Buying gifts for others based on what I'd like

Bunbury, Australia
As I’ve aged, I’ve worked out a few things along the way. One is that, if I’m not careful, I buy gifts that I’d like rather than focussing on what the recipient might like. I love books but I’m sure from time to time I’ve bought books for people who really have little interest in reading. I know I’m not the only one who does this as Vince once bought me a set of carpet bowls. I’d never expressed a wish for these but he had. So I’m wondering if other people find that their choice of gift is influenced by their own preferences. The other thing I’ve done is bought a gift that is something I would really like for myself but is a bit too expensive. But I buy it anyway and justify the expense by giving it to someone. Somehow this satisfies my need for it. It usually involves a horse ornament or book which I’ll give to my sister. That way I’ll be lent the book to read later or I enjoy the ornament when I visit. The photo is of my sister, brother and a school-friend on Shirley’s school pony, Silver. A ‘school pony’ was one which was ridden to school each day before school buses became commonplace. My sister in at the front.
@vandana7 (67521)
This is one of the two reasons I do not like giving or receiving gifts. Gifts should be based on the person's liking and NEEDS and which the person is telling himself or herself "oh it is too expensive, I can live without it". I opt for giving cash. If I can't buy the person what he or she needs, at least, he or she can combine the cash with other cash gifts, to buy exactly what he or she desired.
@Icydoll (24441)
I prefer to give cash..yeah gifts should be based on other person's liking.
@vandana7 (67521)
@Icydoll It is the best. What happens is we may based on our contact levels, decide this is the budget for this person. Now, we go about shopping based on that budget. We may even buy something that we don't like, and the other person does not like or need. Effectively, that is waste gift. But the person to whom we gifted has to return gift sometime. He or she does the same!!! What are we doing here? We are creating erratic demand for things that nobody really wants!!! So some people get employed, for a while, to make those unwanted things, and when the demand is not sufficient, they get thrown from the jobs. If we were not to create such a demand, in the first place, resources would go to the right places, and everything would remain affordable. Whoever created the present gift system needed his brain screw tightened.
I think money is the best too really but then you have to decide how much and that becomes a problem. Maybe we should just scrap gifts. With our older friends, an invitation to celebrate a birthday might include the words 'no gifts please' which makes it easy.
@porwest (7265)
I can't imagine riding a horse to school. But hey, however you have to get there right? As for gift buying I try to think of what the person might like. It's hard to do. Even if you think you really know someone. If all else fails they get a gift card.
Although Vince never liked gift cards much we are finding we resort to them more and more. At least the person can buy something they like and want.
@porwest (7265)
@JudyEv That is the nice thing about gift cards even if some find them impersonal.
@porwest And people know how much you've spent!
• Preston, England
I often get people books and films that I have enjoyed myself
It's good if people have somewhat similar tastes to yourself. It makes it a bit easier.
• Preston, England
@JudyEv yes, I often watch movies or read books thinking which friends might also enjoy them
It's hard picking gifts everyone already has anything I can afford lol.
Vince never liked to buy gift cards but we find ourselves using them more and more now. Young people in particular seem very hard to buy for.
@hereandthere (32753)
what a pretty pony (even if it's black and white). so 3 is the maximum children it can carry, or depends on the height and weight? some people are easy to buy gifts for, and i usually get it right. some i resort to cash.
You wouldn't normally put three people on it, not to go for a ride or whatever. But they are strong enough to bear as many as you can fit on their back. Here is my aunt, uncle and other rellies from years back.
@JudyEv oh, that's what people here also do on motorcycles, tricycles and jeepneys! but, wow, that is one mighty strong horse!
@hereandthere We saw whole families on bikes in Thailand. Once I think there were four on the bike and a baby being carried to the side in a bucket!
How did they get up there ? I think first of all what the person might want or really need before choosing the gift.
They probably stood the pony next to a log or something to make it easier or they stood on an upturned bucket.
@aureliah (18373)
• Kenya
When I'm buying gifts, I tend to focus on what someone likes
That's the best way to go about it.
Sometimes especially when it's a gift I'd give to someone I personally don't know but just have to give a present. But if it's someone that I know, I would usually buy things that I think they'd like. But for my nephews and nieces, I'd buy things that I believe I would like and they would like.
I find buying for young people hard. I'm out of touch with all the fads and fashions and some are very particular about what they like and don't like.
@JudyEv That's true. I always try to keep up with what's in with the young ones. I don't want to be left behind.
@toniganzon I'm too old now to ever catch up but it is different for you. It's a good idea to at least try to keep in touch with what is 'hip'.
The things I bought, I often found I liked them, and thought they would too, so yes, I've done it. Then there are those things I bought based on what they liked, or thought they would like, but knew I didn't like them. Mostly because I didn't have an interest in the activity, but knew they did. A school pony is an interesting way to get to school.
