Why Hand Some..

@vandana7 (66045)
Beauty Full Hand Some Why Hand at all..the guys have legs too...to the best of my knowledge and belief. Did Hand mean something different when that word was coined? Oh so many questions...English is tough I tell you...try erasing it from your minds and relearning it..
Yes, English can get confusing if it is not your native language. Perhaps this link might help you understand this word.
Meaning: "easy to handle, ready at hand," from hand (n.) + -some (1). Sense extended to "fit, appropriate" (1550s, implied in… See more definitions.
@garymarsh6 (14263)
English is quite a peculiar language. IE similar words used that have different meanings such as Read sounding like REED Read sounding like RED Just two tiny examples but there are hundreds more! No wonder it is confusing!
Do you know the famous pronunciation poem? Read it aloud!
The English Magazine English Pronunciation Fun with English Dearest Creature aka The Chaos That English Pronunciation Poem! Listen to this tricky little poem and you can practise your pronunciation and listening skills, and don't worry if you don't know al
@garymarsh6 (14263)
@MALUSE Thank you I loved reading that. I can imagine it would be very difficult for some to say those words correctly let alone understand them if English is not their mother tongue! I must keep a copy of that!
@garymarsh6 Glad to be of help. You can hand it out at the next family gathering and ask your guests to read it aloud! :-)
If you start deciphering the whys and wheres of the English language you know where you will land.
@vandana7 (66045)
I know...but periodically, the words break down...if it is beauty full, then why not hand full, (which they are as you know). And the hand minus torso, head, legs, has me really wonder what that person was up to when coming up for word equivalent to beauty full. Was some meant to be sum. Phew...English has no logic ...tough language to learn.
@vandana7 There you go again Not tough to learn but tough to mug (lol) as it has no logic. You learn something where there is logic.
@vandana7 (66045)
@allknowing Yeah...it becomes necessary to have larger vocabulary because you can't say this is opposite of that.
@AKRao24 (19645)
In fact I was clueless when I read this discussion ...so having referred the net I could get why they are called as hand some and not leg some! Link: Thanks @vandana7!
Definition of handsome - (of a man) good-looking., (of a number, sum of money, or margin) substantial
@vandana7 (66045)
Strange don't you think ..when comparing beauty, they are side stepping the issue.
@AKRao24 (19645)
@vandana7 , that clearly indicate that men don't have face value, they are expected to be proficient performance wise!
@skysnap (17804)
I think it was coined based on some men helping out "hand some" as a resourceful person IMO.
@vandana7 (66045)
But when you are comparing looks, why hand is the only thing that is considered for men..
@skysnap (17804)
@vandana7 I think it is symbol of companionship I guess.. for example bollywood cheesy dialogues "shadi ka haath mangna" etc.
@vandana7 (66045)
@skysnap .. Shadi mein haath mangna implies asking her hand in marriage, and that is companionship. On the contrary, we are comparing physical attributes. If comparison is to be made ..people would compare tea with coffee. Not tea with sandwich. It is something like that.
Mid 1600s-handsome: ‘well-proportioned’ and ‘elegant."
@vandana7 (66045)
Even women can be well-proportioned and elegant. If you consider the word beauty itself, its opposite should be unbeauty or nobeauty. That would be so simple. From where did ugly come..how do you correlate words like that...so much to learn in your language. So tough. :(
@vandana7 Middle English: from Old Norse uggligr ‘to be dreaded,’ from ugga ‘to dread.’
@vandana7 (66045)
@Corbin5 I could dread somebody who was handsome but painfully boring or have atrocious behavior...
@crossbones27 (20258)
• Redlands, California
I think what it was back in those days where everything was so violent and crude. Women were lucky to find men with both of their hands. Since only some men had both of their hands they combined. You are so handsome because you have both of your hands and only some men have that. You are so handsome.
@vandana7 (66045)
If there was a way to identify best answer for the post, you would win it hands down...women were lucky to find men with both their hands...lol. OMG crossbonses27..you made me laugh soooooooooooooooo much..lol. gasping for breath..wait..omg ..this is the most intelligent response..lol
• Redlands, California
@vandana7 Thanks miss lady
@Mavic123456 (9869)
• Thailand
So many informative answers here... I couldn't add for more... But in the Philippines we say... Hand-some-ah which means.... are you interested to know?
@vandana7 (66045)
Definitely...let me know...please...dying of curiosity..lol
• Thailand
@vandana7 it's the opposite of the meaning of handsome. hahaha.. it means. ugly man, "hand + some + ma " lol
@mandala100 (45985)
@vandana7 Maybe such word has its own etymology my friend but that's a very good question my friend.
@vandana7 (66045)
Yeah..the word hand had me going nuts, why hand, why not leg, or torso.
@mandala100 (45985)
@vandana7 Yes my friend why not?
@SAM774 (3807)
Haha..... Never thought about it... But legsome doesn't sound good though lol
@vandana7 (66045)
Torso some? Or if you prefer to change spellings torsosum.
@kanchan10 (2985)
• Kolkata, India
legs are always are taken for granted though we can't stand tall without it. on a serious not hands helps to do all those "GOOD" works like eating, playing music etc so its hand some. just may be
@vandana7 (66045)
Give me a break...we women also have hands, ok? OK? GLARE..LOL
Beautiful, female beauty = your beauty full Handsome, is the manly version of beauty = your hand some
@vandana7 (66045)
It should be hand full.
@UncleJoe (10269)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Believe it or not, "perfect" English is not so easy for most of us either. We tend to have demographic languages hidden WITHIN our primary tongue.