Good and Bad of Car Sharing - Lyft/Uber

I personally have never used a car sharing app. I don't see a scenario where I would need it. The "good" is those who do drink and responsible will opt for this ride app and get home safely without endangering others on the road. Useful for those who need to get somewhere that has limited parking, do not drive, etc. What I don't like about these car sharing apps "the bad" is that the DRIVERS (most) do not obey traffic regulations. They will stop anywhere they please, block roads, drive in a rush, drive slow, essentially do whatever they please because they're "like a taxi". There is also a lot on the road working so more traffic and competition, too. What are your thoughts about car sharing like Lyft, Uber?
I never used one, if I need a car I call an official Taxi. In Italy there were serious problems, some "fake" Uber drivers raped women inside their cars.
Yes you are correct. There are cases of that here as well. It is very dangerous.
@tiada123 (342)
Oh no, so bad. I scare to take taxi alone.
@infatuatedbby At least the taxi cars are registered and you know who the drivers are.
I have never seen a Lyft or Uber driver drive a vehicle. If they are given any type of training, apparently the training is not good enough if the drivers do not follow the rules of the road.
They use their own vehicles. There is a lot here in California!
@tiada123 (342)
Some have registered both apps and try to take advantage of both companies.
We don't have Lyft here. As to Uber, it already sold its business to another company called Didi here. In the past I liked Didi because the price was better than normal taxi. Now I hardly use it unless I want to call a taxi. Since Didi can not only work like Uber but you can also reserve a taxi.
Ride sharing is everywhere! Wow! I know the bicycle service here is coming around but many do not like it because people just park the bike anywhere and it doesn't look nice around the city.
@tiada123 (342)
DD is so powerful., I heard, a local brand1.
@tiada123 I am surprised you know it
@nomus24g (23789)
I never tried that either...
Do they have ride sharing apps in India?
@nomus24g (23789)
@infatuatedbby yes, we have Uber and another Indian counterpart "Ola"
@nomus24g Is it costly there?
@alberello75 (18022)
• Genova, Italy
We have not had a good experience with car-sharing. The costs were definitely high! Not to mention that my brother had an accident, where we would have had to risk paying € 1500! We paid "only" 800 €
Oh no, your brother had an accident?
@alberello75 (18022)
• Genova, Italy
@infatuatedbby Fortunately nothing serious happened to him. But his, it was true unconsciousness! He made daring maneuvers with car-sharing car. Does this seem like a normal thing?
@alberello75 I am sorry to hear he was involved in an accident. The driver was being unsafe?
@zarlamain (24892)
I have never used either of these car sharing apps and to be honest, I'm scared to. With all these negative articles about these companies, I hesitate to use these. I'll stick to my usual public transportation backed by the city.
I have heard a lot of negative articles as well. I also hear negative feedback from an ex-co worker who drove for Lyft about the crazy people she encounters especially at night.
@zarlamain (24892)
@infatuatedbby There's a lot of rape charges against Uber drivers. And then there are murder charges as well. So not worth it. Wow, that is dangerous!
@zarlamain Yes it is really scary. I read about them often too.
I like using my own car too much - I have not used any of those services yet (and don't intend to). How scary to think that people already drive without following the rules of the road . . . it's scarier to think that these people are also the ones who are driving for these services - um, no thanks. That being said, I have a friend who is a Lyft driver . . . she's not the best of drivers, but this is what she does to make some money. If they hired a driver like her, then well, that's enough to make me not what to do the car sharing thing .
I prefer my own car or my own means of transportation too. I don't want to rely on a complete stranger even though they have a drivers license... I known of an ex-co worker who drove Lyft, she made good money but she told me how sometime she drives long hours and is tired from going to work already but needs the money to support her family. There's a lot of scary stories you hear and I don't think it's safe either. I won't be using it and do not intend to either but there is so many on the streets. Literally 1 out of 5 cars is a Lyft or Uber OR both here!
@infatuatedbby Having a driver's license isn't enough for sure . . . I don't know what the screening process is or what kind of training they get (do they even get training??). My husband was telling me how he heard on the news how some doctor was using some car service to go somewhere, but the driver left him/her stranded because the driver decided it wouldn't be worth the drive for what he would get paid . Yes, lots of horror stories out there - no thanks!! I have no idea what percentage use Lyft or Uber here - but it's L.A. so . . .
