I texted a stranger.

I currently have a for sale ad posted on Craigslist. I prefer e-mailing only until the buyer is serious on meeting and that is when I will provide my contact information. However, buyers prefer you to text/call them regardless. I exchanged a few e-mails to a potential buyer then he told me to text him an address. I decided to text him & didn't get a response (30 mins passed). I referenced his first email/last e-mail and noticed they were both different numbers. I texted the last e-mail I read and that number ended up being wrong and his original email to me was correct. I ended up texting Sorry, wrong number to the person I texted that never responded. Do you ever respond to text messages that are not intended to you and let the person know they have the wrong number? Have you ever been texted accidentally from a stranger? Whomever got my text probably thought we were doing something fishy because I wrote Hello (their name), I'm Michelle. I will meet you at X time, address (luckily) it was just a park and not an actual home address.
@hereandthere (33020)
years ago, i kept getting a text from a guy wanting to buy jason's blackberry. i finally told him i'm not jason and i've never owned a blackberry. i also used to get monthly reports from a government agency in excel sheets. i finally told them my real name and that i've never worked in government.
Wow that would be really annoying to get monthly reports from a government agency. That is crazy! I think I'd have to change my #
@infatuatedbby they both stopped when i texted and emailed them and convinced them they have the wrong person and to please delete my number and email
@hereandthere That is really good. But I would hate to have to provide identification information (name to them) when you told them they got the wrong number to start with.
@Srbageldog (8254)
Whenever I get a text from a stranger, I let them know they have the wrong number. I wish other people would do the same. One time I texted what I thought was my friend's number, letting her know I got a new phone number, and she never responded. I texted her again some time later to tell her I was sorry about her nephew passing away, and only then did the person bother to tell me I had the wrong number. Like, why didn't they tell me that to begin with? And here I thought maybe she was mad at me...turned out I had entered the wrong number into my phone!
Text messages that look to be good to true (like those scams), I will go and block the number immediately. Had I received a text message like you did (2nd time around) for sure, I would write back I'm sorry you have the wrong number, that'll be the nicest thing someone can do at least right! I am sorry to hear her nephew passed. :( But then I also gave it the benefit of the doubt where it could be an older person who doesn't know text messaging, or the phone does not exist? I have no clue.
@infatuatedbby I do the same. I wish they had let me know I had the wrong number to begin with, I was worried that I had upset her in some way and that she wasn't talking to me! I almost didn't send the text about her nephew, but I'm glad I did or else I would have never realized I'd entered her number into my phone wrong! Her nephew was only a couple years older than us (she was a late in life baby and her siblings are all older) and my boyfriend was friends with him...small world. Very sad that he passed so young, his family is very tore up over it. That is very true as well. Older people often don't know how to use all the features on their phones, and it's easy to accidentally type the wrong number. Glad you got it sorted out, though!
@Icydoll (26022)
I never messaged any stranger wrongly ..even though I receive any message from stranger I don't even respond back and tell that they wrong.
I accidentally texted the wrong person because the interested buyer provided me the incorrect phone number (swap a digit). I have picked up an incorrect phone number and say wrong number, but I have not recalled getting a text message from a stranger. I don't know if I'd ignore or respond. Depends on the time/situation, I suppose.
@Icydoll (26022)
@infatuatedbby I can understand that friend,it do happens accidentally sometimes..I do check twice before texting.
@Icydoll Yes, I will double check next time before texting because I could have sent something important, or privacy (like disclose an address) or something to the wrong person.
I had tried it before. This person keeps on sending text messages in my mobile phone. I asked him to stop in a polite way.
I hope he took it well and stopped.
@infatuatedbby I think he is. If not, then I need to talk directly to his company.
@Shavkat but how’d you know his company in the text msg ?
Yes both have happened to me before, if someone texts I text back, but don't answer calls I don't know.
I don't answer calls I don't know either.
I cna't tell once I texted in the past few months. Lol.I don;t often use this service.
That is ok. Hopefully no one strange texts you.
@sharon6345 I see, that is okay. It is not good to be distracted by our phones often too.
@ivanituut (1922)
Just beware and keep safe, it's stranger that's why we are not sure if the strange safe to with
Well the interested buyer accidentally sent the wrong phone number (in the 2nd email) but the 1st e-mail was correct. I was safe, went with my fiancé, but yes it is important to double check.
@Icydoll (26022)
Yeah we need to be beware and safe
@Icydoll Yes, for sure. I'm glad I disclosed the park address and not my actual home or something.
@AKRao24 (21416)
I never respond to any strangers ! yes I receive those fraud messages about lot of money lying in the bank and they want to en cash it trough my bank account blah blah blah several times which I delete immediately without thinking twice! Thanks @infatuatedbby!
Oh if you receive fraud msg I understand but this one was me saying hi to someone & meeting them at a local spot lol. But definitely I delete & block scam text/calls.
@AKRao24 (21416)
@infatuatedbby ! That is so nice of you to delete that dear friend! Thanks! Stay blessed!
