Lotto By Any Other Name

@porwest (7046)
Like a lot of people do, I enjoy playing the lottery. To me, while it is MOSTLY a waste of money, it's not like the few dollars a week I spend on it is going to break me. And you never know; there IS still a chance to win big, even if it happens to be a very slim chance at best. To that end, yesterday I stopped by the local Casey's General Store to pick up a ticket—and that turned into a bit of a joke. "I would like a Lotto please," I said to Leroy who was tending to the register. "Which one?" he asked. "Lotto," I repeated. "They are all lotto," Leroy informed me. "I want the regular Lotto," I said again. "There's a Mega-Millions, a Powerball, a Lotto, and a Lucky Day," Leroy said to me, affirming this with a bit of incredulity. "Right," I said. "I want the Lotto." He finally caught on and printed my ticket. As he handed it to me he said once more, "Technically they are all lotto." "Yes, I said. "But THIS one is actually called Lotto as is printed at the top." My wife scolded me for being a bit salty with old Leroy at the counter. I told her the one being salty was the cashier. I was simply being right.
@FayeHazel (19038)
Welcome to MyLot! I've never played the lotto - but sometimes I do the scratch games. So far I've managed to break even. Ha... oh well. :-) I agree, if there's a game which is actually called the lotto - then you were right... you were asking for the one you wanted. If you'd wanted Powerball or whatever you would have asked for that by its name.
@porwest (7046)
That was what I thought too. :) Thanks for the welcome aboard. As for your breaking even, I say congrats to that too. I am not sure I have actually broken even over the years. Maybe one day my day will come.
@FayeHazel (19038)
@porwest Thanks! Hey maybe you will be the next to not only break even but get the big prize :-) Hope you enjoy Mylot, it's a cool place
@porwest (7046)
@FayeHazel So far I have to agree with you. I am having fun here so far.
@Jessabuma (33168)
• Baguio, Philippines
Hahaha!!! I never tried to play lotto ever since.. I don't want to spend money on those things.
@porwest (7046)
If it is disposable cash I say go for it. You probably lose in the end...but the chance at winning big is just too great to pass up. As I always say...somebody HAS to win, but it can never be you if you don't have a ticket in your hand. :)
@Jessabuma (33168)
• Baguio, Philippines
@porwest yes, you are right..
@porwest (7046)
@Jessabuma The simple truth is that you cannot win if you don't play, and SOMEONE has to win, so even if you think the odds are terribly stacked against you, only a fool would not spend a dollar for a chance to win millions. Just my two cents.
LOL, you wasted a dollar?!?!?! Ain`t seen you since Nuime.
@porwest LOL, the Domino`s coupon guy!
@porwest (7046)
@andriaperry Indeed. Still getting a free pizza here and there. I think I am entitled to two of them as we speak. lol
@sprite1950 (14498)
• Corsham, England
I wouldn't have clue about the differences between the tickets as I never buy them but when I worked as a cashier in a coffee shop a guy came in and bought almost £40 worth of scratch cards and didn't win a bean. He was sweating when he left!
@porwest (7046)
Most of the time if I get my dollar back I'm happy. Though that too can be quite rare. But you never know when the right six numbers will be the ones on your ticket—and on you go to multi-millions. :)
@sprite1950 (14498)
• Corsham, England
@porwest I guess I'm not much of a risk taker but as you say maybe I should as my ship might come in!
@porwest (7046)
@sprite1950 Well here a ticket is between $1 and $2 for the drawings. So it's not like I am spending (or wasting depending on one's perspective) a lot of money. It's worth it for the smidgen of a chance. At least to me it is. And I can think of many things I waste way more than a dollar on—like that 20 ounce bottle of Coke which costs MORE than a 2-Liter bottle when I am out and about.
You gave as good as you got, right?
@porwest (7046)
That's what I thought. But the wife still scolded me nonetheless.
Being old myself I know that we elderly can be pretty doggone salty at times @porwest your wife may feel you were supposed to respect your elders but in my view respect is all fine and dandy if it's earned.
@porwest (7046)
@rebelann Interestingly enough I had the exact same conversation with Leroy two days ago. lol But the wife was not with me this time.
