Sunday Afternoon Nap

As long as I can remember my Dad used to indulge in a Sunday afternoon nap. It usually occurred at 1pm, and he got up when he got up. There wasn't to be anyone wake him, and it was suggested that we (there were 4 of us kids) kept things down to a dull roar while he was napping. I never quite understood that Sunday afternoon nap thing.......until recently. Today we woke up at our son's home. I don't sleep well in other beds, or in other homes. There are so many sounds that wake me and I like the mattress and pillows that we have here better then any others. And......at 5:45 Ellie, our son's dog, made her way into our bedroom and woke me. Yes, she intentionally went to my side of the bed and licked my fingers and woke me up. She didn't even bother with my husband. So naturally, being up early, after a night of not-the-best-sleep, I was tired when we got back home again. So, I practised what my Dad used to on Sunday afternoon, and gave in and had a nice little 40 minute nap. Now I feel much better, the sad thing is that the weekend is nearly over. Did you enjoy a Sunday Afternoon Nap today? ~Photo is of Ellie having a Sunday Afternoon Nap
That is an adorable photo. I might just nap as well, but right now I'm hungry not sleepy.
Thank you. I took that picture before the kids moved into their home and were just going there on the weekends to do stuff. I don't look that cute when I nap.
Aww, I'll bet you miss her @Juliaacv I doubt I'd look that cute either .... funny how kritters always do.
@rebelann We are very close with our son's dog, and she loves to see us.
@Shellyann36 (9513)
I get in naps when I can. They are few and far between in my household!
I hope to get one in today!!
@Juliaacv Good luck. It is Saturday here and I doubt it for me. Saturday means lots of kids in and out of the house.
@Shellyann36 We were up really early this morning, and did a ton of running around, and my eyes are tired now.......will have to give in to a quick little cat nap in a while. No more then 15 or 20 minutes.
I have always been unable to have a nap. I was very tired yesterday afternoon, a nice fresh breeze came in from the window, I relaxed and listened to music, doing nothing, but not sleeping.
I wish that I could do that, but I seem to be going full steam or out like a light, even if only for a few minutes.
@Juliaacv I do not know why I cannot sleep in the afternoon. Even when I was a kid I never had an afternoon nap, my brother used to sleep.
@LadyDuck I've always been able to enjoy a nap, even as a young adult I could.
Ellie has such long legs. She must have needed some company to wake you but I suppose you didn't really appreciate her affection.
She is long-legged. They are looking into a place to board her for a couple of weeks this summer when they go to Poland, we will try to take her in October when they go away. She prefers to stay home, so next fall I may have to move into their place for a week. I suggested a horse farm that takes dogs in for boarding, I know the owner and she'd be well cared for there.
@Juliaacv We have boarding kennels at the end of our road but we heard the other day that a dog escaped and it hasn't been found so that isn't a very good recommendation. Wouldn't that be devastating? To come home to no dog? You might enjoy a week looking after Ellie.
@JudyEv Oh I'd love to look after her for a week. And it is much safer to have me there so that they don't have any issues with an empty house. I just hope that I can get that time off of work.
A little nap can feel so good. I can't nap though or I can't sleep at night. I have an awful time sleeping away from home as well. I like no noises and my bed and sheets and pillows. I don't adjust to changes very well especially sleep related. Your dog looks like a larger size poodle?
My naps are rarely longer then 15 or 20 minutes, or I wouldn't sleep at night either. The dog is our son's dog, Ellie. She's an Aussie-Doodle, which is a cross between and Australian Shepherd and a Poodle. She has a lot of the shepherd in her, the height and her habits, when they take her out and there's a bit of a crowd, she will circle the outside of the crowd, drawing everyone together, just like a shepherd dog would. She's a certified therapy dog, our son and his wife are both social workers, and they take her into the under 18 youth group homes for visitation purposes.
@Juliaacv that is really neat she will circle people that way. That is so awesome that she is a therapy dog. They can be such a mood lifter for people to spend time with them.
@shaggin She has a comical personality and it comes across when they take her out for therapy visits. She's a natural mood lifter, but she isn't hyper or high strung, which is nice and soothing.
