Do you think the teacher should assign seats to students?

@RodrickH (9054)
China
I guess teacher may optimize the assignment of seats so teacher should assign seats. But there is disadvantage. What do you think?
@id_peace (6965)
Yes certain students needs to be positioned at certain place. You cannot put a tall student in front and block the view of the rest of the students at the back
@RodrickH (9054)
Yes, I remember there is a tall guy which is assigned in the front of our classroom so other students are complaining they can't see anything
@id_peace (6965)
Yes worse if the kid is like Shaq O Neal
@sabtraversa (13336)
I'm in favor of that, a 'cyclic exchange' of seats would be nice. It would help students to socialize with the whole class, and a teacher usually knows what a student needs, while students are driven by interests that aren't usually 'academic'. What would the disadvantage be?
@RodrickH (9054)
That's true, when I was a primary school student there is a "cyclic exchange", we will exchange our seats once a week, the disadvantage is if the teacher don't know about his or her students better the assignment of seats won't be optimized
@sabtraversa (13336)
@RodrickH Right, the teacher should probably let the students choose at the beginning of the term, that can also tell about their personality and intentions.
At the middle school level (10-12 years old) I did assign seats, but now that I teach high school, I don't bother. Some of my peers who teach the same subject and same level do but I don't. I believe that teenagers need to grow up at some time and take responsibility for themselves. They need to learn how to pay attention, how to not to be distracted, etc. I don't assign seats to my students but they all seem to sit in the same spots throughout the year as if I did. If there is an inter-personal issue between students, then I move them. Otherwise, where they sit is their business. It is up to them to pay attention, take notes, not be on their phones, not talk to their neighbor, etc. I really try to stay out of it. At the high-school level, students need to take responsibility for where they sit in the class and their focus on the lesson. . . which means my students can sit anywhere in the classroom that they like. I don't believe in assigned seats.
@RodrickH (9054)
it's nice that you won't force students to sit somewhere they may not want to, I agree that students should realize that they should be responsible even for themselves, I mean no one will force you to study, they should be responsible for themselves by studying and have a better life
@Daelii (5636)
I think it depends on the type of class. Younger kids the teacher should assign seats. Older kids should be able to select where they sit.
@RodrickH (9054)
Yes, that's a good idea, older kids should learn to be responsible so no need to assign seats