What's the minimum amount you'd pay for an engagement ring?

By Bess
@epiffanie (10404)
Australia
. I had an appointment with the bride to be and her mom this morning to talk about the designs of the wedding dress and the bride's maids dresses and also the mother's .. She's got the most beautiful engagement ring.. I can't get my eyes off it. I so loved it that I asked if I can take a photo of it ..and she didn't mind .. Her fiance designed it and had it made to order using the gold and diamonds from his grandma's and mom's jewelries .. I thought what a lovely young man and the design is really beautiful.. I have seen so many engagement rings that are stunning, but this one is more captivating to me than the others .. Simple, romantic and has an antique look to it .. And it looks gorgeous on her finger.. The tradition here in Australia is that, most brides' dream engagement ring would have to cost at least the equivalent of their fiances' two months salary.. That would be at least $10,000 .. So, I realised that my engagement ring was less than my husband's one month salary ..lol.. I missed out on a larger diamond .. Anyway, what's the minimum amount you'd pay for an engagement ring? Bess ..
@mlgen1037 (29626)
• Manila, Philippines
My engagement ring did not even cost a thousand bucks. We just had a simple engagement ring, which was actually lost. But I was the happiest woman when I got engaged. Not really into jewelry as I get allergies when I wear them. And maybe because we were being practical too.
^ When love isn't replaced by materialism.
@mlgen1037 (29626)
• Manila, Philippines
@ConVolines Thank you, Em Jay.
@epiffanie (10404)
That's what's important Louise .. It is the engagement and not the engagement ring .. Though your profile photo is small, your big beautiful smile shows how happy you are..
@ivanituut (1922)
It doesn't matter to me, the thing that is really matters to me that your partner will appreciate the ring
@epiffanie (10404)
Yes I agree! .. because engagement is not about the ring.. but a promise and a commitment ..
@ivanituut (1922)
@epiffanie yes it truly does :)
@caopaopao (12501)
I have never had an engagement ring. So you're better than me.lol.
@epiffanie (10404)
I know a lot of couples who don't have engagement rings.. nor wedding rings but they are happily married ..
@caopaopao (12501)
@epiffanie Yeah, like my hubby and me.
@owlwings (39735)
• Cambridge, England
What a very sensible and parsimonious young man! She now has something which is beautiful, modern and completely personal while he saved a great deal, no doubt, on the cost of the gold and diamonds and only had to pay the jeweller for his expertise and skill (and some of the cost might even have been offset by the vaue of any surplus gold and diamonds). Why spend such an enormous amount on something which, to be sure, is beautiful and memorable but amounts to carrying around with you a considerable portion of a deposit on a house which can never be realised? But money is only money, after all. It's so long since I bought an engagement ring that I completely forget what I paid. It certainly wasn't anything like two month's salary (little though that was at the time)!
@epiffanie (10404)
I agree very sensible but I don't think he designed it himself to save.. He just wanted to make it more meaningful .. He is a very romantic young man that he even wrote a book for her and gave it to her as an engagement present .. I mean, what man does that? specially these days ..lol .. That's is probably why this ring is so special .. Most couples I know who spent that much on engagement rings already have own houses or owning .. so I guess they know they could afford .. .
@ConVolines (1471)
What coin does those plastic-egg-dispensing machines take these days?
@epiffanie (10404)
That's reminds me of the ring I got from one of those plastic eggs $2 ..lol .. was so pretty ..
@epiffanie True love is not measured in diamonds, but can be proven in poverty :)
@epiffanie (10404)
@ConVolines I don't know what you mean by true love can be proven in poverty ... But I can tell you that growing up in poverty didn't prove anything about love .. I hated it so much ..
@hereandthere (32753)
it's so beautiful and unique and definitely to be treasured because it includes the grandma's and mother's jewels. when did that tradition start? who set the price? it's quite impractical.
@epiffanie (10404)
I only heard this tradition here when I started making wedding dresses .. some even spent more than that .. I have seen one engagement ring that cost the groom 6 months of his salary .. I thought that was very extravagant .. But I guess if they can afford it, it's okay ..
