The one with the ghost (You can't go home again 3, San Antonio)

Photo is mine
Eugene, Oregon
This was a house where things went bump in the daytime as well as the night. Footsteps could be heard of someone treading the attic floor. "George," we called him, moved in days after we did. He lived in the attic with a pull-down stairway of this one story rental; we occupied the ground floor. I was about 11 I think. "We" were my mother, two grown sisters and my eight year old nephew. Our noisy upstairs ghostly neighbor was really not threatening, but my nervous mother and sisters had the police out twice. I recall they pulled the stairway down, shined flashlights up into the darkness, but did not climb the ladder. We heard what sounded like a dropped spool roll across the floor one evening. Flour was put on the floor at some point to show evidence of footsteps; none appeared. If no one was home after school, I was reluctant to stay inside alone. George moved out one day in a sort of noisy fashion, moving around, packing. From then on there was no more noise. This was a house I had to revisit on our recent trip to San Antonio. It is still standing, occupied, smaller, of course, than I recalled. Anyone ever lived in a place like that?
I've read many stories about people who've encountered ghosts in one way or another but I've been fortunate not to have one scare the bageeeezass outta me.
• Eugene, Oregon
I understand that feeling.
Our childhood homes always seem to be smaller than we remember them, don't they?. It doesn't sound to have been a lot of fun living in yours.
• Eugene, Oregon
That was not a great place for maybe three years we lived there.
Isn't that amazing? I think something/someone like George would make me very nervous.
• Eugene, Oregon
He certainly had that effect on my mothers and sisters for a while, but then, it got to be sort of a joke since he seemed benign.
@JamesHxstatic Benign sounds very good to me! I'd be plying him with cakes to keep him happy.
Never have. Would find it intriguing though.
• Eugene, Oregon
That it was.
@JamesHxstatic ......Cool.
@DeborahDiane (22473)
• Laguna Woods, California
@JamesHxstatic - Wow! That is a very cool memory! I never had a ghost, but I had a friend who swore she had one when we were young and lived in Oakland. Her ghost was very benign and helpful. When her backdoor was sticking and couldn't be locked, one day it was "repaired." When she got a drip in the bathroom, one day a package of the right kind of washer magically appeared on the counter. She believed it was a ghost of a former owner who didn't want her to neglect "his" house. She also heard footsteps and noises in the attic, even when no one could be seen there. She loved her ghost! LOL
• Eugene, Oregon
That is another strange tale!
• Laguna Woods, California
@JamesHxstatic - I thought it was strange, too, but my friend was very sincere and definitely believed her home was haunted!
Not here.But that is a very nice place there.Tiny house?
• Eugene, Oregon
No, it was three bedrooms plus.
It sounds bloodcurdling! Was not it the George who made the noise?
• Eugene, Oregon
George was the only explanation that made sense, yet, he seemed a harmless being.
That would have freaked me out, so to speak, but George seemed quite harmless, albeit noisy.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, it was a very odd happening.
My husband and I lived in a house for a year that had several spooky things happen in it.
• Eugene, Oregon
It is always disconcerting, isn't it.
I have never lived in a haunted house but with my sensitivity to spirits, I would love to because then I could have a friend when no other friends would be around. Nice house.
• Eugene, Oregon
It looks nicer than it did when I lived there think.
@sallypup (27505)
• Moses Lake, Washington
My daughter says she did. Lovely house.
• Eugene, Oregon
The photo makes it look better than it is.