Humans always feel the need to find a cause!

@sabtraversa (13348)
Italy
We don't accept coincidences, and that's how we have superstitions. But same happens with correlations. We often think correlations always demonstrate a cause-effect mechanism. I will link you a funny page that shows how this is not always the case. This "matter" is also described more implicitly in the book I'm reading. The review is not ready because I'm not done reading, of course. I'll reveal it deals with mythology, enough said, I guess.
Why do these things correlate? These 15 correlations will blow your mind. (Is this headline sensationalist enough for you to click on it yet?)
@AKRao24 (19782)
Thanks a lot dear @sabtraversa , if you permit me to stay away from this topic....these things are beyond my understanding! Thanks!
@sabtraversa (13348)
@AKRao24 Yeah, maybe it's a little complex, I apologize.
@AKRao24 (19782)
@sabtraversa , I never meant to say like that...I being a rationalist want to stay away from such things at public platform to avoid controversies and playing with the feelings of others! Thanks friend!
@sabtraversa (13348)
@AKRao24 Oh, now I see. Yes, it sucks opinions and feelings can be so easily manipulated.
@OneOfMany (12420)
I wonder how many curves they had to look at to get such wonderful matches? Perhaps we should tell Nicholas Cage to stop acting to save lives! lol I still love the time I got mad, pointed across town and said, "In three days, a sinkhole will open up in southside in the road, swallow a car and part of a house." And when it happened just like that, people who had heard me said, "it's freaky, but just a coincidence." Word for word... it happened exactly like I said. And those people heard it!
@sabtraversa (13348)
@OneOfMany It looks like a lot of work, indeed. And you should stop cursing towns and people.
@OneOfMany (12420)
@sabtraversa Haha, well, that was during my elemental days. I was responsible for three 100-year floods in that town too! In the second one, one of the bridges above the river even went underwater! lol The bottom of the bridge is 38 feet above the water too! We had waters that were 42 feet higher than normal. :P
@sabtraversa (13348)
@OneOfMany Elemental days? Hmm, those must have been water days, but I'm not too sure. Who's the imp now?
The diagrams are very surprising indeed. It's enough for me to look at them and smile or think, "Oh, really?!" but I'm not keen on any interpretations. I'm sure the list of possible correlations is endless. This is something you can work on if you're in prison in solitary confinement. It will occupy your mind for a long time. :-) It is certainly fodder for conspiracy theorists.
@sabtraversa (13348)
@MALUSE True, the list is likely to be endless, and time-consuming. Exactly! You can potentially find correlations for whatever you want to "prove", and conspiracy theorists take advantage of this little "human weakness".
@alberello75 (18019)
• Genova, Italy
Many times we think that everything is a "case effect." Once, maybe two? No, we do not go too far with this hypothesis, often, it is not this way. Example maybe off topic. A sudden computer bug. Ok, once I call it a case. But if it is repeated for the second time, well, I would try to understand the "upstream" causes For example, do you know the consequences of CPU-stress (99%) for 4 hours? This what happened to me! Does anyone know the program, CPU-Z?
@sabtraversa (13348)
@alberello75 What does CPU-Z do? I usually rely on the Task Manager to check my CPU activity. Well, they say "once is an accident, twice is a coincidence, but three times is a pattern", so I guess we need AT LEAST three times. But at the same time, we might think it's a cause but in reality it's another, or it happens to be totally casual, no matter the correlations and coincidences.
@alberello75 (18019)
• Genova, Italy
@sabtraversa In my way of thinking, already the second time, I'm sorry but it is not a coincidence! However to explain the mess I have combined: There is a program called, CPU-Z (but not recommended if you can not use it carefully!) It has a function called STRESS-CPU. This leads to 100% working on the CPU, to calculate its performance. But this should be done for a short time. By doing this work, obviously the system goes into overheat! Risk of damage! Possible fusion of the processor! Well, I "as a stupid", I forgot it working for 4 hours! I think I did a damage! That's all. I must now find an APP, for troubleshooting diagnostics. Do you know something? Thanks Alessandro
@sabtraversa (13348)
@alberello75 Why would you stress the CPU? To make the computer run faster? I only downloaded a program for battery diagnostics, but not for the CPU, so I have no experience, I don't really know.
This is interesting, it seems that the decreased consumption of Margarine made the number of divorces drop.
@sabtraversa (13348)
@LadyDuck I knew margarine was bad! And now I have proof! It causes divorces!
@sabtraversa I thought the same.
@WorDazza (10103)
• Manchester, England
It's also human nature to remember the one time something weirdly coincidental occurred but completely forget the almost infinite number of times nothing coincidental occurred. It's just a symptom of looking for a purpose in an ultimately pointless existence!!
@sabtraversa (13348)
@WorDazza That's deep.
@WorDazza (10103)
• Manchester, England
@sabtraversa Yeah, not bad considering it was about 7:30am when i wrote it
The correlations are so strange on that page. Yep, cause-and-effect absent with those correlations on that page.
@sabtraversa (13348)
@Corbin5 I got the inspiration from an Italian chemist and YouTuber who made a video regarding the correlation between chocolate consumption and nobel laureates in some countries. It was used by articles to explain why chocolate is good for cognitive functions. Chocolate isn't really what makes people smart enough to win nobel prizes, of course. There's a factor that links the two, which is GDP (wealth to afford chocolate and education), but you know, some people will still use meaningless correlations as proofs to their beliefs. The authors of the page were creative, as I doubt someone truly thought Nicholas Cage's acting would cause people to drown in pools and needed to prove it with a correlation.
@sabtraversa I do understand "People who drowned after falling out of a fishing boat correlating with the marriage rate in Kentucky." .The more drowned, the fewer to marry.
@kepweng (16794)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
i think Humans are More Scarrier than Ghost or wild animals
@sabtraversa (13348)
@kepweng Yes, they can be. Actually, I fear ghosts and animals about the same, as I sometimes consider them as weird as humans.
Very interesting and, thanks for sharing.
@sabtraversa (13348)
@TRBRocks420 Glad you found it to be interesting, my pleasure.
Thanks for sharing. I find things like this very interesting.
@sabtraversa (13348)
@RasmaSandra Food for thought, so to speak. And some entertainment too.