Asparagus --- Edible Ivory

asparagus
Germany
When Germans think ‘asparagus’, they think very large fields with rows of elevated beds watched attentively during the season from the end of April until 24th June, the day of St. John after which asparagus is not eaten any more. Just after sunrise the pickers go out onto the fields and where they see a slight crack in the soil, they put their special knife in and cut the stalk carefully. In order to get completely white - or to be precise: off-white, ivory coloured - asparagus, the cutting must be done before the tip of the plant gets into contact with sunlight which would make it green or slightly violet. Diligent pickers can pick three to five kilos per hour. That means approximately 100 stalks. During the season asparagus grows so quickly that there’s a second harvest in the afternoons! It can’t come as a surprise to learn that given its phallic shape, asparagus is frequently enjoyed as an aphrodisiac food. A Vegetarian Society suggests, ‘Feed your lover boiled or steamed spears for a sensuous experience’ and, ‘Eating asparagus for three days for the most powerful affect‘. [I haven’t tried it. If you do, leave a comment, please. I can include your experience in an update:-)]. What is so special about asparagus? 95% of the plant is water, but the rest contains valuable minerals and vitamins, according to dietologists it is an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin A and vitamin K, folacin, a good source of dietry fibre and also supplies the B group vitamins thiamine and riboflavine, as well as potassium and iron. It cleans the blood, activates the kidneys and drains water out of the body. Unfortunately it has also an unpleasant side-effect, at least for one day: the urine stinks repulsively! Why that is so nobody can say for sure. Strangely, only 50% of the asparagus eaters are affected which makes the whole thing quite mysterious. How do we prepare asparagus? It must be fresh, that’s vital. It should best be eaten on the day of picking. The heads must still be closed, the stems must make a squeaking sound when you rub them against each other. Wash the stalks, cut off the end and peel them with a knife or a potato peeler. If you have to keep the asparagus for a day or two, wrap the stalks into a damp cloth such as a kitchen towel and put them in the fridge. Fill the pot with so much water that the stalks are covered, add some butter (!) and sugar (!) and bring to boil. Add some salt before you put the stalks in, boil them for five minutes, then simmer for about 15 minutes. The classical asparagus dish in Germany is: asparagus, boiled new potatoes, ham and Sauce Hollandaise. I buy it ready made, it tastes good and wouldn’t taste better if I prepared it myself. Don’t throw the water away in which you’ve boiled the asparagus, put the peelings in and let them simmer for 20 minutes. You can then press them through a sieve to get some pulp out (and then throw them away). The liquid you’ve got now is a kind of stock. I’ve put it in the freezer and will use it in winter to make delicious asparagus soup. White vegetables go well with white wine. --- Photo: pixabay
@xFiacre (4415)
@maluse So it makes one run to the toilet a lot- is that really an advantage? However with so many health benefits it must be worth it.
You've misunderstood something. It does not make you run to the toilet. Not at all. But when you go to the toilet you *may* notice that your urine stinks. This is a peculiarity only some people have. I don't know what it depends on.
@xFiacre (4415)
@MALUSE I don’t think I’m one of those afflicted thusly.
@xFiacre Well, then. Lucky you. Off you go and buy some asparagus for next Sunday!
@mlgen1037 (29644)
• Manila, Philippines
I have never seen a white asparagus. Mostly here are color green. But thank you for this discussion, @MALUSE. I would add that to my recipe list and ask my mom to prepare one.
Drop me a line when you've eaten it. Green asparagus can also be bought in Germany. It often comes from Italy. There the white variety is unknown, too.
@mlgen1037 (29644)
• Manila, Philippines
@MALUSE I will do that. Interesting there is so much to learn.
• Dallas, Texas
This is an excellent article. I will save this one to share with my wife. She and I do enjoy asparagus as well as cream of asparagus soup. Good share.
Thank you for your friendly words. I wish you 'Good Appetite' as the Germans say before a meal.
• Dallas, Texas
@MALUSE , Thank you.
@porwest (4839)
Hmm. @lookatdesktop Cream and asparagus soup. Never thought of making a soup out of it, but why not? Sounds good.
@AlisaTR (1381)
Can you tell me why it isn't eaten after June? It may be a fairly obvious answer, but I honestly don't know.
