What are the keys to a happy marriage?

@renicemae (2989)
I'll be celebrating my first anniversary with my husband this coming May. For the first year of our marriage, there had been a lot of ups and downs. We argue because we have different perspectives and we criticize each others attitude at times. Is that healthy in a relationship? I guess, criticizing each others attitude is still healthy because it's a way of correcting your partners' unpleasant behavior. But I sometimes wonder if I'm doing things right or am I supporting my husband enough. Do I make him happy or not? Why does he lack the will to do his project? Am I not enough as an inspiration? Or is he just lazy? Or am I stressing him out? Those are questions in my mind that is left unanswered.
@mlgen1037 (16389)
• Manila, Philippines
Trust and respect plus a dose of compromise.
@renicemae (2989)
Yeah I agree but pride is sometimes the issue.
@mlgen1037 (16389)
• Manila, Philippines
@renicemae yeah. That is why learn to compromise. If both of you have pride, then no compromise.
@renicemae (2989)
@mlgen1037 I feel like I'm always the one giving way to him and I'm not a Saint. I dont know how to explain things in a way that we both agree.
I think the key is being honest and trust to each other.
@renicemae (2989)
I can say that we are both honest but when it comes to trust, I can't say that I fully trust him.
@renicemae Oh. it seems there is a history in the past. I hope it is not.
@renicemae (2989)
@Shavkat There was unfortunately. But he has learned his lessons so I forgave him.
Marriage is all about working together as a team. There is no room in a marriage for criticizing each other. Complimenting each other works wonders for a marriage.
@renicemae (2989)
So i guess we're not doing good in our marriage. I also think that I'm having a hard time accepting my life now that I have in laws. I have to adjust knowing that I live in their house. NO matter how much my husband told me that it is our home now, I cant fully call it our home because technically it's not our home. I wanted to have a place I call my own.
@renicemae I understand. I would not be happy at all living in the home of my in-laws.
@renicemae (2989)
@Corbin5 I suggested to him that if he really wants to stick around with his parents house then I should take part on the expenses for the construction of the house in the second floor.
@Jessabuma (13483)
• Baguio, Philippines
I think the key to a happy marriage are trust, honesty and understanding...
@renicemae (2989)
Will financial matters don't matter?
@Jessabuma (13483)
• Baguio, Philippines
@renicemae hehehe!!!! It also matter ..
@renicemae (2989)
@Jessabuma I think money is the most common reason why couples quarrel nowadays.
i think theres no really perfect marriage, you mentioned its just 1year marriage so theres still long way to learn each other.
@renicemae (2989)
Yeah I know. We're still in the adjustment stage.
I think we should accept our better half and its deficiency means the things which they are not good at and will try to do them properly and this can be done with good bonding, patience holds the key
@renicemae (2989)
I think we both dont have that patience. But I also think that by staying in his parents place is waiting...and waiting needs patience. So i guess i still have that patience.