Walking away ..

By Bess
@epiffanie (10458)
Australia
. April 10, 2018 ... This is the day that I decided to walk away .. April 10, 2018 ... It is a Tuesday .. This is the day that I released myself from that prison with invisible walls. It feels like a sharp knife as long and as wide as me has been pulled out from the top of my head.. Amazing how I survived it all for 50 something years.. I found out that April 10 is National Siblings Day.. I didn't know that there is a "National Siblings Day".. What a coincidence that I found this out at the very date that I decided to cut myself out from all my siblings and their families for no other reason than I deeply feel the need to take very good care of my well being .. and because I want to live the remaining short years of my life without the memories of the miserable past.. While most will be celebrating this day with their siblings, I will celebrate it as the day of my total freedom.. I will celebrate this day as though it's my birthday.. But to those who have siblings to celebrate with, be very grateful that you have siblings to share life experiences with. You are so blessed.. .. Love, respect and treasure one another ... ”To forgive is to set a prisoner free and to discover that the prisoner is you.” ~Lewis B. Smedes~ Bess.. .
@mlgen1037 (29623)
• Manila, Philippines
Bess, I do not know what happened in your past but I am happy that you are free. Nothing beats freedom.
@epiffanie (10458)
The emotional pain went once my decision was made .. And to not have that anymore after 50 something years is a great deal..
@mlgen1037 (29623)
• Manila, Philippines
@epiffanie I am happy for you, Bess. I wish the same for everyone.
@epiffanie (10458)
@mlgen1037 Thank you kindly ..
@caopaopao (12641)
Happiness is always the most important thing in our life. Whatever you do, just be happy.
@epiffanie (10458)
Peace of mind brings happiness .. so that's what we need to pursue ..
@caopaopao (12641)
@epiffanie I really agree with you.
@Jessabuma (33167)
• Baguio, Philippines
Yes very well said ma'am, I am very grateful for having siblings. I'm not aware that there is a national siblings day. But I would love to make every day as national siblings day with my sisters and brothers. God bless you ma'am !
@epiffanie (10458)
Well, you are so blessed Jessa .. to feel you want everyday to be national siblings day says a lot .. treasure your siblings even more .. I feel so happy for you ..
@Jessabuma (33167)
• Baguio, Philippines
@epiffanie yes I will Ma'am, thank you so much.
@vandana7 (68543)
It may not have been easy I am sure. But I am glad that you thought of yourself. Unless we are happy, we can't make another person happy. That is the fundamental rule. If another person makes us miserable, we have to the right for defense. There will be many moments of "did I do right", "won't they think I am selfish", "if only xyz was with me", "will we be together - ever". There will also be moments, where you will feel I wish I had not left. But to be honest, mind makes pain diminutive over a period, so it may feel like that. If the pain is there, it will resurface. So yes, you took the right step, but be brave and accept responsibility for your actions. All the best. Love...hugs..tc
@epiffanie (10458)
Thank you so much for your caring comment .. Yes, I have asked myself those questions hundreds of times before for many years .. But in the end, I have to make my remaining years comfortable for me .. this decision is hundred times more difficult than divorcing a husband of ten years .. but yes, I am responsible for my own actions ..
@YrNemo (14768)
I never knew that that date has anything to do with Sibling stuff, until reading some posts here on Mylot. My siblings are a funny lot, they cared for me in a sense, some were not nice to me in certain years, but in the end, they are people who know me a bit more than others (and I them). I avoid some (mutual) but they are my siblings regardless. Siblings = a funny thing .
@epiffanie (10458)
sibling relationships can be the most difficult to deal with .. yes funny ..
Our mental health should be a top priority, and if siblings were interfering with your mental health, then a goodbye to siblings it should be. Love my sister. Love my brother too, but since he has not asked how our elderly dad is, nor did he ask how our mother was doing in the past, I have no use for him.
@epiffanie (10458)
Yes indeed.. We need to prioritise our well being specially when we are getting older ..
@Morleyhunt (21445)
Not sure what preceded this. I'm sure you had a good reason. My family (8 children) have different relationships.
@epiffanie (10458)
It's been too long that I could no longer go on .. family ties can sometimes stagnate us ..
It would be a relief to feel free at last. I hope there are other family members who you feel comfortable with.
@epiffanie (10458)
thank you Kandase .. I will only concentrate on my children and grandchildren ..
It is good to have a date to mark your freedom, to look back on as a real milestone. Throughout my family things are mixed, but not toxic. I have cousins and uncles I do not hear from. They were toxic. None of us need to live with that.
@epiffanie (10458)
Yes!.. this date will be the only date that I will celebrate from now on .. more important than when I was born..
@Icydoll (26022)
Yeah sometimes it's best to do what is best for you..it's good to know about your birthday..wishes to you and I have crlebrated sibbling's day with brother...:)
@epiffanie (10458)
That's great! I am happy for you that you have a brother to treasure ..
Sometimes you have to do what is the best for you.
@epiffanie (10458)
Yes indeed .. it took a long time .. thanks for the hugs
@rheicel (7296)
Me too I have no idea there's such thing as National Sibling Day I just saw them on Instagram. In God's perfect time, things will be okay with your siblings.
@epiffanie (10458)
Yes.. there's a national day for everything .. maybe there's a "Lola's Day" also.. so I can celebrate ..
@rheicel (7296)
@epiffanie I think in the US there's a Grandparents Day not sure what date.
@epiffanie (10458)
@rheicel I haven't heard of Grandparents Day here in Australia except for when my grandson's day care invited grandparents to be with them for a couple of hours at the centre .. that was good ..
@aureliah (19438)
• Kenya
I did not know that there is such a day. If to breakaway was the best for you, all the best
@epiffanie (10458)
Yes .. it seems like there's a day for everything ..
@aureliah (19438)
• Kenya
@epiffanie yes there is
I have no idea about your past, Bess, but I'm happy that you set yourself free. Hugs to you.
@epiffanie (10458)
Thank you Dianne ..