@bagarad (12653)
• Paso Robles, California
My brother buys Lotto tickets, or at least used to. He used to give me some every Christmas. I think I won $2 once from one of them. I never buy them myself. To me, it's still gambling.
@porwest (7046)
It IS a gamble. But you know, when you get right down to it, our entire life is game of chance and therefore a gamble. Every time you get in a car, walk down the street, take the stairs to the basement...you are gambling you will get where you want to safe and sound. But sometimes the luck falls on the other side and you don't.
@bagarad (12653)
• Paso Robles, California
@porwest That's where we disagree. I don't believe in luck. I believe in divine providence. Nothing happens to me that God doesn't allow. even the consequences of my own mistakes and disobedience. I also know that I won't die as long as God has a use for me here. If I'm doing what I believe to be the will of God, even in small matters of daily life like cooking meals, running errands, etc, I'm not gambling but trusting. If I do something I'm quite sure is not the will of God for me, like risking money I can ill afford to lose or that might be better spent helping others, I risk consequences I don't want and the odds are higher suffering is ahead. The odds are always stacked against the gambler.
@porwest (7046)
@bagarad I can certainly appreciate your philosophy. Sometimes it is difficult for me to believe this way when so much in the world is just...tragic. As for the odds being stacked against the gambler...I have more losses than wins to make that point absolutely true.
Mississippi doesn't have the lottery or we would occasionally buy one too
@porwest (7046)
@Tampa_girl7 Oh man, that would stink. I might even go as far as to say I could never live in a state without a lottery. Probably a stupid reason not to move to a particular state. Still...
@porwest (7046)
When I stayed in Mississippi when my wife went to Memphis for our anniversary and realized there was no lottery there I was trying to remember who told me that. It was you, of course @Tampa_girl7.
@porwest maybe we'll have one some day. When we are in our home in West Virginia we buy a lottery ticket or two.
@May2k8 (6144)
I don't know the difference between ticket and lotto I never playing them.
@porwest (7046)
They are one in the same. Lotto is just the name of the game, and the ticket is what you play on.
@May2k8 (6144)
@porwest now I understand what it mean, thanks for explaining me.
@porwest (7046)
@May2k8 Happy to provide any clarification I can. lol
@stbrians (15854)
• Kakamega, Kenya
Finally you got the lotto
@porwest (7046)
It was a struggle with the guy, but yes.
@stbrians (15854)
• Kakamega, Kenya
@porwest it is good though
@porwest (7046)
@stbrians So long as in the end I got what I wanted...yes.
@porwest I used to help a friend with the lottery here but the numbers I chose never did anything so we stopped. I am not good at it. I only won one thing in my life and that was my stuffed lion and I am proud of that. He came with me to Israel.
@porwest (7046)
A stuffed lion? Well, at least you won SOMETHING. Just cashed in some winners yesterday to the tune of $11. But I put $5 back in and got a regular Lotto, a MegaMillions, and a Powerball.
@porwest You really do like playing or you want to win so are determined to get the money or the big money. Yes, I love my lion. His name is Alfred and he is very cute.
@rakski (20884)
Yes, there are a lot of kinds of lotto here too!
@porwest (7046)
I love it for the opportunity, even if I know I will probably never win.
I have no confidence that I will ever win the lotto but as they say "you don't have a ticket, you don't have a chance" . So I buy one whenever it is convenient.
@porwest (7046)
That's the way I tend to look at it as well, even though I am more sure to lose than win...I can never win without a ticket in my hand.
@epiffanie (10408)
LOL! .. you just reminded me to get myself lotto .. because as they say, you got to be in ti to win it ..
@porwest (7046)
Yes. Exactly. It's an awfully slim chance, but even if the odds are horrible with a ticket, the odds are completely against you without one.
same here I will my off and on.Depending on my mood.Is that photo family there.Cute
@porwest (7046)
Nope. No one in the family. Just a random pic I got off Pixabay or Morguefile. Can't remember. But I have used it several times in various places.
@Freelanzer (9496)
Poor Leroy, he is probably still scratching his head wondering what happened. If you don't play you don't have a chance so I do occasionally.
@porwest (7046)
I am still scratching MY head honestly. :)
@caopaopao (12377)
Wish you win big soon, lol
@porwest (7046)
Me too. lol