Had to Fire Dr. Jay

Dr. Jay, our neighbor in Florida, let us down. He has our condo key and the key to our car. His job is to check our condo weekly to make sure the air conditioning is working and to disconnect the battery and cover our car. We usually disconnect the battery and cover it ourselves, but the parking lot will be paved, and he will have to move the car. Two neighbors called to let us know he has been using our car. It's much more luxurious than his, but we bought it for ourselves and don't want or need extra wear and tear, or mileage, on it. He has also been letting his niece sleep in our condo. Apparently, he has a friend visiting from Bogata, Columbia, too, and there is no extra bedroom for his niece. He was full of apologies and excuses when we called him. We don't feel comfortable, and that's what we told him. It would have been another story if he had called or texted to ask our permission. So, Dr. Jay has been fired. We are using our other neighbor, who has watched our condo before. At least he can be trusted. Have you ever lost trust in someone?
Well thank goodness your neighbors let you know what was going on! That was pretty dishonest of Dr. Jay - you would have thought he had more sense than to take advantage of the situation. Not cool at all. Seriously what would have happened if he got into an accident with your car . . . or if something happened to his niece (or she did something) in your condo! Dr. Jay made some pretty bad choices there and it may have caused him to lose a great friendship!
Exactly! We are still fuming. My brother invested in his company and told us he's a con artist, although my brother made money thanks to his own smarts. I'm throwing out all bedding in the guest bedroom and redoing it when we get down there.
@DianneN He completely crossed the line with this . . . your car and condo were not his to use like that nor share. I would be fuming big time too. I'm glad your brother made it out ok in the end . . . this guy probably has taken advantage of many other people .
@much2say There was lots of gossip about him, and he was very vindictive to a couple of female friends. My husband had to mediate some crazy behavior by him. I'm so naive that I didn't recognize the signs. Now I'm awake!
That is very disappointing to find out that Dr. Jay has been untrustworthy. At least you have someone else that you can count on
We now have a great reason to use that wonderful person, again. Glad he agreed to do it. He lives next door to us and was one of the people Would alerted us that our car was gone, our bedroom storm shutters were opened, and lights were on in our condo!
What a shame. Is that him in the photo?
It is a shame. That's him as a dentist and businessman now.
So much for integrity @DianneN hopefully more people will find out about his true nature.
@rebelann They already found out. We were too trusting.
@ridingbet (59428)
i actually read this your discussion this morning while i was still lying on bed. if i recall it right, this doctor, you made a few discussions about him, am i right? too bad, he abused your trust. for me, if a person lies to me, i will never ever trust him again, until eternity.
Good memory. We thought he was a true friend, but he lost that privilege for good! He's a con artist and a phony!
@ridingbet (59428)
@DianneN maybe he thought he won't be reported of his actions when you were not home. good you have some neighbors who were watching him.
@ridingbet We are lucky to have some wonderful neighbors, but not so for that sneak!
@DianneN Dianne, what chutzpa he had to do that. He never asked you first. I would fire him too.
Perfect word, Hanni! Chutzpah sums it up beautifully, and that's one word he'd understand.
@DianneN Dianne, is he Jewish? Thanks Dianne. I thought the word was appropriate to for what he did. That was uncalled for.
@Hannihar Yes, not that it's an excuse for his behavior. Your word was perfect!
@kobesbuddy (55169)
• East Tawas, Michigan
This is unthinkable, letting someone use your condo and driving your car! It's no wonder you won't trust him, any longer:(
It's as bad as being robbed! If he had only taken a minute to call and ask. We are so ripped over his abuse!!!
@kobesbuddy (55169)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@DianneN And allowing his niece to stay in your condo? That's so dishonest, deceitful, and manipulative! He has taken advantage of you, big time!
@kobesbuddy We are no longer friends. He's one sicko!
Sorry that happened to you. It is always upsetting when somebody you trust lets you down.
Thanks. Upsetting isn't the word. What a jerk he turned out to be!
@DianneN I was trying to be polite by saying upsetting lol a lot of other words were going through my mind.
That's really disappointing when you've entrusted someone with your properties and then they abuse. Those kind of people cannot really be trusted at all.
lol He's proved himself to be a big stinker!!!
@DianneN Indeed he is.
That is very sad because you thought so much of him. What a stupid man to take advantage of you like that. As if he isn't going to get found out. He can't be so smart after all.
Nope! He's a lying jerk and so glad our true friends let us know as soon as they noticed!
Yes, I have over smaller matters than this. I would be outraged, personally.
We were so unhappy and felt violated. He's toast now!
Quite a few times and it taught me to be more careful . . . hope this neighbor treats you and your property with respect !
It's a sad state of affairs when a friend can't be trusted and abuses a friendship. Our other neighbor is wonderful and very trustworthy.
@DianneN I am sort of dealing with the same thing only it is not house sitting that this friend won't give into-- it is paying the rest of her bill for a wellness plan I did for her back in January . . . she assumes since we are friends, she does NOT have to pay for it and right now kind of counting on her cash to get me through the rest of the month
@enlightenedpsych2 Money gets between friends. Hope you squeeze it out of her.
