Do you ever think about what you'd do in potential car crash situations? Do bad drivers sometimes tick you off just a bit?

Pleasant Hill, California
The other day I was sitting on a low wall, taking a smoke break from work. I heard sirens and saw a fire truck racing toward the intersection where I was sitting. The light for the firetruck changed from green to yellow, and by that time most people had pulled over so the firetruck could go through the intersection. A jerk to the firetruck's left (my right) was either texting or thought he could "beat" the fire truck through the intersection. The firetruck slammed on its brakes, and the man (in a large SUV) made it through the intersection. As this was unfolding, I flashed on my old physics classes, and realized that if the two vehicles collided, much of the matter would be deflected toward exactly where I was sitting. My muscled tensed as I made ready to sprint to my left if they hit. After the SUV "made it," I started thinking about what I would have done had I been at that intersection, but driving. A firetruck t-boning me on the driver's side at 40 mph would probably kill me. I decided that I would have thrown the truck in reverse and floored it, had a collision been imminent. As it was, I finished my cigarette, bought a Ginger Ale, and headed back to work. Do you do these kinds of calculations? Do bad drivers sometimes miff you, even if just wee bit?
Everywhere has bad drivers, and they sure do scare me. I have some what thought of it.. but mostly when kids are in the car.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I drive even more cautiously when kids are in the car.
@TheHorse As one should. But. No matter how safe you are, there's still bad drivers and distracted drivers out there. Which is why people should put their kids in the right car seats, though most dont.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Courtlynn Most don't. Where? Even when I worked in the "'hood," people put their kids in car seats. At least the ones I worked with did.
People are dumb, then one day Karma gits em.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I hope so. But I'm not so sure. We have a lot of hit-and-run incidents here in California. Many people drive with no license because they're worried about deportation, and tend to avoid DMV and the courts.
It's like that here too @TheHorse we also have a lot of whacky drivers from Juarez, they love to pull in front of 18 wheelers on I10 doin 30mph when the 18 wheeler is doin 50 or more, dang stupid if ya ask me.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@rebelann What are they trying to accomplish?
Not a wee bit but a lot! I know I'm a careful driver and yes I do drive fast sometimes but I'm always aware of the traffic rules and I always exercise caution when doing so, I'm never reckless at all. But I know I don't own the road and I can't control bad drivers. So I am very much aware I could still get into an accident. Thus when I'm driving I make myself very aware of my own driving plus the other people's driving.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Have you been able to avoid accidents thus far?
@TheHorse Several times already. Because I travel to my parents' home every weekend and I use the high way. No speed limit.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@toniganzon No speed limit! Wow! How fast do people drive?
@mlgen1037 (29642)
• Manila, Philippines
My good friend, Dont ask me about calculations, I suck at that and I think it could get worst. Hehehe
• Pleasant Hill, California
Well, computing "momentum" is pretty easy. It's just mass times velocity.
@mlgen1037 (29642)
• Manila, Philippines
@TheHorse To be honesty, my head is swirling. I suck in Physics, my dear friend. But I wont mind if you teach me.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@mlgen1037 A 10 pound object is moving at 10 miles per hour. What is its momentum, expressed in (I forget what)? Hint: Momentum equals mass x speed.
Bad drivers miff me off a lot, not just a little bit.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I have the gift of understatement, don't I? I sometimes phone in license plate numbers, if I can get them. But I don't know if it does any good.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@JudyEv Why did they ask for a carcass?
• Pleasant Hill, California
@JudyEv Hmm. Maybe they're looking for certain diseases.
@1hopefulman (29931)
I try to drive calmly and very defensively knowing the way that people drive. However, things can happen. Thankfully, I have been in very few accidents in the over 40 years of driving and there were never any injuries at all. So far, so good! It's always good to try to learn from situations that could happen and try to figure out the best way to avoid hurting oneself.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I agree. Like you, I have driven far and never caused an accident. I drive defensively, and try to stay aware of what's happening around me.
@1hopefulman (29931)
@TheHorse That's wise! Too bad, that so many are driving recklessly.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@1hopefulman I don't quite understand it. Maybe they're just angry people.
@Starmaiden (6543)
I was walking home one evening after attending a hockey game and there were two guys walking towards me. Out of the blue, both of them (at the same time) jumped off of the sidewalk and on to the grass at the park to the side of the street. At that time, I felt the heat of a car's front end on the back of my legs. Suddenly, a white car sped out from behind me and up the street so fast it only left a streak! The two guys....who were chinese and couldn't speak a word of english... ran up to me talking a blue streak in Chinese. I told them to pinch me so I'll know I'm still alive!
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm glad you survived. That sounds pretty scary.
@TheHorse My guardian Angel was with me that night.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Starmaiden Do those things really exist? Or is it random chance?
People used to pull off to the side of the road and let emergency vehicles have the right of way. Have you tried the new Ginger ale with lemonade. I think it's pretty good. If you like tangy flavor. I bet it will be a great thirst quencher this summer.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I have not. Who makes it?
@TheHorse .....Canada Dry.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@celticeagle Oh, I like their Ginger Ale. I have not tried the product you mentioned.
@ivanituut (1933)
I'm not good at calculations to be honest
• Pleasant Hill, California
Well, you don't need to know any formal calculations to know that a large fire truck broadsided on the left side by a large SUV would be deflected very slightly to the right. How much? Hard to say unless you have mass and velocity of both vehicles.
@ivanituut (1933)
@TheHorse nice thanks for the advice well appreciated
• Pleasant Hill, California
@ivanituut I'm glad I'm still alive, in spite of that idiot driver. Had I been killed, I'd be ticked off, as I'm enjoying life right now.
I try to watch and I have pulled over when semi`s would serve and almost bump cars out if the way..... Better to see it and get out of the way before it happens.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Semis struggle in really high winds.
@TheHorse And while the driver text and eats.Seen both before.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@andriaperry Among semi drivers? Is NOBODY professional anymore?
I do not drive, but I have my eyes on the road all the time when my husband drives. You can make all those calculations AFTER, but accidents happen in the snap of a finger.
• Pleasant Hill, California
They can. But I've avoided accidents with quick thinking.
@TheHorse My husband has also avoided accident, sometimes unfortunately you are stuck in the traffic and there is nothing you can do.
• Preston, England
I see lots of drivers I wonder how they survive so long - I do often play out in my head how I'd cope faced with fire, cars sinking in rivers, plummeting elevators, etc. Most realistically my response would be screaming and wetting myself and dying horribly
• Pleasant Hill, California
Well, yes, there is the ideal and the real. Heh.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I too have wondered how they survive so long. And also how they could still be on the road.
Talk about this... yesterday, when we went to the hospital with my kids. We saw an armoured van from a bank and a car crashed to each other. it is obvious that the car was at fault. The traffic got heavy and the driver of the van was worried maybe because it got money in it. Bad drivers will really have to be punished. We should promote defensive driving to avoid this kind of problem.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Here in California, many bad divers just flee the scene and are never caught. I actually witnessed such a crash as I was returning to the Bay Area from Santa Barbara on Highwy 101. I think all of us who are not criminals should engage in defensive driving.