New Job - Security Guard

By mor
Kiryat Ata, Israel
I have returned to work as a security guard in the power station in haifa city. I get to the power station, I sign on a gun with a number, I check vehicles and drivers, check their identity and check if they are allowed to get in. The cars that go out, I check their trunk to see if they carry something that might be belong to the power station, like, cables, transformators and etc... The job pays well, and I hope to stay in it for a lot of time. Some guards are even more qualified and are trained for more dangerouse tasks like patrol, force usage, they carry an automatic weapon. Sometimes I check incoming visitors for an event like the Backstreetboys show, it was 3 days ago, I kept the backstage passage and allowed only the technicians to get there (and some others like event managers and etc...). Wish me luck, I will be happy to get some advices or some of your own experience in working as a security guard.
@thelme55 (14705)
You are doing a great job to keep your surroundings safe. Well done.
@stringer321 I am going to say something. Here in Israel working as a security guard is different than working other places. You really have to check the cars out thoroughly and the people too.
Good fortune on your new job.
@cintol (6843)
I have never worked as a security guard but it would be a good job to have knowing that you are protecting something important to the well being of people. Good luck, I am sure you will do great
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
Thank you, I remember that when I watch the view from the guard station (an observation point I have to climb stares to get there, I have binoculars, projector and walkie talkie).
@cintol (6843)
@stringer321 Think of all the exercise you will get climbing those stairs, it will be great. You have a very tough job there.
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
@cintol 17 stairs only. Not so much, but, thanks anyway.
@Mavic123456 (9865)
• Thailand
i always like to work as a security guard. i dont know why. good luck and be safe
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
I sometimes imagine some potential events to be more ready for them. I imagine a hostile bomber tries to enter the power station using a fake identity, I imagine the managers try to test my alertness, they can come during the night and see if I report about them, they can put a ledder on the fence and check the alertness of other guards. I watch all around me every minute, to see if someone is coming. If everything is quiet, I quickly read or write something on my notebook or notes, to remember my learning material.
• Thailand
@stringer321 all you said are possiblities. they can test you, sneak in, break in and so on.. I hope you will not be caught sleeping. anyway if they will test you, it could be this time i mean while you are just starting. will you have a probationary period?
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
@Mavic123456 Well, it's 2 months now, I didn't make any mistakes so far, they didn't test me yet though. They can test everyone, new guards and old guards. We don't have probationary periods. Let's hope it all stays possibility, and not happens for real.
I hope it's not a too dangerous job. I wish you luck.
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
It depends on the people around, so far, only thieves stole some cable and that's all, it happened more than 13 years ago, when I worked as a guard temporarily. I have to be awake, aware of my surroundings, think about possible ways the thieves can come from... Most of the time, I need to be ready for the patrol that comes and checks me. :-)
@stringer321 I imagine you must be alert all the time. At least there are only thieves in the area and not terrorists.
Congratulations. It sounds like a good job.
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
Thank you, in our reality, there are criminals, thieves, we need to keep an eye and watch for them. I wish it wasn't like that and the guard job would be different, maybe, do other stuff, but, that's how it is, security is still needed here and there. Same with the police, army, and etc... Let's hope it won't be needed anymore in the future.
@stringer321 That would be nice.
I am wishing you the best of luck with this job. Hope someone here has been a security guard and can give you some advice.
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
I have found some useful tips to do that are good for more jobs: I carry a notebook, a pencil, and a pen, to write down some things I want to remember, things that happened, things to do later. I carry a whistle with me in case I need to shout or something. I keep being friendly, I talk about nice things...
Congratulations on your new job.
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
Thank you, I like improving in this job, I start memorising the workers, I write myself notes to remember to do better, I talk with other guards about the work. It's good to work there.
I have never but I am sure you will do great!
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
I am doing great, I already work ther for 2 and half months, I do a good job. My boss gives me work, I get friendly with the other guards, the managers of the power station security, the workers. Thanks.
@nomus24g (23658)
Congrats for your new job...