Running Circles Around MyLot

@porwest (8345)
Everyone seems to have their own 'best method' for getting around the site and finding people to interact with and discussions to read. One of my favorite ways to do this is something I have always referred to as 'making circles.' That is, simply, you start by responding to a response—say, one in one of your own discussions. Then you click on that person's profile, and pick a discussion they have participated in and open it in a new tab. Go there and read and leave a comment if you feel so inclined. Then go into the person's profile and find a discussion there. Pick, at random, another user within THAT person's discussion. And just repeat. It seems complicated but it really is not. The best part is you can sometimes find some older discussions that are really interested that you otherwise may have missed. It's easier to meet new people that way too.
you no I never look up on the older discussion.I should do this.
@porwest (8345)
It's a lot of fun. I always say, "scroll down." I think everyone gets at least a smidgen of a smile when they find that an old, and maybe otherwise forgotten post suddenly gets seen.
@cintol (8298)
I like doing this because some of the people don't post articles of their own,, they mainly comment and read others and then you can comment on their comments.
@porwest (8345)
Yes. Exactly. And besides, sometimes it gets boring just sticking around the 'most recent activity,' 'most recent discussions' etcetera. I even like to scroll down to find older discussions in someone's profile. There are hidden gems to be found.
@cintol (8298)
@porwest Oh yes, I have found a couple of those.
@porwest (8345)
@cintol Me too, and they are always fun to find.
You lost me but I make do around these parts
@porwest (8345)
I probably explained it a bit weird. If it is any consolation I sometimes lose myself too.
@kaka135 (14130)
I like to do that too. I didn't really do that on purpose, but I just get easily attracted to some discussions. I might just go round and round, and forgot to go back to my own discussions to read the next response.
@morgoodie (2710)
Haha I get lost once in a while as well. Sometimes, I will see something on the right of the page that catches my eye and will go and read that discussion.
@dragon54u (31638)
That sounds like a very interesting way to spend an hour! I will try that this weekend and probably learn a lot of fascinating things!
@porwest (8345)
It is a lot of fun, and like I said, you tend to find some pretty interesting stuff you might otherwise have missed. Hope you find some hidden gems.
@sprite1950 (14496)
• Corsham, England
I try to do that but sometimes I have so many notifications to get through that it just doesn't happen. However sometimes I am aware that I have not made a post on a person's discussion for a while and I will look him up to see what he is up to
@porwest (8345)
Definitely getting through the notifications can become quite time consuming. If prior sites are any indication, I presume it will only get worse.
@sprite1950 (14496)
• Corsham, England
@porwest Sometimes I'm too tired to attend to them so they pile up and then I don't always get round to doing anything other than answering them.
@porwest (8345)
@sprite1950 Same here. I know at the end of the day I want to get to everything. But I also am well aware it's probably not the end of the world if I don't.
@morgoodie (2710)
Interesting method and doesn't really seem too complicated once you do it a few times. I may have to try this out and like you said you can find older discussions that you probably missed. Thanks for the tip!!
@porwest (8345)
Finding older discussions is not only interesting and fun, but even I have to admit I appreciate it when someone finds an older discussion and interacts. Kind of tells me that person is truly engaged in wanting to read what's on the site instead of just doing the 'easy,' finding the most recent stuff just to leave a comment.
@morgoodie (2710)
@porwest That's a good point. Sometimes, there isn't much different in the Most Recent Discussions section either so you need a way to find other topics to comment on.
@porwest (8345)
@morgoodie That's one of the reasons I like doing it this way. It is easy to run out of new stuff to look at in the most recent section, and even in the most interesting section.
@porwest It really seems interesting how you do it.
@porwest (8345)
It breaks up some of the monotony, and sometimes it works really well when you actually sort of run the course on "most recent."
@porwest ok if you say so Jim.
@aureliah (19438)
• Kenya
This is exactly what I'm doing at the moment. I call it payback
@porwest (8345)
I like your sentiment. Payback is a good way to think about it.
@aureliah (19438)
• Kenya
@porwest Thank you
Is that how we found each other?
@porwest (8345)
Most likely.
@KrauseHome (35514)
Well when i am respondine to people who have respondedin one of my discussions i have started i will go to that persins profile and respond baci in one of their discussions as a way of Thanks. Great way to meet others as well
@porwest (8345)
It is a great way to go about it and make new discoveries for sure.
It sounds like a good method
@porwest (8345)
It certainly helps to get around a bit more and to find some discussions that aren't front and center on any of the most recent screens.
• Bournemouth, England
A very systematic approach! Good to see you on here. I remember you well from Webanswers.
@porwest (8345)
It's always fun to re-meet people from around the web we've met in the past. Good to see you here as well.
@id_peace (7631)
I think you summarized it well
@porwest (8345)
Thank you. I suppose the way I described it to some might seem confusing. But it's a fun process even if someone does their own version of it.
There are so many methods but one must have the time.
@porwest (8345)
Very true. But while we're here...
That's a good way to go about meeting new people. By the time I interact with those I'm following I don't usually have much extra time.
@porwest (8345)
It CAN be difficult to find a good balance. You want to get to all you can be it notifications, followers, responding back on our own discussions...but it's not an easy task. And of course, you want to fit in finding new people.
I do not follow the same pattern every time.
@porwest (8345)
Me either technically. I especially follow the "circles" method when I have run out of notifications to catch up on or when I have run the course on most interesting and most recent.
• Peoria, Arizona
That is a very unique way of doing it! I think we all have our own circle method, mine is weird and changes all the time but whatever works!
@Icydoll (25822)
This circle process is cool :).I will try this .it's definitely easier to meet new people and interact with them.
I occasionally get comments on old posts but I've always assumed that they had been featured on the sidebar. I do similar to you and if I see that someone has left an interesting comment I will often go to their profile.