Daily Bible Study

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Day 6 Matthew 5:1-18 Matthew 5:1 And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him: 2 And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying, 3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. 5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. 6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. 7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. 8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God. 9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. 10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. 12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you. 13 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savor, wherewith shall it be salted? It is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. 14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid. 15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it gives light unto all that are in the house. 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. 17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. How is your attitude? How do you treat others? How do others treat you? Some of the hardest things you can do, is walk away from a potential fight. When someone says something mean and slanderous to you, you want to lash out. However, walking away might be the best option. This is the beginning of what is known as The Sermon on the Mount. It took place on a mountain in the desert in Galilee. He told the people he didn’t come to destroy the law but to fulfill it. For those who stand on grace, note what Jesus said. He said not one jot or tittle of the law would pass till all be fulfilled, and that wouldn’t happen until heaven and earth passed. Yes, Jesus fulfilled a lot of the law, but not the whole law, only the law of the sacrifice. Heaven and earth has not passed into eternity. We do not live on a new earth. When the children of Israel left Egypt for the Promised Land, Moses went up a mountain, Mount Sinai, to receive the law from God. Then God came down to meet Moses. Here, Jesus went up the mountain. Where God instructed Moses that the people were to stay a distance from the mountain, Jesus encouraged the people to come near. Jesus brought God to the people, showing he was not a God who was far away, but as close as a whispered prayer. What did Jesus say about your attitudes with each other, because these, as I’ve heard them called are the be-attitudes. When you follow these simple guidelines, your lives will be richer and fuller. 1. Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Jesus was not giving the people random thoughts, but he taught them what the prophets had taught them. Psalm 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise. (KJV) Proverbs 16:19 Better it is to be of a humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud. (KJV) Proverbs 29:23 A man’s pride shall bring him low: but honor shall uphold the humble in spirit. Isaiah 57:15 For thus says the high and lofty One that inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones. Isaiah 66:2 For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, says the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembles at my word. When you humble yourself before God, he will lift you up. James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up. (KJV) 2. Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. Jesus promised to comfort all those who mourn over their friends and loved ones. Mourning can be a state of death, or it can be the state of your soul, whether your loved ones accepted Jesus as Savior and Lord, or not. Many of you are praying and mourning over your loved ones, hoping that before death takes them, they will accept Jesus and be saved from eternal separation in hell. There is no greater loss. Paul told the jailer he would be saved and his house, if he believed on Jesus Christ. Acts 16:25 And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them. 26 And suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken: and immediately all the doors were opened, and everyone’s bands were loosed. 27 And the keeper of the prison awaking out of his sleep, and seeing the prison doors open, he drew out his sword, and would have killed himself, supposing that the prisoners had been fled. 28 But Paul cried with a loud voice, saying, Do thyself no harm: for we are all here. 29 Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas, 30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? 31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. (KJV) Don’t miss those critical last three words. When you believe on Jesus as your Savior and start praying for the salvation of your loved ones, Jesus promises, they will also be saved. 3. Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. You don’t always need to fight for your plot of ground. Jesus told the people that a meek countenance would go a long way to good relations with other people. Psalm 37:11 But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace. (KJV) When you live at peace with your neighbor, your coworkers, with those you meet by chance, you will find a peace in your soul that transcends and lifts you up. 4. Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. As a newborn Christian, you have an insatiable hunger and thirst for God’s Word. The more time you spend studying the Word, the more you grow, and the more you grow, the more you want to learn. 1 Peter 2:1 Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speech, 2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby: 3 If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious. God’s grace is on all those who study to show themselves approved unto God, rightly dividing the Word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15 Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 5. Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. When you show mercy, you gain mercy. It’s that simple. Ps 41:1 < Blessed is he that considers the poor: the LORD will deliver him in time of trouble. When you treat all people with respect and don’t look down on them as inferior, you will not only gain respect from that person, but God will show you favor and blessing. 6. Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God. It isn’t easy to have a pure heart before God, but when you purpose in your heart to do so, God will bless you and you will see God’s hand of blessing on your lives. Psalm 15:1 LORD, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? Who shall dwell in thy holy hill? 2 He that walks uprightly, and works righteousness, and speaks the truth in his heart. 3 He that backbites not with his tongue, nor does evil to his neighbor, nor takes up a reproach against his neighbor. 4 In whose eyes a vile person is contemned; but he honors them that fear the LORD. He that swears to his own hurt, and changes not. 5 He that puts not out his money to usury, nor takes reward against the innocent. He that does these things shall never be moved. Is it easy? No, but it is rewarding. 7. Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. Someone will always want to start a fight, either with words or fists. When you reason with a person, or walk away from the fight, God will bless you, and you might earn yourself a new friend. Isaiah 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, says the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool. Proverbs 18:24 A man that hath friends must show himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother. 8. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you. Persecution isn’t an easy pill to swallow. You want to run from persecution. Yet, when you stand your ground, no matter what the consequences, and for the early Christians, it meant being burned alive in the Roman arenas, torn apart by lions, mauled to death, and for Christians today in many countries of the world, they are persecuted, tortured, and killed for the Word of God. God will reward you, and that reward is life with him in heaven. You should not fear anything the enemy, Satan, will do to you. When you live your life as Jesus described, you will be a light to those around you, a beacon people will see, even before you meet them, because word about you will spread. It isn’t an easy life, but it is a blessed life. Let’s pray: Father, help me be attentive to your Word. Give me an attitude of submission to you, as I go about my daily life. Let me live in such a way, that people will see you in me, and will be drawn to you. In Jesus’ name, I pray, amen. Copyright © 24 April 2018 by Valerie Routhieaux Image courtesy of Pixabay
@mandala100 (43573)
@jsu4him Thank you for this post my friend.
You're welcome. Have a blessed day.
@mandala100 (43573)
@just4him Thanks my friend.
Being humble: It is best to take the lower seat in the house and be asked to move up - than to take the higher seat and be told to move down.
So true. Good reference. Have a blessed day.
Amen my friend. I love blessed are the pure in heart for they will see God.
It gives a person something to think about and look forward to. Have a blessed day.
@MsBooklover (3907)
I really do want to live for him. I pray for guidance.
And he will give it to you. Have a blessed day.
@just4him I know He will. I just have to be patient.
@aureliah (16194)
Be blessed and thanks for sharing
Thank you. You're welcome. Have a blessed day as well.
@Daelii (5635)
Amen! Thank you yet again. There have been a lot of questions ive had lately. Trying prayer for the answer. At times I miss the Catholic father to speak with! You however touched on some things that is providing more thought and things to reflect on!
I'm glad I'm being helpful. Have a blessed day.