Is that love?

pixabay image
I wonder how many women harbor a secret desire to be tied up or dominated by their partner. Before the movie "fifty Shades Of Grey" hit the cinemas in 2015, there were many demonstrations from various women's groups hoping to have it banned. Not only were their efforts futile, but the movie drew large crowds including women in droves - and sales for duct tape and other paraphernalia used in the film rose dramatically. It should also be noted that the movie was directed by a woman - and based on a novel written by a woman. Did you see the movie? Was it much ado about nothing? Can any form of abuse be a part of love?
I refuse to see the movies, but did read the books. To be honest, I enjoyed all three, but would never let myself be abused like that. It takes two to tango.
Some say the movie was boring, and the books are more entertaining. Yes - it does take two to tango.
@DianneN Okay. I see.
I did not see the movie. I think love has nothing to do with that form of abuse.
@Icydoll (23596)
It's my opinion too Deborah..
People have strange tastes it would seem.
@caopaopao (12377)
I agree with you, friend.
I've never seen the movie, and don't plan on it. I don't approve of abuse of any type and that kind is insane.
People do get up to a lot of weird stuff.
@Kandae11 Yes, they do.
I try to see this movie but shut it off.this is from the younger generationn What ever happen to Mae West
I agree - those old movies are classics - and I think the stars back then were better looking.
@sabtraversa (13333)
I'm not a psychologist or an anthropologist, but many women are into that, for several reasons. The movie was boring, and I didn't read the book. I asked a classmate, who was reading the book, what it was about, she said "go buy it". That made me angry, and I wouldn't ever buy it. I only asked what the topic was, ugh. I saw a similarity with Twilight and The Beauty and the Beast (Disney's), when it comes to the plot. There's a weird guy that frightens most people, but a girl thinks he's simply misunderstood, falls in love and tries to "rescue him from the darkness" or whatever. And again, that's something many women enjoy as well. I don't know if it was abuse, I believe it was manipulation. Anastasia was in love, and she accepted to play the submissive role. She knew nothing about it, but accepted because she didn't want to lose Mr Grey. However, she ended up enjoying some of the games. But I don't know much about the story anyway. I fell asleep at some point, during the movie.
Well said. I didn't watch the movie - but I do know that some women and men are into bondage type behavior - all in the name of love.
I have seen the movie and I found it extremely boring. I would never let a man abuse me.
Many have said that the movie is boring.
@Kandae11 I bought the DVD, I had to stop the movie and continue the day after, it made me sleep.
@LadyDuck Then I guess it was - much ado about nothing.
@AKRao24 (20725)
I don't have faintest idea about the movie! But I think it is not possible to have abuse be a part in love! As far as I am concerned its understanding, exchange of mutual respect and emotions together with feelings that can make a love successful one! Thanks @Kandae11!
@sabtraversa (13333)
@AKRao24 Exactly, abuse (and manipulation) shows lack of respect, that goes against the concept of love. Unfortunately, the insecurities of people can create jealousy and possessiveness, some see them as a demonstration of love, but they go a little too far when respect is challenged. It's really hard to have a pure love, some negative emotions are always likely to pop up.
I agree with your thoughts. @AKRao24
@AKRao24 (20725)
@sabtraversa , I fully agree with your views and respect them dear friend! God bless!
@nanette64 (17867)
• Fairfield, Texas
Definitely would not have wanted to see it; although my husband at the time probably sure would have @Kandae11 .
I doubt if women who have been treated roughly by men (and I don't mean play rough) would want to watch this movie - I won't.
@nanette64 (17867)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Kandae11 Yeah, no kidding. I don't want to remember mine actually raping me.
I think that anything people do in private is fine, as long as both partners enjoy it equally. Personally I would run a mile from that sort of thing.
I would run too.
I have not seen the movie nor read the books but as long as both parties agree, who am I to tell them what is acceptable.
If both parties agree of course. What they do when they are together is their business.
@epiffanie (10408)
Wow! really? the sales of duct tapes? .. I haven't seen the movie.. But I have the books because I was curious about the fuss .. It's like 4 years now that I have the books but haven't read it yet .. LOL! .. Now I have to go and find where they are ..
Yes indeed, the hardware stores did brisk business with the sale of duct tape and rope among other things.
I didn't see the movie or read the book. After hearing so much about it I decided I didn't want to.
I read the reviews - and neither the book or the movie would be my cup of tea.
@Bullshark (709)
• Netherlands
No, I haven't seen it. It's not Romeo's kind of movie...
That's nice to know.
• Netherlands
@Kandae11 Romeo loves watching romcoms...
@Bullshark What would that be?
@LeaPea2417 (21621)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I refused to see the movie and read the books. I think that bondage stuff is a perverted form of sexuality. I have never had that desire to do any of that. No, bondage is not love.
Hard to understand why the movie was such a hit.
@LeaPea2417 (21621)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@Kandae11 I don't understand the popularity of it.
@porwest That's quite true - otherwise the movie would have bombed. And not forgetting the increase in sales of duct tape, rope and other stuff used in the movie. And two sequels following soon after.
@1hopefulman (31707)
I did not see the movie nor do I want to. Not my kind of movie.
Not my kind of show either.
@1hopefulman (31707)
@Kandae11 "Can any form of abuse be a part of love?" I personally don't think so. I think it is a sick mind that views abuse as love.
@1hopefulman It is amazing the kind of things that turn people on.
I have heard but not read or watched the book and movie. I think that there are all sorts of people in this world. There are men who want to be dominated too.
Yes indeed, From what I have read it would seem that more men are into it than women.
@Kandae11 I don´t trust statistics in those subjects. People don´t tell. And I´m not much interested.
@marguicha You are correct - people don't tell . And they don't have to - it is their business.
@mlgen1037 (29634)
• Manila, Philippines
No, I havent because I am not thrilles with the story. People become oblivious of the fact that abuse is never okay. We were conditioned to believe that these abuses are okay. This is money and they profit out of it.
It was such a big hit - they decided to make two more.
@mlgen1037 (29634)
• Manila, Philippines
@Kandae11 yes, thats right. But I still would not watch it.
@mlgen1037 Neither would I.
I saw all of the movies and I feel a little different. But I won't bother explaining.
Yes, I read that two sequels came out -- Fifty Shades Darker and Fifty Shades Freed. How did the movies make you feel?
@Kandae11 There were things I could not manage but the last one has a few parts i liked. I tried to get b to watch it but he refuses.
@sharon6345 Maybe it is just not his thing.
@nela13 (7744)
• Portugal
It is just a movie and a story, don't know why there were women's groups trying to ban it from the cinema. I read the first book but I couldn't finish it as it wasn't my style.
Their efforts were uncessful - and two sequels were made.
@nela13 (7744)
• Portugal
@Kandae11 when will the third movie be on theatres?
@nela13 Not sure - sometime this year I suppose.
@FayeHazel (19111)
Oh this is funny, you're not going to believe this but I'm watching "Fifty Shades Darker" as we speak. I don't think that the relationship between the 2 main characters, Christian and Anastasia is a healthy one, but I do think Domination and submission can be part of a healthy relationship, as long as boundaries are respected and communication is constant, with no effort of manipulation. Hypothetically speaking I would think it would be most fun to be the sort of person who likes both ;-)
Some say the movie was boring - is Fifty Shades Darker any better? Well, it is their business, couples who are in agreement can choose how they wish to be stimulated.
@FayeHazel (19111)
@Kandae11 I actually liked "Fifty Shades Darker" moreso. There is a mystery story in there along with all of the, ah.... other... content .... and "Darker" focused more on the mystery. :-)