I have never had any luck with taking naps. Ellie looks so sweet taking her nap!!
Thanks. I took that picture of her over a month ago before they moved in. She just flops down and can sleep anywhere.
@Juliaacv She is adorable!!!
@Corbin5 Thanks, she has quite the comical personality.
I usually nap but I didn't get time to nap last Sunday. I was out with friends and had fun together.
No need if you were out and about having a good time.
@Juliaacv Agree
I am not sure I slept on sunday. I often sleep for many hours. Do you nap at all when tired? I guess that was 5:45 am since you said early. But I often sleep at 5 am for the nights. like most would sleep at 10 pm. lol.
I only take the occasional afternoon nap when I don't sleep well the night before, and I usually wake after 15 or 20 minutes, but yesterday it was longer.
@Juliaacv That is good since it helps at times. Thank you.
@sprite1950 (13870)
• Corsham, England
I'm just like you and cannot sleep away from home and I also have a dog which sticks her wet nose on me when she wants feeding first thing! As regards the nap .. mine used to be confined to Sundays but now I'm retired I have them every day!
I remember my Gramma's doctor insisted that she give in to a daily afternoon nap. She struggled with angina pain, and that was a way to get her to slow down, she was a very high strung person.
@sprite1950 (13870)
• Corsham, England
@Juliaacv I always feel revitalised after my nap although I have to make sure it's not too long or I won't sleep at night,
I don't sleep well when not at home either. Though, as of last year, I haven't been sleeping well at home too LOL. Glad you had a nap and feel better. Hope you have a great night.
I'll sleep like a baby tonight in my own bed.
@Juliaacv i certainly hope so
@mandala100 (43235)
@Juliaacv It maybe what we call now as "power nap" my friend.
For me a power nap is only 15-20 minutes long, this was a lot longer and deeper then that.
@mandala100 (43235)
@Juliaacv Let us call it "power sleep" then my friend!
@HeavenlyB (233)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Saturday nap is much better for me but i think i will try your ingredient
You got to love a good nap.
Oh yeah!
No nap for me. Felt like napping but decided to just read a book instead.
I couldn't keep my eyes open, so I couldn't read.
@nela13 (6829)
• Portugal
I only take naps when I am sick or tired because I didn't sleep well.
I didn't sleep well last night, so that's why I snuck in a little nap, but tonight I hope to sleep really well.
@porwest (4806)
I have never been a napper any day of the week, but I know several people who are. I figure so long as I get a good night's sleep, who needs a nap? I have too much I want to do throughout the day to bother with putting myself out. I do hear it is rejuvenating. Still. But I don't fault anyone for doing it, It's just not for me.
That was my problem today, I did not get a good night's sleep last night and just couldn't go on without a little nap. Tonight I'll sleep better since I always sleep well at home here.
Ms.Ruby just the opposite she chew the heck out of them.So I stop bying.Give here teething ring.lol
Ellie chews them too, but they replace them on a regular basis. She has a few stuffed babies with squeakies in them that she'll play with but won't destroy, she relies on those for when the kids are gone and she's lonely. She was playing with one today while we went out for breakfast together.
I don't know why, but I cannot nap. I haven't been able to in years. My dad always took a Sunday afternoon nap. He and My Mom would get home from church, we'd eat lunch, and they'd get a nap before they got up for church that night. My dad still does it. You must have really needed that sleep!
I didn't sleep well at all last night. We have the most comfortable mattress, and I like it.
Actually I did I just sat back in the recliner and had a wonderful nap. Cute picture of Ellie catching some Zzzzz',s
I can't really sleep sitting up in the recliner. I need to be lying down. Ellie, she can, and she has, slept almost anywhere. She has trouble in the car, she isn't a great rider, and doesn't sleep well in the car.
@Morleyhunt (19749)
No nap for me. On the rare occasion that I give in to a nap....it's a ten minute power nap. Any longer and I wake groggy and then later can't sleep.
That's why I usually only do a 15 or 20 minute nap, more to me is referred to as a sleep. And I guess based on how long I was out today, it was more of a sleep then a nap.