Railway Crossing Accidents How Common Are They?

@AKRao24 (21173)
In the recent railway crossing accident occurred in India, when the news was aired, it was mentioned that in Japan they have never had a ‘Railway Crossing’ accident since last 52 years! This is because of the system what they have there! The technology is so perfect that there are zero chances of committing a mistake. In fact everything pertaining to the railway crossing is automatically monitored by the computers in Japan! India is one of the countries where these accidents happen very frequently making the people believe that life is uncertain for them! (Reasons, I will quote in another discussion). I know many advanced countries of the World are also facing this trouble despite they are quite rich economically! May I know, how frequently these Railway Accidents takes place in the Country where you live? Please respond! Your responses will be appreciated as usual! Thanks!
@mandala100 (50475)
@AKRao24 I remember last October 2017 there was an MTR train car that derails and damages a staircase at Chai Wan depot my friend and it's good that no one was injured.
@AKRao24 (21173)
But I think such accidents must not be very common there dear @mandala100? Thanks!
@mandala100 (50475)
@AKRao24 Yes my friend only once in a while my friend.
@AKRao24 (21173)
@mandala100 , That is nice to know! You people are lucky to live in such country! Thanks!
@mlgen1037 (29626)
• Manila, Philippines
Hi Akrao. Well, our railway system just sucks big time. And it has accidents everyday.
@AKRao24 (21173)
So sad to know...India is also facing these problems! Thanks @mlgen1037 ! Stay blessed!
@mlgen1037 (29626)
• Manila, Philippines
@AKRao24 Yes, indeed. I wish the government will do something about it. Thank you, Akrao. You too.
@ptrikha_2 (10202)
@mlgen1037 Are your authorities doing anything to tackle the problem of such crossings?
In the USA, there are about 5,800 train-car crashes each year, most of which occur at railroad crossings. These accidents cause 600 deaths and injure about 2,300.
@AKRao24 (21173)
The figures are quite disturbing @Corbin5 ! I thought being a developed country US must be having a fool proof method for the safe guard of people at the Railway Crossings! Thanks!
@nanette64 (17934)
• Fairfield, Texas
And that's because the dumb-a**es aren't paying attention @Corbin5 .
@nanette64 They are looking at their cell phones. My sister commuted to the city of Chicago from our suburb for work, and she told me they would announce to all passengers "Please stop walking in front of trains."
@ridingbet (59428)
i sometimes read in the news about how overcrowded are the trains there in India.
@AKRao24 (21173)
India is a densely populated country and we have lot of travelers on daily basis because of which the trains are over crowded. But the during some special occasions or events people even travel on the roofs of the train which is very bad and because of lack of the staff to control the mob this thing can't be prevented which normally seen in small stations! Thanks @ridingbet (44948)!
@ridingbet (59428)
@AKRao24 yes i also see and watch some series on TV about how populated India is. i would sometimes get scared when the trains travel fast and there are women and children apart from men who ride on top of the trains.
@AKRao24 (21173)
@ridingbet , Unfortunately these are ones who are vulnerable and get killed in accidents as they are not frequent travelers and they climb the train by looking at others without knowing the consequences! Very pathetic! Thanks!
They happen from time to time here but I don't know how frequently it is. Mostly we have flashing lights and boom gates at crossings but that doesn't stop all accidents.
@AKRao24 (21173)
Despite having the gates and signal systems at the railway crossing, if still the accidents are happening, that means,,,is is the failure of system or it is because of the negligence of the people @JudyEv ? Thanks!
@AKRao24 Half the time it's just people thinking they can beat the train then they find they can't - but when that happens there isn't usually a boom gate - just lights and perhaps bells.
@AKRao24 (21173)
@JudyEv , Yes, most of the times it is people's over confidence at the unmanned gates lead to such accidents! Thanks!
@aureliah (18467)
• Kenya
I have seen so many railway accidents happen in India. Here in Kenya its rare probably because we have limited trains.
@AKRao24 (21173)
Ok, possibly it is the less frequency of the trains running you must be having less accidents! Thanks dear friend for responding @aureliah!
@aureliah (18467)
• Kenya
@FayeHazel (19863)
That is great about Japan. I'm not sure what the statistic is here, presently. My dad lost his favorite cousin that way - to a rail accident. :-(
@AKRao24 (21173)
That is so sad to know about it @FayeHazel ! Thanks for responding!
@FayeHazel (19863)
@AKRao24 Thanks for the thought
@Aquitaine24 (1468)
• San Jose, California
For one thing,people need to get off their phones when they drive
@AKRao24 (21173)
That is very true, we have lot of accidents because of the mobile phones that are being used while driving!
@kepweng (18606)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
do you Drive while Drunk??
I read about the number of railway accidents in India. It was startling. They certainly happen in America, but most of them are due to human error. Like an engineer is not paying attention and goes too fast. Or, as in one case, a woman pulled out in front of a train, and caused an explosion.
@AKRao24 (21173)
Yes, the accidents always happen because of human error only! May that be then the human responsible in the system or traveling on the road! The machines they can't think themselves...after all they are needed to be controlled by the human beings only! Thanks for responding @AmbiePam !
@Sreekala (23718)
In India it is due to negligence. Many railway crossings are left behind without a guard or proper protection. So vehicles are free to pass without checking the possibility of arrival on any train.
@AKRao24 (21173)
Yes, I agree that with over confidence the drivers try to cross these unmanned railway tracks without looking for any possible train that can pass. But then in the Railway crossings where they have provided gate, signals and other things people are trying to cross the tracks despite having closed gates till the train passes the crossing causng accidents! Thanks @Sreekala for responding!
@iridion9 (10105)
In that case we should copy the technology from Japan.
@AKRao24 (21173)
Yes, Indeed! India is trying to do the same thing but it looks it is quite an expensive thing for India as we are having very big Railway net work in the country! Thanks @iridion9 !
@rakski (22013)
Every now and then. Accidents like these happened here also but many times the fault is with the peoplw drihing the vehicle and also some faulty old and worn technology. I agree with you, Japan has a very good technology there
@AKRao24 (21173)
Yes, I understand that, most of the times it is the fault of people for such accidents and I agree the old systems may get faulty and may not work properly to confuse the people which can lead to accidents! Thanks @rakski!
@Starmaiden (7643)
National railway accidents rarely ever occur in Canada, but there are subway accidents more often. These are caused by people throwing themselves in front of the train.
@AKRao24 (21173)
That is so sad to know dear @Starmaiden , though these things are seen almost everywhere in the World! Thanks!
@ptrikha_2 (10202)
We have so much population and still so many unmanned crossings. Why not hire more people on contract and get them to man these crossings and why we are still lacking in technology? Is it because the funds go to fill the pockets of a few?