It seems harder to buy something for someone when you don't like it yourself even though you know the recipient will like it.
@JudyEv Personally, I hate camping. But I knew that the couple I bought a present for liked it, and bought them a campfire popcorn popper. I haven't seen one since.
@just4him That's a really thoughtful gift. I bought my Mum several small gifts once including a little chain which held her glasses round her neck and she was most thrilled with the chain.
@Plethos (10803)
i buy gifts that are specific to the person.
That's much the best. Do you have stuff you hope people will buy you? Or do you get mostly socks and jocks?
@Plethos (10803)
@JudyEv - i dont wear jocks so no worries there . and socks, no one ever sees mine anyways, i always wear pants.i mostly get starbucks gift cards, or something to do with my love for comic book related collectibles, hot wheels and my sports teams
@Plethos I don't know too many guys who don't wear jocks - not that I'd know I guess - but my father and brother never did. I think when they were alive - born in 1914 and 1938 - jocks were considered an expense you didn't need.
I think we all do, we tend to buy things that we like even if not always the receiver will appreciate. Aging I always ask people to make a list of things they would like to receive and I pick up something. I like this photo Judy.
Thanks. I also try to take note if I talk to people of things that they admire or say that they like. Then I just have to remember what it is they said!
@JudyEv When my niece mentions something she likes, I write it down in my agenda. Everything she likes, I usually dislike.
@LadyDuck We are like that with most young people. They seem to have really weird tastes sometimes.
• Uzbekistan
Did all families have a 'school-pony' then if they lived far away from school?
My brother had a bike but when they were smaller my mother drove them back and forth to school in a horse and sulky. 'Real' horse-power was all the go in those days (1940s) and many would have ridden to school. If there were several children a horse and cart was more usual. Here is the three of us in the sulky.
• Uzbekistan
@JudyEv I started school in 1950. I walked on foot for about a quarter of an hour. There was hardly any traffic. In post-war Germany, private cars were a rarity.
@MALUSE Some children in Australia would have a long walk too.
@valmnz (12744)
• New Zealand
LOL, yes I'm inclined to think that if I like it others close to me will like it as well
That was always my feeling too but eventually I woke up to the fact that perhaps not everyone shared my taste. I am so dumb sometimes.
@valmnz (12744)
• New Zealand
I put a lot of thought into the gifts I give. Cute photo!
I do too but when it comes to young people I really have no idea what they'd like.
@JudyEv I've learned. Lol!
I must be honest here. I have always thought of what the recipient would be interested in pr would need. .To give you an example I gave my sister (years ago) a tea set as I noticed what she had was time for her to consign to the dust bin (lol)
Are you saying she trashed your tea set? Some presents I haven't kept for ever and ever but I make sure the donor never finds out I've given their gift away.
@JudyEv I said it was time for her to consign HER tea set to the bin
@mlgen1037 (29626)
• Manila, Philippines
I usually give a simple gift, an accessory or anything that they can use on a daily basis.
I think they are the best sort of gift. I like gifts to be useful or functional.
@mlgen1037 (29626)
• Manila, Philippines
@JudyEv Thank you, Judy. Nowadays, it is better to give something that we can really use rather than something expensive but only for display or can be use for a short time.
@Shiva49 (13961)
I do not often get gifts and, likewise, do not give too. My wife does often and we have a lot of those that we do not know what to do. Normally they are recycled - we get from some and we give to others! They can end up going back to the one who started the ball rolling! Nice photo - window to the throwback days! siva
Glad you like the photo. Do people get upset if you don't keep their gift?
@Shiva49 (13961)
@JudyEv I think people generally know most do not retain them especially when they have issues of space and have similar items already with them - siva
@wolfgirl569 (9949)
• Marion, Ohio
I try to learn what the person likes but it is easy to say that would be nice when it is something you like
You sort of need to like it too don't you?
• Marion, Ohio
@JudyEv Yes a little.
@Morleyhunt (20670)
I think we are all guilty of that. We have our own filter of what might be an appropriate gift. I often give quilts....I try to choose something that reflects the recipients tastes and needs....but some languish in closets or become dog blankets. This is disappointing of course...but not everyone loves quilts.
I can imagine that most would love to receive a hand-made quilt. I was given one by a friend for my 70th birthday and I treasure it. I know how much work goes into these things.
@Morleyhunt (20670)
@JudyEv very nice. There are some who have no appreciation of the time and work that goes into making a quilt.
Thats a great photo and cute that all three kids rode the pony to school. I do tend to buy gifts with the person in mind but also what I'd like. My Aunt has a birthday in June and I saw this really pretty necklace so I bought it for her. I don't know if she even wears this type of jewelry but I hope she likes it cause I did
Once again I've confused you. Only my sister rode the pony. My brother rode a bike. They all piled on the pony just for the photo.