@epiffanie but what if they broke off the engagement?
@epiffanie (10404)
@hereandthere ... the ring goes back to the man.... But I know one case where the man was caught cheating few weeks before the wedding, he didn’t get his expensive engagement ring back....
@FayeHazel (19710)
That is a beautiful style! I've heard that the standard here is 1 month salary = price the man should consider paying for engagement ring. Ah - there it is higher. I like it. I should come to Australia and find a husband then. lol. I'm just kidding. In reality - I would 1) hope that he got a good deal 2) hope that he knows my (unusual) style very well 3) picks one which reflects my style or lets me pick :-D
@epiffanie (10404)
US$ is higher in value than $Au .. Yes indeed it's important that the man know your style . I chose my engagement ring .. lol .. and my husband was lucky that I didn't like what he chose which would have cost him almost 3 months salary .. I am frugal and very practical you see .. whereas my husband loves expensive blings.. ..
@FayeHazel (19710)
@epiffanie Oh that is awesome that you got to choose your own ring. Bless you for being frugal. I like deals... though... I think my style is similar to your husband's. Bling! Yay!
@epiffanie (10404)
@FayeHazel Yeah .. when my husband and I first met, she thought I was too frugal ..lol .. But I was only making sure that we don't go into debt ..
Oh, no! I don't have any idea. If I am going to get married, then I will know how much is the budget for it. I'll see the other response.
@epiffanie (10404)
It doesn't matter what the cost..as long as it doesn't put you into debt.
@epiffanie I will agree with that statement. We just need to spend money, not beyond our budget.
@epiffanie (10404)
@Shavkat Exactly.. we need to manage our finances well..
That is a lovely looking ring and set so beautifully! My sons each bought their fiancée2 carat rings and designed them themselves as well as the wedding bands. Well, I certainly did not buy my own engagement ring. My husband did. I had a two carat ring, but he upgraded it for an anniversary to a 5 carat stone with two 3/4 carat stones on either side of the main stone and smaller stones on the band itself. There is no way I will tell you the cost of it, but it is lovely and is an expression of his everlasting love.
@epiffanie (10404)
OMG! @DianneN .. You don't need to tell the cost.. I have a client whose husband is a jeweller and they own a jewelry shop and I have seen prices of different carats stones.. and the jewelries she wears . I can imagine.. Yours sounds so lovely and breathtaking .. I have one exactly the same .. in my dreams..ahahaah!! ..
@epiffanie Thank you! You don't know how many times I've asked him to become a jeweler! lol
@epiffanie (10404)
@DianneN Wow imagine if your hubby was a jeweller .. you'll be wrapped in jewels.. ..
I was thinking more like 50 to 100 bucks, but I only make 10 thousand in like 5 years lol.
@epiffanie (10404)
I know a young couple who made their engagement bracelets out of beads.. that cost them less than 10 dollars.. So yeah, it's okay as long as you're both happy..
@epiffanie My Grandpa made my moms I think out of a silver dollar.
@epiffanie (10404)
@TRBRocks420 Wow! .. that is awesome! ..very nice of your grandpa to do that ..
@Jessabuma (33194)
• Baguio, Philippines
I haven't any engagement ring . Hehehe!!!
@epiffanie (10404)
Well, make sure that when the time comes, choose your own style .. it doesn't matter what it'll cost ..
@Jessabuma (33194)
• Baguio, Philippines
@epiffanie Yes.. I will ma'am ..
@epiffanie (10404)
@Jessabuma good!
1 million dollars if im going tie the knot. think its gonna be awhile
@epiffanie (10404)
good luck!
@aureliah (18373)
• Kenya
I have no idea how much I would pay but not that too little.
@epiffanie (10404)
Yeah .. if one can afford to buy something more of value, why not ..
speaking of engagement ring, i lost mine someone stole it from my room, i pity its either my male cousin or the girl playmate of my daughter before, no one admits it. its so shame i love that ring, its not so expensive but i love the 4 crystal stones on it, i missed it
@epiffanie (10404)
It is really not the price that's important but what it symbolises .. and oh what a shame indeed that you lost it..