Cilantro is elusive these days

I love love love fresh cilantro. It is one of those fresh herbs that people either love or hate. There really is no middle ground on it. It is said that there is a genetic basis for it and that some people have a gene that makes cilantro take "soapy" to them which is why they dislike it so intensely. Cilantro is commonly used in Mexican, Middle-Eastern, and some Asian cuisines. I cook a lot of Mexican and occasionally a Middle-Eastern dish or two, so I try to always keep a couple of bunches of fresh cilantro in the crisper drawer of the fridge. Lately that is becoming more difficult to do as every time I go to the grocery store they seem to be out of fresh cilantro. I have no idea why this is--there is no recall on it, I haven't heard of a parasite attacking cilantro crops, etc. This has been going on for the past few months. Yesterday I was supposed to garnish the Mexican rice that I brought to the party with freshly chopped cilantro. I really think that it would have added a bit of that "missing" flavor to the dish. Instead I had to use parsley to give it some color and the parsley didn't add much to the overall thing. Has anyone seen my cilantro?
@Namelesss (1656)
• Thomasville, Georgia
Found it, it's in a pot hanging on a stand way down low so you can't help but trip over it at Walmart. You may have to buy a pot and keep it near a window. Love cilantro!
I wish I had a spot for a pot of it in my house.
I would love to be able to grow cilantro but somehow I stink at it. I tried to grow them in a pot in the kitchen maybe 2-3 times . . . either they had too much sun or not enough . . . and I could never grow a sizable bunch like I use in cooking. So I just buy them .
@much2say I have had the same experience. Mine usually bolts. I think cilantro does better in cooler months. Plus I use up so much of it that I'd need like a huge patch of it.
@Jessabuma (33168)
• Baguio, Philippines
What is the difference between cilantro and celery? I have never tried to use cilantro in cooking
Cilantro is a green herb that looks similar to parsley but it has a very different flavor. I love it but people either love or hate it. To me it is bright, fresh, and almost lemony.
@Jessabuma (33168)
• Baguio, Philippines
@NJChicaa Ohh I see.. thanks for sharing
I LOVE cilantro and could use gobs of it wherever I can ! How strange, I haven't noticed cilantro being scarce here . . . I know I bought some the other day for our taco salad. Oh yah, parsley is completely different - it doesn't have that cilantro punch!
Every time I look for it, it is totally gone.
The last time I went to make some salsa I could not find fresh cilantro anywhere. I do like it but don't buy it all that often. It does add a nice flavor though.
I've been having such a hard time finding it.