Sailing down the Konkan coast in a tired, leaky old tub.

@xFiacre (4287)
Ireland
I came across this picture tonight of an old tub called the Konkan Shakti. She was a magnificently worn and troubled old girl when I sailed on her from Bombay down to Panjim in 1978. I travelled deck class. I spread my Gulmarg blanket on the crowded deck and lay there surrounded by seasick land lubbers as the creaking boat heaved southwards through heavy seas for twenty four hours. All afternoon I lay under a roasting hot sun, with children and their mothers fretting everywhere, the boat pitching and rolling. The night was magnificent with the sky all alive and mobile with stars. When I was the only one left awake a calm fell on the ocean. Soon there was only the sound of the boat cutting through the water, and the distant, muffled hum of the engine. I could smell the saltiness of the sea interrupted at times by waves of dusty, aromatic air carrying out invisibly from the shore a few miles away. I wouldn’t sell that memory for a million pounds. The boat’s current status is listed as “decommissioned or lost”!
These are the sort of tales I love from you - wonderful. It doesn't sound like a lot of fun though - at least not until everyone else fell asleep.
@xFiacre (4287)
@jabouk I do tend to revel in situations of adversity and squalor!
@xFiacre They make fascinating reading - you could make a book out of them. (I think I may have said that before )
@xFiacre (4287)
@jaboUK indeed you have, and I still don’t feel up to that challenge!
That is certainly a memory to hold on to.
@xFiacre (4287)
@judyev The boat’s current status is listed as “decommissioned or lost“!!
@xFiacre They've just found a currently unidentifiable wreck off the Australian coast. Maybe it's the Konkan Shakti.
@xFiacre (4287)
@JudyEv The one I sailed to Australia on in 1970 sank later somewhere in Indonesia.
@RodrickH (6102)
What a good memory
@mlgen1037 (16575)
• Manila, Philippines
I wouldnt too. Priceless.