Rusting in peace - or maybe pieces

Bunbury, Australia
Heather Echola (@GardenGerty) just said in a comment that something was ‘old and corroded like me’. It reminded me the sign I saw at a machinery museum which we visited recently. It was full of very interesting and ancient items but very prominent was the sign asking visitors not to touch. There was an extensive display of car number plates. Years ago, car plates were an indicator of where the owner resided so NGN stood for Narrogin, out old home town. You can still get these plates today if you want them. The bus displays DB plates which stand for Donnybrook. Here is the link to @GardenGerty's post:
There are things that needed to be fixed at this house when we bought it. They were not unusable, but unattractive, or less than perfect. I do not nag. I...
We had the same car plates system in Italy years ago, from the plate you knew where people resided. We were very unhappy when they changed. Here people keep their plates, the plate Number 1 is still in use. You can sell your plate at an annual auction, the number 1 was sold for 250,000$.
@topffer (36052)
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
You can use the same plate that follows all your cars and sell it ? I would not pay for the number 1. I would not like to be investigated each time somebody sees a '1' on a plate when a hit-and-run happens.
@topffer Yes, you can use the same plate that follows all our cars, you must give back the plate if you do not have a car anymore. You must register with the motorization office if you want to sell your plate. Only the plates with 3 numbers or less can be sold. I would never want to drive a car with a too easy plate number.
@topffer (36052)
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
@LadyDuck It is somewhere stupid to pay for something that will put you in troubles soon or later. I was convoked once in a gendarmerie. I do not know what it was about, except that the same car/same color than mine was involved. They were checking all the cars with this color in the département. To do that it was probably something serious. Fortunately my car had not a car door damaged and was not exactly the model they were looking for or I would have been good for several hours of custody.
I had a cousin that collected car plates.
Some people here collect old plates too.
@topffer (36052)
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
They refrained to add "full of dangerous bacterias and viruses" on this sign. Whatever you tell there will be always people who will put their hands on them. Many museums have added glasses on paintings to be safe. It is a bit of a pity for visitors not craving to put their fingers on pieces of art. We had a similar system for plates, they were displaying the departement number where the owner was living. Since 2009 the plates have changed and the system is the same in all the EU although the plates are managed by each state. A logo from a specific area can be added, but it is optional and you can choose to add whatever logo your want.
We have something similar. Our plates often give the State with perhaps an emblem or phrase like Wagin - Home of the Big Ram. I just made that up so don't quote me!
@topffer (36052)
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
@JudyEv I suppose you cannot put whatever you want, or it would become an interesting game. We can only put the logo and name of a French région or département for oversea départements.
@topffer We can have personalised plates here but you pay extra for them. A young girl came out the other day. Her name is Madeleine House and her number plate is MadHouse.
• Uzbekistan
German targets also tell you where the car driver is from. I think this is a nice idea.
What do you mean by 'target'? I don't think you can mean a number plate.
• Uzbekistan
@JudyEv I mean exactly that. A funny mistake! It's 'targa' in *Italian*! A short-circuit in the language department of my brain. :-)
@MALUSE Oh I see!
@sprite1950 (14496)
• Corsham, England
I absolutely love looking at items from times gone by, It gives me a weird nostalgic feeling even if I wasn't alive when these treasures were first around.
Much of the old stuff I see was around when I was young but I can't decide if that is good or bad! But I do love looking at all the old tools and household goods. I find museums very interesting.
@sprite1950 (14496)
• Corsham, England
@JudyEv I don't visit museums very often mainly as we don't have one very close to where I live. I should make an effort to look for one in the nearest large city.
@sprite1950 Tourism is quite a big deal in most of Western Australia and many towns have small museums. Most are incredibly interesting.
@JudyEv Thanks Judy for sharing that with us.
Do you enjoy going through museums?
@JudyEv Sometimes but not all the time.
Our vehicle name plates indicate the State where they are registered. It is not advisable to keep them exposed like that.
How do you mean exposed? They are in a shed.
@JudyEv I thought they could be touched and so exposed, going by what the notice says
@aureliah (18440)
• Kenya
I really like that sign of allowing them to Rust In Peace,
It's quite clever isn't it?
@aureliah (18440)
• Kenya
@JudyEv It definitely is
@mlgen1037 (29626)
• Manila, Philippines
That is sign made me smile. It makes sense considering the displays. Hihi
It is a shame that people feel the need to touch things.
@mlgen1037 (29626)
• Manila, Philippines
@JudyEv You are right, Judy. Their reason is they want to touch the real thing.
@kepweng (18571)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
thats a Lot plate numbers is the a restaurant coffe shop??
It is a machinery museum. There is a coffee shop nearby.
Yes, it is always interesting to see those relics of the past!
They had quite a lot of exhibits including old wringers and very early washing machines.
@tzwrites (4954)
It's good pun I have to admit . Interesting museum to visit though.
There was some very interesting stuff in the museum.
I like that, those things are so cool.
I think it's amazing that he was lent the plans for a start.
It is funny how we collect old things. People collect car tags here as well. Our plates have the county in the upper left corner, and a year decal goes on the upper right. Our numbering system here in Kansas is called 123-ABC having three digits followed by three letters. Or you can order a tag for extra that has a message, as long as it is not obscene and no one else is using it. You can also get customized tags for veterans and purple hearts, etc.
We can have personalised plates too if we want to and if we pay a bit extra. We now have a number then 3 letters then 3 or 4 numbers. .
The notice was very smart , naughty and funny. But it did make the message loud and clear.
Yes there is no misunderstanding the message.
Rust in peace! That's a good one.
They get the message across without offending anyone.
@cintol (7704)
I love that sign, looks like a cool place to visit. I love looking at things like this from the past
I always enjoy these sorts of museums too.
@rakski (21960)
This makes me nervous. That if I hold it, I will have a tetanus. lol
I don't think you'd get tetanus from any of the items but you might get dirty.
That's pretty cool. I always like to collect anything cool I find too.
It's difficult to know what to do with what you collect. You can always keep it for ages but eventually what will become of it? It's all right for you - you're only young!