@nomus24g (25162)
Yes, somebody from Bangladesh had emailed me few pics of heavy machinery and asked for a quotation...it was clearly not meant for me, so I wrote him back...u never know his buiness might be impacted thinking that his client rejected his mail
That was really nice you wrote nice to him and considerate as his job may be at harm. :)
@nomus24g (25162)
@infatuatedbby I am always nice to other ...the irony is that others aren't nice to me
Long time ago when I did more Craigslist or Freecycle stuff, I preferred not to give out my phone number at all (I didn't even text at the time). Emailing was best for me, but I guess these days people prefer a quick text instead. I did have to respond to a stranger text once . . . he kept bugging me about some job interview that he wanted to follow up on - and obviously I was not the right person. But after that he texted twice still and I had to convince him I was NOT that person.
I hate disclosing phone numbers! I am usually good about not having to. I was able to make a Craigslist sale last month without having to. It seems like if I have to give them my number, I don't sell. But with this current sale I am trying to do is a bit more complicated. It is for my aunt, and the item I am trying to sell is a ... boat in which is in my uncles name (whom passed 7 years ago) so........... if I do sell it, we'd have to go the DMV & show she has right to sell with her documents to the DMV to transfer to the new buyer. BUT, that also means the boat has not been used in 7 years and I/my fiancé have no clue about boats HOWEVER, if I do sell it. I get a commission and I'm all for side gigs
@infatuatedbby Well a boat, yah, that's a pretty big, important sale - more complex than having to sell a normal everyday item. For that kind of sale, I guess both parties would want the quickest contact info. Well good luck if you haven't sold it already . . . I would have no clue what to do with a whole boat!!!
@much2say I have not reposted yet like I normally would because I am awaiting for my cousin (aunts daughter) to check if they owe anything on the boat as far as dmv fees. Just to double check but she's been busy & hasn't done it.
It never happened to me, this is something that can be dangerous if you text important info.
Yes, exactly! And it was an address of the park so glad it was nothing more private.
@infatuatedbby It would have been a problem if you gave your personal address.
@LadyDuck It would really be. I would feel really uneasy especially since the person did not tell me you've got the wrong number.
@moffittjc (46199)
• Gainesville, Florida
Wait a minute....you texted a complete stranger but you won't text me? haha I don't recall any time that I have ever texted the wrong person, but on at least two occasions I've been texted by mistake. I like to play along with those texts and respond like I know them! lol Or, sometimes just for fun, when my friends text me and it I'm too busy to text them back for a few hours, I'll mess with them when I finally get the chance. I'll respond back with texts like "Do I know you?" Or "who the hell is this?
Hahah WELL, not intentionally. Hahah how mean! I once had a friend get a new number and spook me for the longest time saying he was outside my house, yada ya he knows where I live. And he'd be hinting out stuff and I was so annoyed and paranoid.
@moffittjc (46199)
• Gainesville, Florida
@infatuatedbby Ooh, that is the ultimate in mean-ness what your friend did. That was downright crazy! What if you had called the police?
@moffittjc I did threaten to call the police and that is when my "then-friend" told me his name. We do not any longer speak. But hmmm wonder if I should now that he's a successful entrepreneur Though we are face book friends, but I don't speak to him....... anymore. But I was so scared/spooked!
@zarlamain (24874)
Fortunately, this has not happened to me before. I'm glad you texted an apology to the owner of that phone number though. He or she probably thought it was strange previously, but your new text helped clear up the situation.
Yes, I will double check again next time before texting.
@zarlamain (24874)
@infatuatedbby You did fine. It's the other guy who was fishy using two different numbers.
@zarlamain The man typed it incorrectly, his number.
@mlgen1037 (29623)
• Manila, Philippines
Michelle, I laughed at the last part of your discussion. But they should have at least replied that you sent it to the wrong person. I experienced that before I texted a number and all along I thought it was my friend's number and then she told me never to text her again. I replied that have I known you were not my friend, I wouldnt bother texting you haahaha.
Hahah, yes. I am going to double check before I text now.
@mlgen1037 (29623)
• Manila, Philippines
@infatuatedbby Yes. We learn and we laugh at those mistakes.
@mlgen1037 Yes absolutely lol.
@MsBooklover (4099)
Most people who know me realize that calling me is fruitless. They text me. If I don't know the number, I don't get too involved. I receive my share of spam. I do not have time look at all the numbers.
That is completely understandable.
@infatuatedbby It is a time saver.
@cintol (8306)
Haha, I have never done that but I can imagine how you felt when you did. Thank goodness you gave the address to a park and not your real home.
Yes! I never meet anyone on Craigslist at my actual home, unless it is because I sold a car and you can't hide your home address from the title anyway.
@cintol (8306)
@infatuatedbby Very true
@YrNemo (14768)
I texted my neighbor warning her about her rabbits a few times, didn't know that I was texting a wrong number. (Strangers teased me with some weird replies, and that was when I realized my mistakes.)
Aww! Glad you realized you got the wrong number eventually.
@YrNemo (14768)
@KrauseHome (35514)
It can be embarassing. I have text back before and even called
Yes it can be embarrassing. I was overwhelmed since I left an address and no one texted back. Luckily it was a park address and not my actual location.
Yikes! All I've done was text drunken photos of myself to Dr. Jay thinking I was texting them to myself. So embarrassing!!!!!
HEHEHE. I remember that post.
@xiaolisu (2428)
that happens when I was on a questionnaire survey i dislike
Oh I don't give surveys my phone number.