Aisle, Center, Window... which seat do you prefer?

@AlisaTR (961)
Trinidad And Tobago
When travelling by plane, where do you prefer to sit? In the aisle, at the center, or by the window? Until recently, I always selected a window seat. I used to like to be able to see things, you know? And you got the best views, in my opinion, when travelling to a big city and landing at night. Until recently, I loved the window seat. But then there was this bizarre and tragic accident recently. While in mid-air, a plane's engine blew out and a piece broke off and smashed a window. A passenger was almost sucked out of the plane. She did not survive. I was traumatized even listening to this story and wondering what that passenger, that lady's family must have been going through. And I feel terrible to confess this, but a tiny part of me was relieved to be on land. Now I must fly. There are Borough Day festivities in Trinidad and Tobago in a couple of weeks, and we're heading there to join in the fun. I'll be posting about that in a bit. Today, as we are getting ready to leave, I am not looking foward to the trip AT ALL. In fact, just the thought of flying is giving me the jitters. See, here's the thing: I bought my tickets months ago, before this accident occurred. And, of course, I booked a window seat for myself. Now... I don't think I want a window seat anymore. This evening's our flight. By this time, I am usually super excited about the prospect of travel. Instead, I am breaking into a sweat. Laugh at me if you will, call me a coward, quote all the statistics available about the likelihood of such an accident repeating itself and it still wouldn't matter. I do not feel comfortable with the idea of that window seat. I'd just be spending my entire flight thinking about the engine. But there's nothing for it now, we have to travel, so I think I am going to have to ask my husband to switch seats. Which brings me to the question, myLotters... when traveling, which seat do you prefer- the aisle, the center or the window?
@Teekaaa (5836)
Surely window seat!lol..
@AlisaTR (961)
• Trinidad And Tobago
This was me until earlier this month @Teekaaa
@Icydoll (24627)
Haha same here teeka but centre is good and safe
@Teekaaa (5836)
@Icydoll yeah you are right
@Starmaiden (7643)
Preferably the window seat on long flights. I can rest my head against the window to sleep. My Seat partner wouldn't appreciate that if I had the aisle seat.
@AlisaTR (961)
• Trinidad And Tobago
@Starmaiden you've got a good point there
By the window, so I can see the clouds and the view below.
@AlisaTR (961)
• Trinidad And Tobago
I always did like this seat... not so sure anymore though.
@AKRao24 (21173)
Despite reading everything you have mentioned I still prefer window seat. With addition to all the advantages I would like to mention that, I find window seat totally undisturbed and I find good space to rest my back the way I like with head resting on the side board! I had similar situation few weeks back, as you are having right now, when we had about 150 mid -air engine failures within six months. I was to travel to my home city for a couple of days, but then I was assured that those problematic flights have been grounded by then and the journey would be safe for me. So I took the flight and I am safe....Don't worry everything will be fine for you , Have a great journey! All the best! Please let us know how enjoyed your trip once you are back! God bless! take care @AlisaTR!
@AlisaTR (961)
• Trinidad And Tobago
Thanks @AKRao24. And I understand what you are saying. I'm still scooting over to the aisle seat though Re: trip... It's all good. Once I can log in when I arrive, I'll be right back here with you guys
@AKRao24 (21173)
@AlisaTR , Nice to know that yiu are traveling without any more fear! All the best! God bless!
@AlisaTR (961)
• Trinidad And Tobago
@AKRao24 oh I didn't say that! But I'm holding to my resolve to try the aisle this time. Flight's this evening. Hoping there's not going to be any turbulence.
I prefer a window seat. then I won't have to get up when aisle or center need to use the bathroom.
@AlisaTR (961)
• Trinidad And Tobago
True. But in my case, the window and center is my husband and one of my kids. I'd rather risk that than pieces of metal or anything else for that matter slamming into my window.
@AlisaTR I never think of a plane mishap - otherwise I would never fly.
@AlisaTR (961)
• Trinidad And Tobago
@Kandae11 yep! It could get to you. Turns out though that our trip was just fine. We got in near midnight and I'm already up ready to travel, see and taste!
@aureliah (18536)
• Kenya
I always prefer the window seat since no one will bother me when they move around
@AlisaTR (961)
• Trinidad And Tobago
@aureliah you came in on the winning side for this one. I don't think I saw anyone say directly that they preferred the center seat. No one really does, I don't think. Those are the seats that get filled last.
@aureliah (18536)
• Kenya
@AlisaTR yeah that is very true
I am afraid of heights and I do not want to look out the window. So, aisle or middle seat for me.
@AlisaTR (961)
• Trinidad And Tobago
@Corbin5 Thanks Well I ended up by the window anyway. I could not persuade my husband to switch. And we made the journey just fine.
@Jessabuma (33192)
• Baguio, Philippines
I will surely take the window seat..
@AlisaTR (961)
• Trinidad And Tobago
@Jessabuma I don't know...
@Jessabuma (33192)
• Baguio, Philippines
It's window... Second option is aisle.. Center is worst..
@AlisaTR (961)
• Trinidad And Tobago
I do feel hemmed in at the center.
@AlisaTR same here..
@maximax8 (28558)
I prefer the window so I can look out at take off and landing. My daughter usually sits in the middle and my disabled son sits in the aisle seat.
@AlisaTR (961)
• Trinidad And Tobago
Did you ever find a situation where you three were separated? Happened to me once with my kids. They were a few aisles ahead of me with their dad cuz we didn't book the flight together. I kept wanting to stand up midflight so that I could see what they were doing.
I prefer the window seat too, you can't let your life be governed by improbable 'what ifs'. You might as well say you are not going to cross the road anymore because a pedestrian has been killed doing just that
@AlisaTR (961)
• Trinidad And Tobago
@jaboUK you've got a fair point there
@porwest (7405)
Egads! That would be one heck of a horrible experience for sure. That being said it is also an extremely rare circumstance. I'd still prefer a window seat. There are plenty of other dangers on a plane...so...you really aren't avoiding much no matter where you choose to sit.
@AlisaTR (961)
• Trinidad And Tobago
@porwest That is very true.
I prefer the aisle now.
@AlisaTR (961)
• Trinidad And Tobago
There we go. Someone who things like me.