Shut the Door! --- Pupils I Remember (6)

tired pupil
Uzbekistan
Once I was the form/class teacher of a fifth form. The pupils are 10 to 11 years old. I noticed that one boy was always tired. Especially during the first lesson, he could hardly keep his eyes open. Now I know that the introduction of TV and other media into our lives is responsible for a lot of sleeplessness. I also know that there are many families who send their children to their rooms and tell them to sleep without checking after some time if they obey or if they play with their gadgets. I asked the boy if he watched TV in the evening or even at night but he denied it. It sounded true. Maybe he was ill? I decided to invite the parents and talk about the problem. The mother came and I told her what I had noticed. I also asked her about the boy's consumption of TV. "Oh, no", she said. "We don't allow him to watch TV in the evening". But then I learnt something about their living conditions. They had come from Russia to Germany like many other people of German descent (a long story I can't go into here). They had only constricted room. The boy's room was directly beside the living room. So that he wouldn't feel lonely, they left the door open just a tiny bit - now we're coming to the climax of the story - while they were watching TV until late at night. The boy heard everything but didn't see anything. It's understandable that his imagination was overactive imagining what there was to see corresponding with what he heard. I suggested that they shut the door so that he could fall asleep without torturing his brain. The mother said, "Maybe we should do this. Thanks for telling me". Problem solved. How silly can parents be? --- If you click on the green bar at the top of the page, you can find my other posts on the topic. --- Photo: pixabay
That’s why my husband and I go to bed at different times. He needs the TV on and I need quiet. If the TV is on, I pay attention to it and then I can’t fall asleep. So I go to bed first and then when I’m asleep, he comes in and can turn on the TV.
• Uzbekistan
Good that you've found a solution. Your sleep must be deep.
@MALUSE it isn’t with cats. We used to have 5 but now we are down to 3. I can fall back asleep quickly though.
@sabtraversa (13331)
I like to fall asleep while listening to TV, but I guess we aren't all the same. Good you investigated and solved the problem.
• Uzbekistan
The boy didn't see anything. He only heard noises. That kept him awake.
@sabtraversa (13331)
@MALUSE I can't watch either, if I keep my eyes closed. The sounds still kept him awake, that's somehow interesting. Well, there are often sounds that feel real, like you hear a phone ringing with your same ringtone, and you wonder if that's yours or if that's TV. Happened so many times.
@sunrisefan (21228)
What the parents were doing was some sort of "follow what I say and never mind what I do" :)
• Uzbekistan
In my opinion they just didn't think. They obviously weren't the brightest.
@sunrisefan (21228)
@MALUSE Sarcasm hehehe!
@sunrisefan (21228)
@MALUSE Seriously, that's the problem with many parents - they think they can just simply entrust their children in school and leave everything with the teachers.
Oh, how unmindful of the parents of what it could do to their child. It is good that you talked to the mother and was able to know what really caused his sleepiness in the classroom. So, after that, how's the boy while in the classroom?
• Uzbekistan
Obviously, the door was closed. He wasn't sleepy anymore but could follow the lessons.
@MALUSE And that';s because of his very good teacher - you!
• Uzbekistan
@SIMPLYD This has to do with common sense. Some people have it, others don't.
@mlgen1037 (29623)
• Manila, Philippines
I didnt know that you are a teacher, M.L. But now I know, I understand your stature. But that was compassionate of you to look after your student who seems to be sleeping in class. I actually slept once in the classroom during Religion subject. The moment I wake up, the subject was over.
• Uzbekistan
@mlgen1037 I'm not a teacher anymore. I was a teacher for 40 years. Now I'm retired. What does "I understand your stature" mean? What is my stature? Please explain.
@mlgen1037 (29623)
• Manila, Philippines
@MALUSE I see. My mom is a retired teacher too. When I said I understand your stature, I meant that you are being look up to. I noticed the way of you converse here, at least it is for me. I didnt know you were a teacher until today when I read your post. I observed the way you ask questions in discussions, you dont sugar coat and is straight to the point that I was both intrigued and intimidated. And I like the way you think because I feel challenged to think deeply and not just say shallow things to impress people. Thats all.
