Short Song Title Top Ten: Gone (#4)

@FourWalls (12879)
After you weed through lots and lots of words for a long song title, you want something that's short and to the point. So, along with the "long song title" top ten I'm counting down favorite songs that have four letters or less. I suppose this is another no-brainer to go along with the Elton John song. Here's today's song. #4: Gone - Ferlin Husky One of the first examples of the "Nashville Sound" (there's debate among scholars as to whether this or Jim Reeves' "Four Walls" was the "first" hit with the Nashville Sound, but you leave that to us to argue about...you just enjoy the song!), Ferlin Husky's 1957 megahit started out as a major flop. Backstory time! Ferlin Husky was, indeed, Ferlin's real name. I know, it sounds made-up. So, when he started recording the record label told him to come up with a stage name that didn't sound like a stage name. He chose "Terry Preston," and recorded this song in 1952. That version had a more midtempo beat...and it sold like sterno cans at the gates of eternal punishment. Ferlin went back to his real name shortly after that and scored a #1 with with "A Dear John Letter," a duet with Jean Shepard. In 1957 he re-visited this song, recording it with a much slower tempo, minus the fiddles and steel guitar and plus the Jordanaires on backing vocals. The rest is history. Beautiful, glorious, country music history. Gone Written by Smokey Rogers Recorded by Ferlin Husky Released as a single, 1957 Oh, what I'd give:
Skip navigation Sign inSearch Loading... Close Yeah, keep it Undo Close Watch QueueQueueWatch QueueQueue The next video is startingstop Loading... Watch Queue Queue __count__/__total__ Loading... It’s YouTube. Uninterrupted. Loading... Want music and vide
You got confused, right? You meant Montgomery Gentry.
@FourWalls (12879)
Earl Montgomery and Bobbie Gentry?
@FourWalls They changed their names to Eddie and Troy.
@FourWalls (12879)
@JohnRoberts — you’re just mad because I didn’t use the John Hiatt song named “Gone.”