A Different Bird!

@Morleyhunt (21472)
On the weekend I was walking along the New Brunswick trail when a bird caught my eye. A flash of red....no, not a cardinal, so what was it? The bird kept hiding behind a branch, so I could not get a photo (I tried) that I could use. When I arrived home, I intended to research the bird, but got sidetracked and forgot......it was sort of like a Baltimore Oriole, but much more red....but it also had black and grey.... Tonight, I remembered, and goggled, red birds, New Brunswick. It only took me a moment to choose which photo matched my sighting. A Pine Grosbeak....that's one I hadn't seen before.
I find it quite exciting when a new bird comes to our birdbath. Sometimes it's hard to work out what type it is.
@Morleyhunt (21472)
Living in a new region, I'm sure I will see other birds I have trouble identifying.
@Fleura (7373)
@Morleyhunt It's always exciting to spot something new - and there always is something new to see if you keep looking!
@Morleyhunt (21472)
@Fleura and this morning I learned that the bears are also nearby. So far I've seen a porcupine, a bobcat and a couple of deer,
@Plethos (11632)
its migrations season. im sure the recent weather patterns is having them fly through areas they have never been through.
@Morleyhunt (21472)
I've just recently moved here....they might be here all the time.....
@Plethos (11632)
@Morleyhunt - a-ha! so youre the lost migrator!
@Morleyhunt (21472)
@Plethos the bird is where it belongs...I'm settling in and becoming familiar with my new environment.
This is a cute bird, I do not believe we have those birds locally.
@Morleyhunt (21472)
The chart says they are rarely found in Europe. Even this one was closer to its southern reach in Canada.
@Morleyhunt It is a shame I have never seen one, those are beautiful birds.
@YrNemo (14768)
A very pretty bird, I like colorful birds in whatever forms and shapes. Now and then I see a very tiny bluish bird with a very long tail, but however I tried, I just couldn't take its pic.
@Morleyhunt (21472)
The day the truck was loaded I saw my first bluebird of the season. I wonder if I'll see them here?
@YrNemo (14768)
@Morleyhunt Oh, do please let us know if you could see that type of birds (or others, the colorful ones).
Living this close to the river I see many more types of birds than I did in the city. That is one pretty bird.
@Morleyhunt (21472)
It was very pretty, and the flash of red drew my eye immediately.
What a really pretty bird it is too.
@Morleyhunt (21472)
That's the fun of moving to a new area. Everything is a bit different....even the birds.
That is very cool. I've lived in New Brunswick all my life and I have never seen one.
@Morleyhunt It is a very pretty bird.
@Morleyhunt (21472)
That it was"
@Morleyhunt When you said it was does that mean that the bird is gone now?
@Morleyhunt (21472)
@Hannihar I saw the bird while walking the trails. I haven't seen it since. I have seen other varieties.
@yukimori (9092)
They look similar to a variety of sparrow we have here, at least in terms of coloration. I scared off a couple of our Gambel's quail this afternoon when we went out to the car. Normally they just run off, but we must have given them a pretty good fright because they took off flying over the neighbor's house.
@Morleyhunt (21472)
They are bigger then the sparrows. The purple finches are a lot smaller. This bird was at least as big as a cardinal if not a bit bigger..
@Starmaiden (7636)
They do inhabit coniferous forests, but they are normally found in the northern regions of Canada, Newfoundland and the mountains.
@Morleyhunt (21472)
This was the first one I had ever seen. It was in the pine tree on the edge of the trail. Just a hope skip and a jump from Baie Verte which empties into the Northumberland Strait.
A fine shot. I don't know that bird.
@Morleyhunt (21472)
Found the photo on line. The bird wouldn't give me a clear shot...it kept ducking behind the branch.
@franxav (5842)
It certainly is a beautiful bird.
@Morleyhunt (21472)
It was a very pretty bird, if a bit shy.
It's a beautiful bird.
@Fleura (7373)
At first glance, it reminded me a lot of the Scottish crossbill I wondered if they are related, but it seems they are not closely related although both are types of finch.
https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/crossbill
@aureliah (19453)
• Kenya
The beautiful bird was trying to play a game with you
• Eugene, Oregon
Beautiful photo of a bird I have never seen!
@AKRao24 (21433)
You are very lucky to get to see such a beautiful and strange bird for you! I am happy to know that after the research you could make it out that it was a Pine Grosbeak! The bird looks very beautiful, that was your and our bad luck that you couldn't take a picture to upload here! Thanks @Morleyhunt!