Movie comparisons "Don't Breathe" Vs. "A Quiet Place"

@FayeHazel (16335)
Here's 2 similar movies so I thought I would review them in the same post. I give you 2016's "Don't Breathe" and this year's "A Quiet Place". Both are horror/suspense/thriller. Both use sound in a unique way. I saw both at the theater - and both times everyone in the theater was a lot more quiet than at the typical movie. But I'm getting ahead of myself. "Don't Breathe". So the premise is rather simple. A bunch of down and outs plan to rob a wealthy old blind man. They heard through the grapevine that the blind man keeps a good deal of money in his house. And he's blind. So this should be easy. Right? **Start of spoilers** It turns out that the blind man is a veteran and is incredibly lethal. His home is booby trapped and is a creaky old house. The reason that the house is booby trapped, is not only because the blind man keeps a deal of cash on hand, but it's also there because he has a secret. He has kidnapped a woman who he is keeping in the basement. The woman, who gets shot in the escape attempt of the would-be thieves, we discover she was pregnant. The blind man's daughter had gotten killed by the woman in the basement in a traffic accident. We learn that she was pregnant with the blind man's child. The blind man relates this to the female thief who he has caught and who is now restrained in the basement. - Don't worry .... he says... I didn't force myself on her. He brandishes a turkey baster in the movie's most frightening scene. **End Spoilers** There are a good deal of jump scares and the movie has us wondering who, if anyone, will get out of the blind man's house. "A Quiet Place" - a family creeps quietly into town along a specially constructed sand path. They are looting food , canned goods, medicines out of a grocery store. All of the aisles of potato chips are still fully stocked. For you see, potato chips are a very noisy snack. A toddler boy finds a rocket toy. He looks mournful. His parents tell him in sign language and whispers. "No, you can't have it. It's too loud". The boy takes the toy with, under his coat, anyway. As the family makes their way back home, we see why quiet is being promoted so heavily. The boy drops the rocket toy which makes a sound. Huge alien hunters target sound. They kill people at the speed of light. They're blind but their sense of hearing is many times greater than a human's. **Spoiler Start** The family lives a seemingly normal life on a farm. The only difference is there aren't other people around, and you can't make a sound. The movie also begins each "day" in the movie with a denotation like "Day number 400 and something" I don't remember the number. So it's like day 467 etc. We are lead to think this is day 467 for example - since the aliens came to Earth. The camera zooms out finally, and we notice that the mom in the family is heavily pregnant. Alright. That bothered me. If it is day #400 and something.... that means she got pregnant after the aliens came to earth. If you were in such a situation - with noise hunting aliens - wouldn't you do everything in your power, including abstaining - to avoid being pregnant in such situation? Because even if she somehow delivers the child noiselessly which, I don't even know if that is possible - a baby is not going to understand to be quiet and never cry or yell or fuss... you cannot reason with a baby. Also the addition of the deaf daughter's deafness actually being a strength was an amazing choice. **End Spoilers** It's a thrill a minute with scares, tragedies and some triumphs as the movie leaves you with the feeling that there is a way now to defeat the alien predator. "Don't Breathe" trailer: "A Quiet Place" trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR7cc5t7tv8
Watch. #DontBreathe. See it in theaters August 26. A trio of reckless thieves breaks into the house of a wealthy blind man, thinking they’ll get away with th...
Sounds like some pretty scary movies.
@FayeHazel (16335)
They were both pretty intense
@Icydoll (13139)
Seem like good suspense thriller
@FayeHazel (16335)
They were both really good :-)
@rheicel (7301)
Oh, I love the movie Don't Breathe. I haven't watched the Quite Place but they say it's a good movie.
@FayeHazel (16335)
"Don't Breathe" surprised me with how lethal that blind man was! Wow. I think you will also enjoy "Quiet Place" too
@rheicel (7301)
@FayeHazel Yes, it's also surprising that the blind man is still alive and they're going to have another sequel because it became hit. Quiet Place is doing good in cinemas.
@FayeHazel (16335)
@rheicel Oh wow, I didn't know there will be a sequel to "Don't Breathe" that will be one I will want to see
@kepweng (10807)
i think dont breathe can be a Reality whiole A Quiet Place" is just a Fiction?
@FayeHazel (16335)
Ah yes, good way to put it - "Don't Breathe" is something that actually could happen in real life. "Quiet Place" deals with aliens... is more like sci-fi
@kepweng (10807)
@FayeHazel but can a Blind Human can Really See in the Dark??
@FayeHazel (16335)
@kepweng Can a blind person see in the dark? I'm not sure, but I wouldn't imagine so lol.
I am waiting to see Quiet Place.Have not heard on the other one
@FayeHazel (16335)
I will be curious to see what you think of "Quiet Place"
@FayeHazel same here.It will be awhile coming from Netflix
@FayeHazel (16335)
@amadeo I hope they put it on Netflix soon
I have seen Don't Breathe but not A Quiet Place.
@FayeHazel (16335)
What did you think of "Don't Breathe"?
@FayeHazel It was okay. Non-memorable.
@FayeHazel (16335)
@JohnRoberts eh. Cool use of sound
I haven't seen either, but wanted to see 'Don't Breathe'.
@FayeHazel (16335)
I hope you get a chance to watch it - I thought it was really good
@FayeHazel eventually i will lol
I haven't seen any from it but both look very good. Thanks for the recommendations I'll check out soon
@FayeHazel (16335)
Cool! I hope you'll enjoy them
@Micmac (7649)
They both sound like chilling movies. I like horror movies, so I'll probably have to check these two out.
@FayeHazel (16335)
They're both pretty intense. :-) I hope you get to check them out
A Quiet Place received good reviews. 4*
@FayeHazel (16335)
The use of sound was really interesting concept, and I thought the child actors were really good in it
Too scary for me. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
@FayeHazel (16335)
Ah yes, pretty intense- both.
@zebra2222 (5115)
Both sound like excellent scary movies.
@FayeHazel (16335)
I really enjoyed both of them, and the use of sound was unique in each of them
They both sound full of suspense.
@FayeHazel (16335)
Both pretty good thrillers :-)
I would enjoy watching both of these!! I think I would start with "A Quiet Place" first.
@FayeHazel (16335)
There were both pretty unique and I enjoyed them both. I would be curious your thoughts when you see these