey, she has the right to do so!' (So now I am going to read all of her old books (gone through 75% of them now) while sighing looking at her newer books!)
@sabtraversa (13329)
@YrNemo Yes, I thought the same affected books and authors as well. At least you have some old books left to read.
@YrNemo (14396)
@sabtraversa but the thought bugged me, why did they change the writing style? You would think that you are you, and your writing style would never change, right? Why this happens to some authors? UNLESS the name was used with the approval of the original writer. (Perhaps the latter writer happens to be the daughter, the niece or the sister of the former?)
@sabtraversa (13329)
@YrNemo Well, someone might have used that name for its popularity. Then authors can change with time, but I'd expect them to improve and become more mature, not the other way around, unless they adapted to a simple speech to attract new customers, the youth.
I have to say the same as Maluse, not the kind of music I listen. Anyway, I also never had "favorite albums", only favorite songs, no matter which singer or complex.
@sabtraversa (13329)
@LadyDuck It's hard to pick a favorite album, they all tend to have good and not as good songs. I prefer to make my own playlists too.
@sabtraversa Even when we had the 45 RPM vinyls with only two songs, it was hard to have two good songs on the same record.
@sabtraversa (13329)
@LadyDuck Same with the "single" CDs that were released, there were different versions of the same song and, most of the time, they didn't sound good at all, such a waste.
@Srbageldog (8227)
I would rather have artists change and experiment with their sound than to grow stagnant. So many artists hit a point after a few albums where everything they release afterwards just sounds the same, over and over again. (Marilyn Manson comes to mind...his later albums don't seem all that creative.) I actually love Black Metal and am listening to some on YouTube right now. Dimmu Borgir is a band I appreciate, although I admittedly am not an expert on their music. I did like "Interdimensional Summit," but I noticed that many people commenting on the video didn't care for it. Bands cannot always please everyone. Right now I am unhappy with my favorite band, Ghost, for revealing their new "leader," who was not what anyone expected. But just because I don't like the new look doesn't mean I'm going to hate the new music. And I suppose the new look will grow on me eventually.
@sabtraversa (13329)
@Srbageldog Dimmu Borgir seem to not have pleased their people for a while. Most are disappointed because the clean voice ICS Vortex and the keyboard player Mustis were fired. Now they rely on choirs and orchestra, in fact they lost some of the creativity they had. But these two members left in 2007, more than 10 years later, they still cry for the "loss". A change of leader is indeed a big thing, but a band is more than their leader. We'll see who adapts to who. I've never heard of Ghost, to be honest.
@sabtraversa There will always be fans who can't get over the fact that members left the band. There are still KISS fans throwing a fit that Ace Frehley and Peter Criss are no longer part of their band. And they both left (for the second time) over 15 years ago. Ghost is a Swedish black metal band that has more of a classic rock sound...the lead singer, "Papa Emeritus," is a Satanic pope and he "changes" with each album (even though it's the same singer under each mask.) Well, everyone was expecting Papa Emeritus IV, and instead we got "Cardinal Copia," who looks like a big doofus. I'll share one of their videos with you...this is the first song I ever heard by them, which turned me into a fan 5 years ago.
Pre-Order new album "Infestissumam" on iTunes: http://smarturl.it/GhostBCInfestissumiT Pre Order Exclusive Album Packages: http://www.ghost-official.com Pre ...
@sabtraversa (13329)
@Srbageldog Pretty dark, I hear some gothic/industrial influence. I doubt Cardinal Copia is going to sound like Francesco Gabbani in Occidentali's Karma. Hopefully Ghost doesn't become a parody of itself.
@FourWalls (14694)
I think it depends on the act, honestly. I never thought it "strange" that Talking Heads were always experimenting with new styles of music. On the other hand, I don't want Boz Scaggs doing a heavy metal album.
@sabtraversa (13329)
@FourWalls Some artists will start separate projects to experiment with new genres, other artists are known for changing style very often. I can't imagine Boz Scaggs to do a heavy metal album, so I don't even know if I want him to do so. It could be enlightening, who knows.
@FourWalls (14694)
@sabtraversa -- there are people who do things that are "trendy." Every rock and his brother has done a country album, because they think "country music" is what's being played on the radio now (which is basically Bon Jovi with a twang). Hank Williams famously said, "You've got to have smelled an awful lot of manure before you can sing like a hillbilly." It's not slapping a cowboy hat on your head and invoking Johnny Cash's name. It would be like Dolly Parton doing a hip-hop album. In a word: NO.
@sabtraversa (13329)
@FourWalls It's sad the only way to make a living with music alone is to adapt to the trends. Well, it's usually the case. Yes, you can't force things if you don't have the genre running in your veins.
@porwest (7063)
I remember once Jim Carrey saying about not doing a 3rd installment of Pet Detective, "By the time I get to number 3 I am just imitating myself at that point, and it is not original anymore." I think there is some truth to that. As for me, and in music specifically, I actually like it when the bands do something different. I don't want to keep buying the same album over and over again with just a few different lyrics and a slight chord progression change.
@sabtraversa (13329)
@porwest Good point. Yes, eventually it ends up being the same thing repeating itself, if there's no major change.
@porwest (7063)
@sabtraversa And I mean, I'm perfectly okay if a band gets it wrong now and then. And they often do. But then they get it right again and it's paydirt. :)
@mlgen1037 (29634)
• Manila, Philippines
It is only natural that they change and experiment besides, they need a breather. They can always come back to where they began.
@sabtraversa (13329)
@mlgen1037 True, they can always come back to their roots if they feel inspired enough.
@mlgen1037 (29634)
• Manila, Philippines
@sabtraversa yes, thats right, Sabrina.
I'm not into that kind of music. It depends on what the artist changes about their music.
@sabtraversa (13329)
@just4him If there's one thing you like about the music, and they change it, that's indeed a problem. How this band mixes different genres is what I like, but I feel like they've become worse at doing so. They also got rid of some important members and you can feel the difference.
@sabtraversa When band members leave a group, the sound is bound to change.
@kepweng (17784)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
the thumbnail looks like marilyn manson
@sabtraversa (13329)
@kepweng But the same guy with no make-up is way more attractive (=normal) than Marilyn Manson, but I sometimes listen to Marilyn Manson as well.
If they arn't already great and, experiment it's good, but if it's not broken don't fix it.
@sabtraversa (13329)
@TRBRocks420 Maybe some are so bored they break themselves to fix them after.