The Doctor says what?

"The doctor wants you to start taking 2 mg of Glimepiride twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening" "Okay, what do I do with the other 1 mg" "What other one" "The one where she has me take 3 mg in the morning right now" "Oh...I'll have to ask, it isn't mentioned here" ___________________________________________________________ I often wonder if my doctor actually knows what she has me scheduled to take. The 2 extra mg of Glimepiride that she wants me to take in the evening is, allegedly, supposed to make up for the 5 mg of Tradjenta I have been taking every morning (along with 3 mg of Glimepiride) that the State no longer wants to pay for. Of course, why she added Tradjenta (which is considerably more expensive than Glimepiride) in the first place instead of just increasing the dose of the other to start with, I don't know. She probably doesn't know either, from what I have seen over the past few years. So I am still left waiting to hear back from her assistant about what I am actually supposed to take now. Which, as it is now after 5 (I got the first call around 3) I guess I'll find out tomorrow...or the day after...
@Morleyhunt (19750)
Frustrating, I'm sure. I'm blessed with good health, but I know when we would take my father fir checkups, there was often more confusion than answers.
Unfortunately, it is what I have come to accept as 'the norm'
Apparently, they haven't figured it out yet. That certainly does not inspire confidence!
I lost confidence in my doctor a few years ago, but I am somewhat limited in my choices because of Illinois Medicaid regulations
@kobesbuddy (46359)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@JolietJake My doctor closed the office in Standish and kept his other office, which is 65 miles away from my home. The office in Standish had another doctor move in, I've never laid eyes on the man! They hired two PAs, that do most of the work. I have no other options, most doctors aren't taking new patients.
• San Jose, California
@JolietJake We have the same problems in California... and they go even further to restrict it by county, which makes it very frustrating if you happen to move from one county to another.
@kobesbuddy (46359)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I've had this happen, but a little bit different. She asks me at times, what I'm there for. I basically told the P.A., 'you told me to make an appointment and come back in three months.' Again, she looks intently at the paper work, then asks are you still taking such and such medication? I replied, 'No, you told me to stop taking it.' She had no idea why I was there! My blood pressure was 230/120 in the E.R. Surely there must be something that isn't right She acted like this was my very first visit!
I've been sent to a few different places (by my doctor) before...which are all supposed to be part of the same corporation...but they can't seem to find half the things that should be in my file 50% of the time. It really gets aggravating.
@kobesbuddy (46359)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@JolietJake They don't have a clue, what's going on! I've refreshed her memory about ten times, that I'm a diabetic. That should be in my medical records, but she couldn't find it. I was diagnosed five years ago and they have been writing my prescription for Metformin every month. Why would I be taking this medication for five year, for no reason?
• San Jose, California
@JolietJake We had a doctor send the other half to a lab (within the same medical group as the doctor) to get some tests run, only to find out when we got to the lab that while the doctor takes our insurance, the lab does not.
@nela13 (6892)
• Portugal
Maybe you should see another doctor.
@rakski (15910)
This is medicine for sugar, right? How come they have to give you different brands?!? Did they get back to you already?
I won't hear back until tomorrow (it is 8 PM here). I've actually been taking three kinds, these two and Metformin
@rakski (15910)
@JolietJake I hope you hear from the doctor. It make us think sometimes if these doctors are really good. aw
@spiderdust (6150)
• San Jose, California
Are you taking 3mg total each day right now, and she wants you to increase it to 4mg daily? Dealing with the state funded doctors is very frustrating. I realize they're overworked and not happy with their jobs, but it's their job to actually care for people. I had a doctor who kept me on a medication that was giving me horrible side effects for 18 months, no matter what I told her. She just kept increasing the dosage instead of switching me to something else. That was a nightmare.
The P.A. wasn't sure if she wanted it changed from 3 to 4 or from 3 to 5 since they are dropping the 5 mg of Tradjenta
@BarBaraPrz (19829)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Does your doctor still use paper records? It's very easy to overlook things when flipping through several sheets. Mine has everything on computer but is so busy she still doesn't know what's going on. So we pretty much have to take care of ourselves. Hope you get it sorted out. Take care.
They use a laptop that is supposed to be hooked to the main server...I see them at the clinic but the hospital records are supposed to be with everything else
@sabtraversa (13326)
Maybe she was getting commissions for prescribing Tradjenta, there could be a business behind it. She doesn't sound very passionate about her job, or you are a patient she hates, I don't know. That's sad and frustrating as well.
Geez, that makes me feel more confident of the medical world - not! I think you're better off with another cuppa coughee !
@nanette64 (17610)
• Fairfield, Texas
Doctors....can't live without 'em; can't shoot 'em @JolietJake .
Well, turns out what she really wants is for me to take 2-2 mg pills in the morning and 2-2 mg pills in the evening. Which is twice the amount the lady tried to tell me yesterday. Glad they finally got it straight.
@nanette64 (17610)
• Fairfield, Texas
@JolietJake Yeah, cause what's the point of taking a med if it's not the right dosage!!
Vince went to some specialist who told him it would be a good idea to take a selenium supplement but she had no idea how much. How stupid is that?
I wonder how these people got their degree at times
Sad to say, but doctors are often "bribed" by big pharma companies representative to prescribe their products. May be it's the only reason why she prescribed Tradjenta.
Hard to trust a doctor like that. Hope this is sorted out for you.
@wolfgirl569 (4730)
• Marion, Ohio
I hope you get an answer first thing in the morning at least. It is wrong that the insurance companies can dictate a patients care like they do. I know that was sometimes a problem for my parents. The doctor would prescribe something and then they would call to tell him they could not afford that. He would then have to research to find one that worked and insurance would cover
They wouldn't want instructions like that would they? It really bothers me when medical staff are so non-shallent over our dosage levels.