What are the keys to a happy marriage?

@renicemae (3685)
I'll be celebrating my first anniversary with my husband this coming May. For the first year of our marriage, there had been a lot of ups and downs. We argue because we have different perspectives and we criticize each others attitude at times. Is that healthy in a relationship? I guess, criticizing each others attitude is still healthy because it's a way of correcting your partners' unpleasant behavior. But I sometimes wonder if I'm doing things right or am I supporting my husband enough. Do I make him happy or not? Why does he lack the will to do his project? Am I not enough as an inspiration? Or is he just lazy? Or am I stressing him out? Those are questions in my mind that is left unanswered.
@mlgen1037 (29623)
• Manila, Philippines
Trust and respect plus a dose of compromise.
@renicemae (3685)
Yeah I agree but pride is sometimes the issue.
@mlgen1037 (29623)
• Manila, Philippines
@renicemae yeah. That is why learn to compromise. If both of you have pride, then no compromise.
@renicemae (3685)
@mlgen1037 I feel like I'm always the one giving way to him and I'm not a Saint. I dont know how to explain things in a way that we both agree.
I think the key is being honest and trust to each other.
@renicemae (3685)
I can say that we are both honest but when it comes to trust, I can't say that I fully trust him.
@renicemae Oh. it seems there is a history in the past. I hope it is not.
@renicemae (3685)
@Shavkat There was unfortunately. But he has learned his lessons so I forgave him.
Marriage is all about working together as a team. There is no room in a marriage for criticizing each other. Complimenting each other works wonders for a marriage.
@renicemae (3685)
So i guess we're not doing good in our marriage. I also think that I'm having a hard time accepting my life now that I have in laws. I have to adjust knowing that I live in their house. NO matter how much my husband told me that it is our home now, I cant fully call it our home because technically it's not our home. I wanted to have a place I call my own.
@renicemae I understand. I would not be happy at all living in the home of my in-laws.
@renicemae (3685)
@Corbin5 I suggested to him that if he really wants to stick around with his parents house then I should take part on the expenses for the construction of the house in the second floor.
@Jessabuma (33167)
• Baguio, Philippines
I think the key to a happy marriage are trust, honesty and understanding...
@renicemae (3685)
Will financial matters don't matter?
@Jessabuma (33167)
• Baguio, Philippines
@renicemae hehehe!!!! It also matter ..
@renicemae (3685)
@Jessabuma I think money is the most common reason why couples quarrel nowadays.
i think theres no really perfect marriage, you mentioned its just 1year marriage so theres still long way to learn each other.
@renicemae (3685)
Yeah I know. We're still in the adjustment stage.