American Currency Abroad

@porwest (4857)
A couple of years ago my wife and I, along with some family and friends, took a vacation trip to Cancun, Mexico. At the airport, which we found was the worst place to exchange currencies, we all bought Mexican pesos feeling we may need them. Truth is, in Mexico, nearly every time I did a transaction and used pesos instead of American money, there seemed to be an air of disappointment on the part of the Mexicans receiving the money. I am not sure how prevalent it is in other countries that American money is still the preferred method of payment from American tourists. But it sure seemed to be the preference in Mexico. Probably for obvious reasons. Still. I imagine that if I were to travel to Europe, my American currency would not be accepted. And certainly in the United States you cannot buy anything using cash with any other currency than American. If nothing else. It is interesting.
@kepweng (14954)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
in my country u can be a millionaire if your Net worth is $ 20,000 usd
@porwest (4857)
Wow. That would be awesome. What country do you live in?
@porwest Yeah, lets move there.
@porwest (4857)
@andriaperry We could be gazzilionaires. :)
@porwest Jim, I think here you can pay either in shekels or American money and go to a money changer and change the currency.
@porwest (4857)
I have never heard of shekels before. What country are you from?
@porwest Israel and shekel is the currency of our country.
@porwest (4857)
@Hannihar Ah. I did not know that. Thanks.
@ridingbet (53161)
here in my country, some taxi drivers prefer to be paid in dollars.
@porwest (4857)
Probably worth more on the exchange.
@ridingbet (53161)
@porwest but some taxi drivers should not steal much to the foreign passengers. some are abusing and that is what is always posted on Facebook
@porwest (4857)
@ridingbet Well, that's certainly not a good thing.
@anikoonline (3173)
• Hungary
There are some stores (only a few) that accept Euros here, too, not only our national currency. But I don't know any stores that would accept USD.
@porwest (4857)
Good to know if I ever travel to Hungary. :)
• Hungary
@porwest If you ever come here, I will give you some more tips. If I ever travel to Mexico, now I know that I can use USD.
@maximax8 (28256)
I used to have a current account called the Norwich and Peterborough Light Account and it let me spend money abroad without any fees. To keep that account I had to have 5 or more transactions a month. So before a foreign trip I would add money to it. If I wasn't going on a trip I would pay in 1 pence per day for 5 days each month. Annoyingly and upsetting that building society closed all of its current accounts in August 2017. For my last trip I had to have a different currency for each country. I hate getting credit card debt. Although some credit cards are good for foreign spending without fees. Never get foreign currency from an airport. Order it in advance for a considerable saving.
@porwest (4857)
Good to know. In traveling to Mexico in July I am going to ask my bank if I can buy pesos there. Has to be cheaper than anything we paid the last time we were in Mexico.
I know our friend buys up American dollars if she is going on a trip overseas (from Australia). She says it is accepted anywhere.
@porwest (4857)
Yeah, for the most part is tends to be.
I noticed that as well when I went to Mexico. And Jamaica. And Dominican Republic. It kind of spoiled part of the fun for me (using foreign money)
@porwest (4857)
Me too. I kind of WANT to use foreign money, Adds to the experience of it all. At least to me.
I love that you are still using my photo.
@porwest (4857)
For whatever reason, I have always like it.