• Uzbekistan
@mlgen1037 Thanks for the explanation. You're right. I don't sugar coat as you call it. It leads nowhere, certainly not to interesting discussions. To be called intimidating, however, is a bit hard to digest.
@Inlemay (17140)
• South Africa
you could write a BOOK on all your experiences with pupils
• Uzbekistan
I'm not going to write a book but more posts for myLot! Thanks for reading my ramblings.
@Inlemay (17140)
• South Africa
@MALUSE Loving your ramblings - people have no idea what a pleasure (tedious by rewarding) task it is to teach young people
Parents can be silly. I used to watch the TV from bed via the mirror in my room. Or read with a flashlight. I grew up tired too. And tardy!
• Uzbekistan
When I came to the town where I live now, I first had a room in the house of a family. It was on the first floor where their daughter had her room, too. She was ten when I moved in. The parents were in the living-room downstairs and when it was time to go to bed for the girl, they send her upstairs. Did the girl go to bed? Yes, she did, but she started reading at once. Many a time when I went to bed late or had to go to the bathroom, I saw light in her room. I went in, switched off the light and scolded her although this was not part of my renting contract. :-)
@MALUSE Only my older brother would come in abd turn off my light.
@caopaopao (12641)
We never watch TV when my daughter is at home. Because she needs quiet environment for the homework and a good sleep.
• Uzbekistan
That's very sensible!
@caopaopao (12641)
I hope the parents followed through with your advice. I noticed that some parents would follow my advice for a while, but then, they just gave up. I would have to give them a gentle reminder more often than not.
• Uzbekistan
Well, one can only do so much. After all, the pupils are not our children. The parents are responsible. Some people shouldn't have children.
@MALUSE I agree. Some people have no idea how to parent.
Poor boy, he listen to everything, but he was unable to see what's going on. I can imagine it was hard to fall asleep. I hope the parents closed the door after you told them.
• Uzbekistan
They obviously did because the boy wasn't so tired anymore after our talk.
@MALUSE I am glad the listened, the TV has ruined the sleep of thousands of kids.
• Nairobi, Kenya
I was once a teacher and the Job was awesome! I left it because it wasn't paying well.
• Uzbekistan
German teachers can't complain about their salary.
@xFiacre (5699)
@maluse one of my sons teaches 8/9 year olds and one of them (I know the family well from my own job) is always falling asleep - he has narcolepsy and can just fall asleep as he’s talking to you. Very disconcerting for a teacher.
• Uzbekistan
That's a different scenario. The parents have to inform the teachers about such a disease. We once had twins with Tourette Syndrome. Nobody had informed me before I met them. I thank my guardian angel for saving me from committing a blunder by scolding them for always fidgeting. They nearly drove me mad. Can you imagine having two of this kind sitting in front of you for a whole lesson?
@ridingbet (60653)
good thing the boy was able to be awake for his class.
@SRSaba (1017)
• Chennai, India
Thanks my friend! this storey as a lesson for parants!
That explains the tired kid in class.
@Srbageldog (8255)
I can relate to that boy, the same thing happened in my childhood...although the TV was often comforting to me, as it meant somebody else was still awake. Although I do remember being sent to bed one New Year's Eve with my siblings, and my parents watched "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" in the other room, and we could hear the entire movie...
@epiffanie (10458)
I wish my teachers were like you when I was in primary school .. instead of them investigating why I didn't have much energy, they mocked me in front of the class ..
@pgntwo (22753)
• Tripoli, Lebanon
Sometimes, the obvious cause isn't - until a 3rd party points it out. Good one!
@cintol (8299)
Some just don't think that your mind keeps working with sound, good thing you told her. I hope he was more awake in class when you had him.
I travelled in a school bus and the first students boarded the bus soon after 7am. Two children who were some of the first to board the bus would go to sleep on the way TO school and often on the way home as well.