For Free

@YrNemo (14768)
Our heater seems to have some simple ignition problem but since the weather has been pleasant enough, we decide not to do a thing about it yet except to get a few quotes via online or by phones. Some heating and cooling companies have been very interesting. Some demanded our detailed address before giving us a quote. (That tactic was used by the locksmiths we had contacted a few months ago too.) The latest company I called, the man ended up beating about the bush for about 15 or 20 minutes, before giving me any quote. In that time, I rolled my eyes a few times (a chance to exercise my eyes I guess! ) listening to his voice going on and on about life and its treachery, and how dishonest other companies could be when they gave their potential customers a lower quote than it should be, only to trick them into paying more later. He did have a point there of course and I in a sense, appreciated his free tip, but at the same time, I was surprised that asking for a quote could be that complicated. As it is, his quote is similar to other companies, give or take about $20 from the few hundred dollars they asked. I might (or might not) call this guy, depend on how things turn out. It would be funny if our heater's ignition suddenly worked again by itself... Have you ever got extra service while asking for a quote like I did? (I got a free philosophy lecture didn't I? . I heard that in some Europe countries, some postmen gave stud service for free while delivering posts. Isn't that amazing? (I don't need that of course! ))
This reminds me of the " milk man" came by
@YrNemo (14768)
You are right too .
@mlgen1037 (29623)
• Manila, Philippines
Well, there are when we call our internet provider and they tell or sorts of things just to avail their products.
@YrNemo (14768)
I never knew that! Some or my phone companies did that to me, they called and told me of this and that and this and that (I didn't call them at all, they called me!).
@mlgen1037 (29623)
• Manila, Philippines
@YrNemo hahaha. We call them when there is internet problem because it is really slow. Imagine you are calling for a problem and then they start doing sales talk. I do not if it is to distract us from the slow connection or to make us avail of the whatever products they have. How can we avail of more if the service is really bad.
@YrNemo (14768)
@FayeHazel (21245)
Wow! Yes, sometimes I get a free lecture lol. Usually not though, thankfully
@YrNemo (14768)
Considering that that was a free lecture on a weekend, I was extra surprised. (Don't tradesmen always charge more for after hours and weekend etc? )
@FayeHazel (21245)
@YrNemo Yeah, seriously!
@aureliah (19439)
• Kenya
Sometimes I do not understand gadgets. Don't be surprised if it works all by itself
@YrNemo (14768)
like my cell phones! (I got a few, some are not expensive one bit.) There are some that constantly taking pic of my foot or the ground whenever I was about to use it. So aggravating!
@aureliah (19439)
• Kenya
@YrNemo I only have one phone and an iPad
@YrNemo (14768)
@aureliah At my age, I have decided to not bother chasing after new technology. My kids laughed hilariously when they saw those photos of the ground or my feet (I didn't even know that they were there, my children happened to check the camera and photos of those phones...).
Let's hope the heater starts working again on its own ! I loathe getting quotes. But I will try to make the most out of it by asking a lot of questions - and like an interview, I might base my decision based on the way they answer - but of course the big deal is from the actual quote. I don't appreciate pushiness, scare tactics, let-me-get-on-the-phone-with-my-manager-on-speaker-phone-and-let's-see-if-we-can-work-out-a-deal-right-now, too much me me me talk - it's all for free too, but they are instant turn offs for me.
@YrNemo (14768)
The guy even tried to tell me that he had to pay his bills (lots) and that was why he must charge me that much etc. since he had no money to pay .
@YrNemo Well I guess he was honest ? But that makes him sound like someone who might not manage his money well - makes you wonder how he must manage his business .
@YrNemo (14768)
@much2say I am worried more about he turned up, looked at the heater and suddenly thought about his unpaid bills, and decided to charge me more to make up for that!
The price always seems to go up when we give our address to certain companies. It seems that most companies want to stop by before giving an estimate these days and LOL about the postmen!
@YrNemo (14768)
I was shocked hearing that too about that dedicated postman! Heard that he was or still is a very athletic guy, in this and that competition. He serviced quite a big number of women in that neighborhood (The women found out!).
@Madshadi (8991)
• Brussels, Belgium
I hope your heater will work again by itself and save you all this trouble
@YrNemo (14768)
I tried again yesterday, no luck. I will try again in a few days time. (who knows heh? )
@Madshadi (8991)
• Brussels, Belgium
@YrNemo you are right. Keep trying as long as it's not needed now
Here, most of the services required a "$100.00 service call" just to show up first.
@YrNemo (14768)
We have all sort of prices here, some only demands $90, others $285 etc.
I am hoping your heater will fix itself!!! It is possible, but a long shot. I am sure over the years we have been charged a bit over the quote because of this or that.
@YrNemo (14768)
In our old property, we had a fancy (fake logs) gas heater, very pretty, but we had to fork out $250 or something similar every year to service it. We were told that we had to do that in order for it to work (the man was from that specific heater company!). A painful business paying that money every year . (we had it installed almost 2 decades ago, we just left that property a while ago!).
The locksmith ploy is a bit of a worry. Are they tied in with a burglar do you think?
@YrNemo (14768)
We never know, right? I was told that in jail/prisons, how to open locks without any keys is one course that is offered for free there. (I have been watching too many thrillers I guess!)
Maybe, but none springs to mind. I hope he does a great job for you!
@YrNemo (14768)
A lot of money involved for just a service call. I will take my time reading reviews on the internet first.
I guess they don't know everything, they probably just given a script and thinking you would fall for it.