Is The Stock Market Just Legalized Gambling

Redlands, California
It does seem to be the quickest way to get out of the poor house. The problem is can ruin your life also if not up to par with the big players. I once saw a TV show NYPD Blue something like that. The detectives were asking people who are day traders for a living if they could think of why a certain person was murdered. One person was straight forward and said "yes." Most of us bust our butts and can barely get ahead because we are not big time like that guy was. They get so many advantages over the rest of us, insider trading info..... to where they are the ones who actually make the rules to keep them ahead. If we start to make to much money, they just change a rule. Could see why a lot of people would want that man dead is more or less what I remember of the show. I just find it funny how there is so many programs out there to try to get people's finances in order. Budgeting, paying down debt, getting better credit, buying a house. All kinds of things that is supposed to make people able to afford to live in this country, but yet they do not pay a living wage. Hello, budgeting is not rocket science. The reason people struggle so bad is not their failure to budget. At least, not most people. It is because they just do not make enough to live in this expensive ass world. The people who suck at budgeting are usually people with disposable incomes. Forcing people to think about money 24/7 7 days a week. Making everyone brainwashed in the practice of greed. You know who is greedy is my brother, but once he has a disposable income, not so greedy anymore. Tries to help people. The problem is that disposable income can be taken away anytime because we have a stock market economy where pretty much nothing is that sustainable anymore.
I am not a fan of Wall Stock and the stock market. It is so and built on nothing. It's history is riddled with fraud and corruption the greatest result being the depression.
• Redlands, California
Indeed, well said my friend.
@OneOfMany (12426)
It's actually built on the companies. Investor money helps fund the companies and their ability to perform. A stock is actually a percentage ownership of that company. For those who own greater than 50% of the stock shares of a particular company, they more or less own the company and determine its future. If they were to sell all their shares, it would pretty much be the end of it. If a company gets large with greater profits, its stock value goes up. That's why investors focus on quarterly reports of the company. It's very far from being built on nothing.
@OneOfMany Read about stock manipulations and fraud. The depression happened because of stock bubbles. It's ridiculous a news story can affect the market thus profits are brokers are made and so often company performance has nothing to do with stock prices. Wall Street has a long history of corruption.
I am not aware of this game.Do not know much about the game there. As long as it keeps going up.I am making money.We did have some down days.Things are picking up.
• Redlands, California
Most people think of that way and is very confusing when you get into the deep details and why so many have financial advisors and let them just handle it and works out well for many if they pick the right people and not the Bernie Madoff types. At the same time knew a few advisors that quit because they just got tired of being so corrupt to people in a status quo way that is perfectly legal.
@mandala100 (39203)
@crossbones27 There's an element of risk and speculation in stocks market just like in gambling it is by chance in a way my friend.
• Redlands, California
Very true my friend. A lot of similarities in that regard.
@mandala100 (39203)
@crossbones27 Yes indeed my friend.
We invested in the stocks and did really good. We are not using that money to hep us have enough in our retirement.
• Redlands, California
That is good, how it is supposed to be done.