@much2say I looked it up the other day cause my neighbors bought brand new cars to do Lyft and Uber. And it's just self employment. So, you file a 1099 and write down car expenses, gas miles, if you hand out any business cards / water (it can be written down), cost to find "a job" so I guess miles you take to drive around before picking someone else, honestly not bad for someone who wants a brand new car to do. You work your own hours, turn on the app and go. ... but I don't think people factor in they have to notify their car insurance & get a better one. But I don't know I always have what if moments. I rather not drive. I want to be on the road as little as possible. My ex-co worker said you need to qualify and have a certain year of car I believe like 2005 or newer? (could change now), be at least 4 doors, have insurance proof & it's your car and you get to meet with someone and drive with them. That's about it! No training..... Theres so many Lyft and Uber drivers, it pisses me off. They stop anywhere, put their emergency lights and just stop. Super annoying but I am sure its more in LA then SD.
Never used either, have no reason to. But my brother uses Uber to get to work most days of each week. And has no complaints. Says it's cheaper than taxi, and gets him from point A to point B.
I don't think Uber/Lyft is a problem to use. I just think it's the way the drivers park for other cars. I saw one car just park right off the freeway (I guess the person ended their route there), but its just not safe.
@infatuatedbby maybe its just those there. As haven't seen anyone do things like that here. (though, doesn't mean they don't happen). but I personally cant say that its uber/lyft, when its just some drivers.
@Courtlynn It varies depending on state especially living in the city.
@jobelbojel (7350)
I don't use these apps. I use Grab and most of the time the drivers can't find where I live.
What is a grab?
@infatuatedbby It is a version of Uber here in my country.
@jobelbojel I see. Is it reasonably cost?
I've always used a yellow taxi cab, but everyone I know loves Uber.
I have never used a taxi before. :)
@infatuatedbby Wow! And I've never used Uber.
@DianneN Hehehe
@MsBooklover (3999)
I have never used one. I saw someone pick up a woman the other week, and I had a feeling that it was a car sharing. I would not be able to tell the different between a regular driver and one like Lyft or Uber. How can you tell?
There is a sticker in their rear window symbol of Uber or Lyft. I would prefer them to have like a sign on top like how pizza deliveries to distinguish on the road.
@infatuatedbby I agree. I would probably miss a small sticker. They should be required to put a sign on top of the hood of the car.
@MsBooklover Yes, I agree. They should be required to put a sign on the top of the car like how pizza deliveries do!
If they drive bad though they can get a bad rating and lose customers so it would be in their best interest to one all the laws.
I don't think the customers mind the way they drive because they're being the priority. I think its dangerous for cars around more so.
@infatuatedbby I am a pretty big stickler about laws and safety so I never want to ride with an Uber then
@shaggin I think the drivers are fine, just for other drivers near them it can be dangers.
If it is with safe, evaluated, tested, and reliable drivers apply for employment I am grateful they are there to help when people need transportation but I am glad my car still runs and I earn slightly enough to keep it filled once a month . . .
Drivers I know said they only test you once on the road & you're good to go.
@infatuatedbby are background checks mandatory and thorough ?
@enlightenedpsych2 I don't know about now, but then no.
@db20747 (8484)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
Its supposed to be cheaper!! I think u can bring this complaint to their attention if they R not driving safely!!!
It is cheaper. I don't drive Lyft/Uber or take the app. But I do see Lyft/Uber drivers not driving properly or following traffic.
@db20747 (8484)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
@infatuatedbby they should make it apart of the contract that they drive safely!!!
@db20747 And not pull over anywhere and stop as if they were a taxi. I agree.
I have never used one, and I am too wary of other people to try it. If I had a desperate need for a ride I think I would call an actual taxi.
I never needed to, hopefully I won't need to use one. Taxis aren't common here unless its like the airport or you request it.
@infatuatedbby I rarely see taxis around here.
@AmbiePam Same here. It is because there is a lot of app sharing rides now.
Users need to be smart and observant.. There have been some episodes on Investigation Discovery about people getting in a car they think is a Uber and not asking. Scary.
Yes you are correct. There are people imposing to be Uber or Lyft. Not safe.
@infatuatedbby ....Yes, they are.Have to be careful.
@celticeagle Yes indeed
@tiada123 (342)
I don't share so far because I scare. Haha!
I am scared to be driven by a complete stranger.
@tiada123 (342)
@infatuatedbby it's true. Same here, scare to entertain passengers.
some of the uber drivers in the Philippines are st*pid.
Many of them rush to find business.
@Tinissome (305)
I usually use it, all-over that work good,but Uber I don't think so.in my country missing right now
Oh I see. I think these drivers drive more rushing than other drivers.
@KrauseHome (35341)
Personally I Love Lyft over using a Taxi. Have never used Uber though, but might now since we drive for Uber Eats. The drivers I have gotten with them are friendly, and the savings over a Taxi is quite a bit
Yes the cost would be much cheaper than standard Taxi.