Good question! I found an explanation in a guide for people who plant asparagus in their garden: "Harvest at 8 inches tall, snapping them off at the soil line. ***Stop when the diameter of the spear decreases to the size of a pencil. Then it is time to stop and let them grow, gaining strength for next spring.*** We harvest every other day during the season. ***Once the asparagus starts to open and have foliage, it’s too tough for eating.*** So the answer is that later in the year the spears become too thin and too tough.
@AlisaTR (1381)
@MALUSE ohhh... I understand.
I never had the white or saw them at the market?
Green asparagus can also be bought in Germany. It often comes from Italy. There the white variety is unknown, too.
I love asparagus, but have only seen the green version
I like asparagus, but I prefer the green variety to the white big ones. Tagliatelle with shrimps and green asparagus (with a sort of hollandaise sauce) are delicious.
I've eaten green asparagus in Sardinia. It was the wild variety growing in the macchia.
@MALUSE The small wild asparagus are very good with risotto or to make an omelette.
@LadyDuck I think we had it in an omelette.
We can buy tinned asparagus (but we don't) but it's mostly green. I'm sure it's inferior to what you're describing here.
We would never eat tinned asparagus.
@MALUSE I had to do a search for 'fresh asparagus perth' and it seems you can buy it fresh in WA. I can't remember seeing it in the shops but that means nothing.
@JudyEv You should try it once, maybe there are restaurants which offer it.
@valmnz (12759)
• New Zealand
I've not seen white asparagus before. We have green asparagus here.
I've seen green asparagus but never eaten it. So I don't know if there is a difference in taste.
@valmnz (12759)
• New Zealand
@MALUSE I like them, some people don't. I lime mine served with a cheese sauce.
@garymarsh6 (14039)
Oh yes it is that time of year again, Asparagus season. Most decent restaurants would be serving this right now. I am unfortunately one of those people who NEVER eat Asparagus because of the smell from Urine after you have eaten it. It is the foulest thing you can imagine. So you may have my share!
Thanks. You're very generous. But I never eat much asparagus whenever I eat it at all. I've made it clear that I also suffer from that affliction as does my husband.
@garymarsh6 (14039)
@MALUSE I never buy it so I don't have that problem thankfully.
@id_peace (6929)
it looked very nice
And it tastes good !
@id_peace (6929)
Yes busy with chilli
@porwest (4839)
I've seen it in the stores but have never eaten white asparagus. Only the green variety. But one of these days I may buy it instead of the green. But yes. It definitely makes your pee stink.
Obviously yours and mine, but not everybody's. If urine stinks or not has to do with enzymes - whatever that is. Life is not fair. :-(
@porwest (4839)
@MALUSE lol. Entirely unfair.
@pgntwo (21646)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
That plate appears to have smoked salmon and Bratkartoffeln on it, in addition to the somewhat elongated asparagus stalks. To say it appears to resemble the male genitalia is pure phallicism...
I think I'll leave your comment for others to respond to . . .
@pgntwo (21646)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@MALUSE No takers, it seems.
Excellent information in this discussion. Thanks!
Glad you like it. :.-)
If it is good for you that is something that all of us should be eating.
Can you get it where you live?
I never knew this fact about asparagus: a second harvest in the afternoons!
@ridingbet (52622)
i like how an asparagus taste, but it is not allowed for me because it has vitamin K.
I do love asparagus with hollandaise, actually I like just about anything with hollandaise.
I have never eaten white or green asparagus. My husband prepares green asparagus, but I have always taken a pass. For some reason the "try it, you might like it," advice has never worked on me.
@owlwings (39218)
• Cambridge, England
I have occasionally seen asparagus white like that on our local market but usually it's green and cut above ground (and a little smaller than those spears). We NEVER peel it! The instructions are always to snap the stems by bending gently. Where they snap is the point above which they are tender. The traditional way of cooking them is to stand them upright in boiling water so that the stems are boiled for 5-7 minutes and the tops cook in the steam. I don't usually bother to do this (which requires a tall saucepan and for the stems to be tied in a bundle) but either cook them in lightly salted water or steam them for 5 minuites or so.