Up, Up and Away.

image from pexels.
Six things I dislike about airports and air travel - sometimes I wish that I could travel anywhere by car, train or ship. (1) You cannot get out of a plane in flight if you feel the urge to do so. Unless you plan to sky dive like the couple in the above photo. (2) After packing my belongings neatly in my suitcase, I hate having them tumbled about and searched . (3) I really dislike filling out forms at airports. (4) I think the meals are awful. (5) Two hours into a flight I feel stuffy and stifled -- someone did say a plane is like an air- conditioned coffin. (6) I hate missing a flight and the experience of lost luggage. One Christmas I missed my flight home and was forced to spend Christmas day in a hotel. I would say the best thing I like about flying is that moment when the plane gathers speed , leaves the runway and takes off into the skies - up, up and away. What do you like and dislike about air travel? Any memorable experiences?
You just about covered all the bases. Add long waits and taking off shoes and all that security jazz. Crowded sardine conditions unless you travel first class.
Definitely one of the most annoying - passengers having to take off shoes and socks! I recall a most uncomfortable three hours seated in a middle seat.
• New Baltimore, Michigan
..And the fact that almost all planes crash. (JK) Don't even listen to me
@Melanie_Marie Truth is that flying is the securest means of transportation. I prefer travelling by train, though. Pity that some distances can't be covered in this way.
I get motion sickness unless I am in a window seat. I loved looking out and being on top of the clouds :)
I prefer window seats too.
yes window seats are nice but I think they cost more.
@Mavic123456 (9704)
• