Give yourself a little love...

They say that when you become a mother, you become selfless. Your world revolves around your children, they become your priority, and you tend to neglect yourself. When I became a mother, I totally abandoned taking care of myself. I didn't care about my physical appearance, my personal needs and wants. It was all about my son, until my favorite cousin who's also my best bud who happens to be a nun came to visit. She told me this: never ever neglect yourself just because you are a mother now. Get a facial, try to look beautiful again, and give yourself some pleasure. Even us nuns do that! What she told me woke me up from my slumber. This discussion is supposed to be a Labor Day discussion but I'm a day late since it's the 2nd of May here. Labor Day isn't only a celebration of our dear workers but it's a celebration of motherhood as well. The labor we went through delivering our babies, taking care of our family, and all those things only a mother could really do. So as a Labor Day gift, I got myself a Charriol Mouni bangle.
@1hopefulman (32406)
Yes, a mother sacrifices so much taking care of her children but there is no need to neglect herself. She needs to look good too and feel good!
So true. When my son was in grade school, I asked him if he would like me to get fat like most mothers here. And he said no. I want you to stay beautiful.
@1hopefulman (32406)
@toniganzon He is very wise. He didn't say that he wanted you to be beautiful but to stay beautiful.
@1hopefulman He's very honest.
That's a lovely bangle. And I think if you don't take at least some care of yourself, others will miss out too. Your cousin is very wise.
Yes she's a very wise nun and I love her.
I like Charriol jewels, this bangle is very nice. I was looking at a Charriol ring last Friday in the Mall, it has small hearts like your bangle.
Must be from the Mouni collection. I like the hearts one. So feminine.
@toniganzon Yes, it is from the Mouni collection. Charriol is Swiss.
@LadyDuck Yes it is. So I want to buy their watch as well.
@rakski (21910)
Oh wow! But you are right. We should never neglect ourselves. Nice gift to yourself! I bought a wedge shoes for me last week. It has been a long while since I wear those kind. Actually I have not worn such shoes when I started being a mom
Thats' good to know. Wedges are more comfortable than stilettos.
@rakski (21910)
@toniganzon Oh yes. I never wear stilletos. Not good for my feet. Also, in wedges I can still run and have fun
@rakski Yeah I do that in wedges too but I hardly wear them because I would be way taller than my husband if I did. I usually wear flat shoes.
Even being a mother you need to take care of yourself so you can take care of your family
That is so true. That's why I never forget myself anymore.
@toniganzon Good for you.
@Freelanzer (9499)
I always consider being a parent one of the toughest jobs and I know many who prefer to work rather than stay home with their kids. I worked while my kids were growing up so I had two jobs plus I always ran a small business on the side. So yes Labor Day is for parents too,
My son grew up seeing me work all the time. He knows how much I sacrificed just to give him the comfort he's enjoying now. As a parent, there's nothing we wouldn't do for our kids, but we must never forget ourselves.
@YrNemo (14703)
. I didn't wear any lipstick or earrings or rings or any jewelry whenever my child at the time was under one year old, just in case I hurt the toddler. Those kids at one year old plus, were a bit surprised looking at a slightly different mom.
I never wore like that when my son was a baby too. But he's 14 now. I deserve to have all the jewelries I love to wear.
@hereandthere (32754)
love the heart design. yeah, i remember you said your son told you you don't look like his classmates' mothers. how interesting that your wake-up call came from a nun, yet it's so true and applies to everyone.
Right. My son was just 3 months old when my cousin told me that.
• Trinidad And Tobago
I often admire women who continue to take car of their health and appearance. good for you. That cousin was timely.
Yes, my son was three months old when she told me that. Now my son is are lady 14.
• Trinidad And Tobago
@toniganzon And have you been taking care of yourself?
@Gita17112016 What do you think? I take my diamond peel facial every two weeks. I go for bikini and underarm wax once a month. I buy my things expensive things like jewelries and watches. I relax when I have to by visiting a spa.
@aureliah (18380)
• Kenya
This is very true as I always put my son first
Yes, but we have to take care of ourselves too.
@aureliah (18380)
• Kenya
@toniganzon Very true
Oh, my mom had sacrifice a lot and makes me happy now that she spent most of the time hanging out in places with her friends.
That's good to know. I have made a lot of sacrifices for my son and even until now but I see to it that I don't neglect my own personal happiness and needs.
I've never believed mothers were selfless. because all the mothers I knew, who did everything for their kids, still did small things for themselves. even if it was just a bath, or watching a movie when kids went to bed, or had dinner be what they wanted. anything that would make them not just mom. Glad your cousin helped you do things for you.
That's weird. Most of the mothers I know are really selfless here. I think I just see being selfless different than you. But my cousin who used to buy only for herself stopped doing that when she became a mother. That's being selfless to me.
@toniganzon but you can be "selfless", and still make time for you when kids are sleeping or at school, etc. Is what I meant by not believing in selflessness. I guess. As noone JUST does for their kids. Ever.
@toniganzon dont have to be a stay at home mom to still have time for you. People do it all the time
@zarlamain (24885)
You have such beautiful taste. I will have to check that brand out. The bangle is so beautiful. You did great! You are a woman before you are a mother. Your cousin is so right. When I read that your cousin is your best friend, I had to completely agree. I have two cousins who are the same age as me who are my best friends. They are incredible.
She's 2 years older than me but when were kids we were always together every single day. We're almost the same size then too. So when my mom bought clothes for me, she would buy the same exact thing for her. Sometimes people thought we were twins.
@zarlamain (24885)
@toniganzon I know what you mean! My two cousins and I practically grew up together even though we lived in different neighborhoods and attended different schools. My parents had a hectic schedule, so my aunts and uncles would pick me up and allow me to play with my cousins until my parents came back to pick me up. We still hang out, but those were the days we were practically siblings. That is so cute! I love that! I often swap clothes with them because we have similar tastes and we also wear the same size! It's amazing!
@zarlamain When we were really young my cousin wanted to be me and I wanted to be her. She loved and admired my parents too much she wanted to be me. So we did this silly thing. We took a plate and spat on it. She swallowed my saliva and I did hers too. See how crazy we were? Thinking about that now it's just yuck!
We mothers will do anything for our children. I neglected myself when our first son was a baby, until I modeled in a charity fundraiser. I was given a makeover - hair, makeup, and clothes. That was an eye opener. My husband prefers to be the one to buy me jewelry. Enjoy yours. You deserve it.
My husband doesn't know anything about jewelries hahaha! So he would never do that for me. I just buy my own and I could choose whatever brand I want as well. A person who has never been a mother would never understand what it is to be selfless. The moment I set my eyes on my son, I have totally forgotten about myself. I didn't even wear makeup at all. He was 3 months old when my cousin told me I should take care of myself too.
@toniganzon My husband knows his jewelry, and if I see something I like, like David Yurman, I drop hints. All I have to say is. "Oooo, that's so pretty. I love it!" and it appears. He once yelled at me for buying my own anniversary gift of pearls years ago. My son was about 2 when I rediscovered myself. I got pregnant again shortly thereafter and haven't looked back. Your cousin was so right!
@DianneN My husband would never take a hint. He's just into cycling and those are the things he just know. I only have one son and not get pregnant again. I wish to have another baby though. A daughter would be great.
Yes, Toni. We may be so busy giving our children what they need and want, but we shouldn't neglect ourselves. We have to give ourselves something that can make us happy and proud. So, that one is indeed a nice gift to yourself.
Yes it is. Now I just wonder to whom i'l be giving all my jewelries and watches when I die. I don't want to give it to my son's wife someday,
@toniganzon Toni, don't think of that yet. You are still so young. Just enjoy it now until you decide to give it to me.
@toniganzon You are all girls also? So, where are the two now?
@anikoonline (3259)
• Hungary
Your cousin is right, neglecting yourself is never good. And the bangle looks amazing,
Yes it's really pretty. Now I just want to buy more and their watch too.
• Hungary
@toniganzon Keep me informed if you buy something else.
@anikoonline Will try to.
@caopaopao (12512)
Yeah as a mother, sometimes we should spare some time for ourselves. If we try, we can take good care of our family, also ourselves.
We should never neglect that.
@caopaopao (12512)
@august18 (4030)
• Tunisia
You bangle is really chic.
Everything that's from Charriol are. They're really pretty and the quality is really great you could pass it on to your grandchildren someday.
I really liked this one. You are right . A mother is selfless infront of her children.
Thanks. That's why we shouldn't forget our moms and their sacrifices.
@quantum2020 (9882)
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
It´s good to take care of the children because that´s a responsibility but it´s always good to take care of oneself, that´s important for the children too
Indeed, but most mothers feel guilty when doing so.