What Is 'A Blonde Moment' Called in Countries Where People Don't Have Blond(e) Hair?

blonde moment
Uzbekistan
For the members from countries where the prevailing hair colour is dark brown and/or black: The Cambridge Dictionary defines 'have a blonde moment' as "to forget something or do something silly, in a way that is sometimes thought to be typical of women with blonde hair." We should avoid such expressions, shouldn't we? After all, this is an outrageously sexist remark. Yet, I, a blonde woman (formerly genuine, now helped along by a hairdresser and chemical liquids) am of the opinion that some political incorrectness is ok and can spice up life. Thank God I don't live in a country (I won't name it) where people can lose their jobs because of a harmless remark someone finds intrusive. Today I went to the supermarket with my trolley (it's not far from our house). I intended to buy quite a lot and had decided right from the beginning to take a taxi back home. I do that occasionally not only to avoid pulling the trolley but also because the taxidrivers carry my goods up two flights of stairs. They get a nice tip for that and everybody is happy. When I had unpacked four big bags of goods and stowed them away, I could have called the mission 'accomplished'. Yet, I had the vague feeling that something was not as it should be. After some scalp scratching it dawned on me: my trolley was nowhere to be seen! By chance I still had the list of goods I wanted to buy in my pocket. All things on this list were with me and stowed away. Hmm. I called the taxi driver and asked him if he could check if my trolley was still in the boot of his car. He told me at once that he knew it wasn't. Hmm again. I called the information of the supermarket and asked if they could check the area of the rear exit where I had waited for the taxi if there was a lonely trolley. A friendly woman described my trolley and said that it was standing in front of her. I had forgotten my mobile phone and asked a shop-assistant at the lottery and tobacco stand if she could call a taxi for me. Then I went to the exit without my trolley. Why? Search me! Someone found it and took it to the information. On Monday I'll go there and fetch it. Will I be embarrassed? No way! I know enough dark-haired people who have moments which are blonder than blonde. I think I'll have a laugh with whoever will hand me my trolley. ----- Photo. pixabay
@sabtraversa (13355)
Dark hair is a dominant trait; it means that, if you have both dark and blonde genes, the dark one will manifest, but the blonde one will be still there, hidden. So yeah, even dark-haired can be somehow blonde, inside.
• Uzbekistan
Think of it: even people with no hair can have blonde moments! :-)
@sabtraversa (13355)
@MALUSE Definitely.
@MALUSE My husband!!
@LeaPea2417 (23053)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I think the term to use would be "Air Head" moment.
• Uzbekistan
Thank you!
@porwest (9593)
I remember once someone told me after I did something dumb, "It seems to me the only thing in your head is an echo." lol
@LeaPea2417 (23053)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I have very dark brown hair and have done many silly things
• Uzbekistan
That's a comfort for all blondes! :-)
@MALUSE yes, it would appear that hair color doesn't make a difference in having those moments
@xFiacre (6032)
@maluse We often refer to such lapses as senior moments. I suppose that’s ageist.
• Uzbekistan
Let's keep some -ists to have some fun!
@xfiacre @maluse that's what we say here, too - senior moment.
@epiffanie (10447)
Before my hair turned grey, I remember always having "brunette moments"... that's what I called it .. because I didn't want to offend the blonde people ..lol .. These days, I have "grey moments" ..
• Uzbekistan
Who hasn't . . . This afternoon I have to go to the supermarket where I forgot my trolley. :-(
It happens, I am only half blonde, but I have those moments. There is a nice joke that I hope you will appreciate Question "How to define Artificial Intelligence?" Reply "A blonde who dye her hair brown".
• Uzbekistan
Yes, that's funny.
@Ronrybs (8061)
• London, England
I used to hear that expression a lot, but this is the first time in several years. Wonder why
@hereandthere (33343)
i thought the four big bags of groceries would be in the trolley
• Uzbekistan
Tomorrow I'll see what is in the trolley. I only remember putting my light coat in as I felt warm.
@MALUSE so i guess the driver only picked up the groceries to stow in his taxi but left the trolley, thinking it belonged to the supermarket?
• Uzbekistan
@hereandthere No, that's not possible. It isn't a metal trolley of the kind used in supermarkets. It looks a bit like this:
Karabar Halden Insulated Shopping Trolley, Red: Amazon.co.uk: Luggage
@pgntwo (22752)
• Alanya, Turkey
Oh, yes, very good question. Or what about countries where the blonde gene is the predominant one... the map above shows the predominant hair colour in males aged 20 - 30, as an example.