@FayeHazel (19907)
Oh I'm so sorry. I know you guys enjoyed his company. What a disappointment. It is really a blessing that your other neighbors put you on to what was happening. There really is no excuse about using your car. And you're so right - car use is much more than putting gas in it, it's oil changes, wear and tear on tires and parts, etc. And I wonder why he didn't just ask you about using the condo?
We are very upset for his lack of respect. If he needed anything from us, he should have called and asked first. He emailed my husband today hating us, apologizing, and hoping we'd still be friends. He is psycho! We are so relieved that he won't be holding our car or condo keys again.
@FayeHazel (19907)
@DianneN Wow. And from an educated person, too. Not that anyone should carry on in such a fashion, but one would think someone with a career like a dentist would particularly know better. Did you get your keys back? I most certainly hope he did not make copies. So in one minute he's hating you and the next wants to be friends? Yeah... he's messed up....
@FayeHazel He is a sicko. My husband received two more emails, answered the former, and refuses to have anymore contact with him. He is a friggin sociopath! The keys were taken moments after our phone call to him. We planned it that way. We are done with him! Half the place knows he's nuts, but we were too blind or stupid. Not anymore.
What he did is very rude. I know you liked him, but looking at his photo I had a bad feeling about him. I fume when I realize that I trusted people who did not deserve this.
My husband received a hate email from him today, then an apology, and a wish to remain friends. What a nut job he turned out to be. Hopefully, we can all be cordial when we return to Florida, but we will never trust him again, ever!
@DianneN I cannot understand how he dared to send a hate email to your husband, especially after what he did. I hope you can all be cordial, but, I imagine, no more close as you were in the past. When you realize you cannot trust someone and the person cheated, it's never like before.
@LadyDuck My husband replied, and the idiot sent another nutso email. My husband deleted it and will sever our relationship. He is truly a sociopath. Just a hello and goodbye, if that. Friends like him we don't need.
@MarymargII (10565)
• Toronto, Ontario
Wow! It just goes to show you- you don't know people the way you think sometimes. Not a great feeling--you did the right thing!
We should have known from last year. He used our bicycle pump and borrowed beach towels, one of which was stained. I threw it out.
@MarymargII (10565)
• Toronto, Ontario
@DianneN OMG yes, and it would have gotten worse- You would have gone down one year and he would be cooking in your kitchen---help!
@MarymargII LOL! Help is right!
@gnatsmom (1235)
I don't blame you. I would have fired him too.
Thank you! We're still seething.
@gnatsmom (1235)
@DianneN I am angry with you. That kind of behavior is appalling.
@gnatsmom We should start an angry club, but many people in the condo have beat us to it. They saw what we were blinded to.
@wolfgirl569 (10145)
• Marion, Ohio
WAYYYYY To many people over the years.
That's awful! Misery loves company.
@wolfgirl569 Oh, right!
@wolfgirl569 (10145)
• Marion, Ohio
@DianneN Its hard to keep everyone straight at times
WOW! I am speechless to hear your neighbor took advantage of you like that. I am so glad your neighbors contacted you to let you know. Wonder if he's an actual Doctor after all!?
He is no longer our friend. He sent emails apologizing, hating us, and wanting to remain friends! We ignored his last psycho email. He can rot. He was a dentist, but became a businessman.
@DianneN Yes, I would ignore him. He is a crazy for doing that and thinking no ones going to tell about his wrong-doing. Did he purchase the condo next to you or renting, hopefully he's gone when you go back to Flordia!
@infatuatedbby Exactly! He bought the unit perpendicular to us. We are a corner unit. Half the place knows he's a nutjob. It took us until now to find out. We have plenty of friends and don't need him!
That was too much breaking of your trust. He could have texted any of you and your husband to ask permission to use your car and let his niece sleep in your condo. I would also do the same.
I agree, but he didn't bother to ask us. He didn't know what hit him after we called. The keys were collected immediately.
@DianneN He deserved to be fired.
@SIMPLYD I can't stand him anymore!
@Deepizzaguy (14983)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
I get leery when someone who works in an entertainment industry tells me they like my fan fictions but they want complete control of my original character just to make them the opposite of what they are. From humble to arrogant.
You should be alert! They can run off with your ideas, too, and not give you credit.
@Deepizzaguy (14983)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@DianneN That is true since I am staying with my fan fictions even though the show "Wordgirl Advance" is still under production at this time.
@Deepizzaguy Congratulations!!!!
@zarlamain (24885)
I am so sorry to hear this. You did the right thing by firing him. Instead of being responsible, he went and took advantage of your properties. This is awful. It's not just the fact that he did these things, but also that he didn't ask for permission at all. I hope the other neighbor is more responsible. I am so sorry you had to go through that.
Yes, he turned out to take advantage of us and proved to be a psycho in his emails to us. Our other neighbor is a true gem!
@zarlamain (24885)
@DianneN That is awful! You were so kind to him and he just went and ruined your friendship. How appalling. I hope you don't ever interact with him again. I'm glad at least the other neighbor will be responsible!
@zarlamain Thank you! It doesn't bode well to be friends with a nutjob.