Too Close For Comfort

My brother-in-law went fishing this weekend. While they were out on the water he took the above photograph. If I was on land and saw an alligator in the water it wouldn't really frighten me. I am from Florida and we lived on a river. I stood on the riverbank many times and would see alligators swimming by or sunbathing, but in a small boat I'd be petrified to be so near one. At least on land I can run if the alligator shows any interest in me. The legs in the photo belong to a young boy. He looks so relaxed and not alarmed by the alligator at all. What about you ? Would you have any fear of Mr. Gator ?
It happened to my husband and I, we rented a small boat and we saw an alligator very close to our boat. We went immediately back.
I don't blame you.
@Tampa_girl7 The first time I saw the water moving, I told my husband "that must be a big fish", he immediately understood it was not a fish.
@Freelanzer (8961)
I won't if I am at a same distance. I would love to be able to see one in its natural habitat for once in my life.
I like watching them from a safe distance.
I won't even pause to snap a picture - I'd make a quick exit.
I think it's crazy to get that close.
@Icydoll (19899)
Im very much afraid my dear friend
Me too, I fear being their dinner.
I don't fear any picture of an alligator or crocodile ..... that's as close as I want to be to one.
Do you have them in Texas ?
I don't know @Tampa_girl7 I live in far west TX where it is all desert, there is a manmade "lake" in NM about 200 miles up north. Do you know where El Paso TX is? Or perhaps Las Cruces NM? Or maybe you know where Juarez Mexico is?
@rebelann I had a friend from El Paso.
Are they likely to attack a boat? In Australia this would be quite a dangerous position to be in.
I'm really not sure. I have a fear of this though.
@Tampa_girl7 I'd be walking across the water if an alligator got that close!
I do not want to be near anything with teeth like that.
I can understand.
No thank you, I'd be afraid of fishing and boating after seeing that! That is 1 reason why I have no desire to go visit Florida and some of the other southern states.
I'm surprised that they caught any fish, but they got 100. You'd think the alligators would eat them all.
• Eugene, Oregon
That is a pretty big one! They probably don't go after boats though, umm do they? That would be really scary.
I guess that I've seen too many movies. I'd be afraid of them tipping the boat
I would not be thrilled at all. I did see an alligator in the Dora Canal but I was in a large boat.
I lived right by the water with no gate at all. it was so so funny. My friend was in the army for so many years. he would come to see me and drive far around to find parking. The closest spot was in front of my building facing the water. I had no idea why an when it hit me. I laughed my heart out. I was standing and saw one in the water. I aslo saw a snake and at one time kay jumped in looking for a manatee she saw a day ago. Girl I nearly passed at that moment. The fear within me was not something I could describe. I screamed for so long and people got the police. The sad thing was not a second did it cross my mind to jump in that water. I cried for hours and hours. I always hear people say what they would do in this or that moment. Life instantly could have changed for me. I can't begin to tell you. There is no chance even in a boat I would get in that water. NONE!!
@YrNemo (12668)
Let say that I am thousands of miles away from your Florida and grateful for that fact. That photo almost gave me a heart attack. I am having trouble breathing just read this post and looked at that pic .
@LeaPea2417 (20463)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I would have been terrified!
@thelme55 (14575)
I would be scared but then I would take a photo first before I would leave.
@id_peace (6960)
I know crocodile eat people but do alligator eat human too? If it is a group of Chinese, they will try to trap the alligator and bbq later
um, yes! lol. one reason I wont go to florida.
I'd be scared until I'm out of the immediate vicinity of the gator!
@hereandthere (31110)
that alligator looks like it's on a surfboard
@Tampa_girl7 Marie, I would run as fast I can if I saw one.
If one was that close, I would be afraid..Look at the size of that gator!