• Uzbekistan
Are you saying that people in 'blond' countries have a lot of blond moments?
@pgntwo (22752)
• Alanya, Turkey
@MALUSE No - the opposite. Where 'blond' is the norm, what's the expression for such occurrences that would be called "a blonde moment" elsewhere? Otherwise, is every moment in such countries, as you say, a 'blond' one?
• Uzbekistan
@pgntwo Should you ever be bored, think about the topic. It'll occupy you for some time. :-) Pity that there are no Swedes on the site.
• Bucharest, Romania
I also had a blonde moment on Friday. I was asked to carry something to another location and I left without the thing that I had to carry to that location but I remembered that I forgot only after I already arrived at the location where I needed to get to. I had to go back to where I left to pick up the stuff that I needed to transport it there and go back again to the location with it. So, instead of 40 km in total I had traveled 80 km due to the fact that I had to go back. I wasted a few fuel of the company's car.
• Uzbekistan
Oh, dear! Hopefully, it was only a moment and not onsetting dementia. ;-)
• Bucharest, Romania
@MALUSE I doubt that I suffer of that thing but it happens sometimes.
@Courage7 (20816)
We call it a dunce moment.
• Uzbekistan
Thanks! That isn't bad, either. You may be interested in this book. :-)
Kill oneself because of a book? Sadly, this happened in real life when John Kennedy Toole (born 1936) realised that no publisher was interested in the...
@Courage7 (20816)
@MALUSE Thanks yes I will have a read of it.
@garymarsh6 (14732)
My son in law is blonde he put a birthday cake on the roof of the car whilst he strapped the children in the car forgot about it and drove off. The cake splattered on the ground! The funniest saying I heard was in America when someone said they had had a "brain fart". Glad you will soon be reunited with your trolley. You could tell them you were momentarily "off your trolley" another saying!
• Uzbekistan
Did you make your son-in-law's blondness responsible for the 'accident'?
@garymarsh6 (14732)
@MALUSE Of course! It's a must!
@sprite1950 (14494)
• Corsham, England
It's true that having blonde hair is associated with being a bimbo (I have blondish hair ). At my stage of life I would say I was having a "senior moment", in fact when I am forgetful my children often tell each other "mum is having a senior moment"
• Uzbekistan
Isn't that mean? As if dark-haired people were more intelligent. 'Senior moment' sounds 'a bit' better.
@sprite1950 (14494)
• Corsham, England
@MALUSE Yes I suppose it is. I think it stemmed from the idea that blonde hair was associated with beauty and if you were beautiful you had no brain, Completely illogical of course. People with all hair colours can be beautiful and intelligent,
I was born blonde myself. And, I am still blonde thanks to coloring my hair to match the blonde I had as a child. It is nice to know that blondes, brunettes, redheads, and those with black hair have moments in which they do something that has them scratching their heads.
• Uzbekistan
Yes, this is indeed comforting, heehee. Nobody is safe from stupid moments. There is nothing to despair, however, as long as it's only for moments that stupidity strikes! :-)
@mlgen1037 (29609)
• Manila, Philippines
If that happened here, even the taxi would not bother to talk to you and your trolley will be gone for good. I think that would really be blonder than blonde moment.
• Uzbekistan
Is that so? Then I'm glad I live here where most people are honest.
@mlgen1037 (29609)
• Manila, Philippines
@MALUSE Unfortunately yes.
@tzwrites (4980)
I think we all have blonde moments but I am curious to see what 'blonde moments' are called in other countries
• Uzbekistan
It's obviously 'senior moments'.
I am interested in seeing what responses you get since youre so right and we have mylotters from all over. This is a good example of another one of those weird cultural sayings. Glad no one stole your phone by the way!
• Uzbekistan
I had forgotten my phone at home which was a good thing in hindsight.
It sounds like a very friendly ending all the way around. People enjoy laughing with you, if you can laugh at yourself. They would not be so friendly if you were mean and aggressive.
@vandana7 (68959)
It sure was more than a moment.....evil grin. But it brought a smile on my face. Thanks for the laugh today. I desperately needed it.
@FayeHazel (22124)
It is nice you have sense of humor about it. I have also heard such moments called "senior moments". I have neither blonde hair, nor am a senior... and I have plenty of those