Dating Scams

@sprite1950 (11352)
Corsham, England
Last night I watched a programme which showed how a UK woman was conned out of £1.7 million through a dating scam. She believed she was talking to a man from another country who repeatedly asked her for large sums of money. She was not a stupid woman and owned her own business so I ask myself, how could she possibly not have seen this coming after he asked for the first amount of money as alarm bells would have been ringing for me. When she had no more money to give the calls and emails from the so called "suitor" stopped and it was then she contacted the police who discovered that two men had set up an elaborate scam from an address in the UK. They were jailed for around 3 years but she didn't get a penny back. How can a supposedly intelligent woman be conned this way?
I think these things do happen a lot these days but we need to be careful
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
I would never be fooled like that. If someone asked me to pay for their air fare over here I would know right away.
@Icydoll (13162)
Yeah we need to be very careful..it's happening a lot
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
@Icydoll The internet has made it possible for people to be scammed all over the world.
@mlgen1037 (15835)
• Manila, Philippines
She was fooled and she gave in to the feeling that she is being loved. Manipulated. I feel sad for her.
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
I couldn't understand that she didn't realise the first time he asked her for money. Love really is blind!
@mlgen1037 (15835)
• Manila, Philippines
@sprite1950 Well, that is true. Happened to me once but at least I got a retribution. But I really feel sad for her as she loss millions in exchange for real love.
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
@mlgen1037 It happened to you? What dating site was that?
@Berrygal (2566)
That's what loneliness can cause
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
Yes I think that is the main reason behind it
@Berrygal (2566)
@sprite1950 definitely
@mayka123 (10287)
I have heard of a lot of such cases. Cannot understand how educated women get conned so easily. Its a case of heart ruling over head
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
It's quite sad that women and men and willing to risk everything in pursuit of love.
@mayka123 (10287)
@sprite1950 Yea. When in love people often forget to use their brains.
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
@mayka123 I suppose we all lose our heads a little when we are in love but I don't think I could love someone I hadn't met.
@ivanituut (1954)
focus on other things
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
It seems that some people can't
@ivanituut (1954)
@sprite1950 okay i respect
@kepweng (11251)
@ivanituut what things??
@caopaopao (5351)
Though most people are kind, but still there are some bad people. We should be more careful to avoid these kinds of things.
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
There are people all over the world trying to get our money,
@caopaopao (5351)
@gilggg (2671)
• Israel
It is sad to hear that people are exploiting the desire of women who are looking for love. You should definitely be careful about the intranet because there are many crooks who want to take advantage of the weaknesses of other people.
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
Love seems to completely blind the most sensible people.
@gilggg (2671)
• Israel
@sprite1950 I hope that the lesson from your post will be learned by everyone, to beware of online scammers.
@dya80dya (1619)
It's sad what happened.
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
I feel sorry for her but I think she was foolish.
@RodrickH (5999)
I have a post which is called what is the weirdest message you have ever got, it turns out that many people have received dating message
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
Yes I have but I just delete them.
@rheicel (7316)
Why she did have to give a money for dating and it reached for £1.7 million to realize it's a scam.
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
That's what I wondered. She used all the funds from her own business and also the money from her mum's business and lost it all.
@rheicel (7316)
@sprite1950 That's kind of funny. Maybe she has been blackmail by that guy owns a video scandal or something.
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
@rheicel No she thought she was in love and that she would marry him.
@morgoodie (920)
It happens more than you realize. I know someone who was scammed two different times. The first time it was a man who was supposedly a contractor and he was in the middle east or somewhere. He needed money to get back here to the states. Then he needed money for something else. After sending him money, he never showed up and he finally stopped contacting her. Then she meets someone else (personally I think it was the same man) and the whole scenario starts again. Of course she didn't lose as much as the woman you talk about, but still the principle is the same. I can understand a few hundred dollars but millions. I just don't get how the person I know fell for it a second time.
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
Some people are so lonely that when a person takes an interest they lose their head and reason goes out the window but I wouldn't pay any money to a person to come and visit me. If he wanted to see me he would save up and fund the trip himself.
@sprite1950 Exactly what I say!! You do it once and they think you will do it again and again. It's the same with someone who you are dating or living with already. You support them and they will take advantage of you. I don't need a man that bad to pay send him money to come see me.
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
@morgoodie Me neither. I like spending time on my own but with some people it's all they want in life, to be happy with someone they love.
How is it that she had not a penny back? It's hard to believe that an intelligent woman continue to send money to a stranger. I cannot believe it.
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
When the police caught the men involved they couldn't trace the money. They both got around 18 months in prison. I think there was a third man but he was never found. I know what it feels like to be in love but I would never send money to someone I hadn't met and with all the information out there on dating scams I can't believe she fell for it.
@sprite1950 They should set a rule for Justice, you do not get out of jail until you say where to money is.
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
@LadyDuck I bet they got it out of the country but yes they should have a rule like that. I think the police are of the opinion that if a person is stupid enough to hand all that money over then they deserve to lose it. I felt sorry for her though,
@WorDazza (9864)
• Manchester, England
I am amazed that someone who owned a business successful enough to amass a personal worth of more than £1.7 million could be so stupid. Just goes to show you don't have to be a genius to make money!!!
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
It wasn't all in one go but over time the largest amount being £45,000. She also used the money from her mum's business too. What a plonker!
@WorDazza (9864)
• Manchester, England
@sprite1950 Thats even worse. A one off sting is fair enough but you think she'd have sussed something was wrong over a period of time!
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
@WorDazza That's what I don't understand. Anyone with half a brain would have realised the first time he asked. It's a well known fact they always ask for the air fare over .. and that's how it started. Then there were various other excuses. It's just beyond stupid.
@Jessabuma (13319)
• Baguio, Philippines
We need to be extra careful at these days..
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
We certainly do but I have always gone for men that I can meet and get to know properly and even some of those didn't work out!
@Jessabuma (13319)
• Baguio, Philippines
@sprite1950 hmmmm okay
@kepweng (11251)
are u in dating site?? @Jessabuma
@Manasha (2294)
• Pondicherry, India
this is really sucks, we need to understand the unseen faces through our mind
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
Well I think the most obvious sign that it is a scam is when the scammer starts to ask for money,
@Manasha (2294)
• Pondicherry, India
@sprite1950 anyhow take care in futur
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
@anikoonline (2618)
• Hungary
I think these men are very good at psychology. I read some similar stories and these men give exactly what a woman needs emotionally, they are very emphatic, polite. And I think they pick their victims very carefully.
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
I think they must do a lot research on their victims. They obviously knew that this woman had money.
• Hungary
@sprite1950 I think so. And they need to know some basic information about to woman to make a good first impression.
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
@anikoonline Yes and this woman was obviously taken in by him.
I'm pretty amazed that she had 1.7 million pound in the first place. That's a lot of money to give away.
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
She was a successful business woman. She used the funds from her own business and that of her mum's business. I don't think it was all in one go but over time.
@sprite1950 It's still a huge amount of money.
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
@JudyEv Yes, apparently he came up with lots of feasible excuses .. but really £1.7 million
The word 'supposedly' is the most important one in your post. The woman may be good in her job but dumb as a doornail when it comes to common sense. There's a very good novel written by a Nigerian author who describes the money scam business from the inside. She got a prize for the novel.
I Do Not Come to You by Chance eBook: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
You are absolutely right. I think it's a combination of loneliness and lack of common sense that draws these women (or men) in.
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
@WorDazza That must be true because so many get scammed but do you honestly think you would be taken in by a person who was asking for large amounts of money on a regular basis because I know I wouldn't.
@porwest (2488)
Whenever I hear stories like this it does boggle the mind. One can only wonder what goes through one's head in a situation like this where they don't see the writing on the wall. Too bad she did not get her money back.
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
Well I can sympathise up to a point but to give that much money to someone she had never met is beyond foolish.
@porwest (2488)
@sprite1950 Indeed.
@aureliah (13875)
Once someone asks you for money online, RUN.
@sprite1950 (11352)
• Corsham, England
I think most of us think like that!
@aureliah (13875)
@sprite1950 could be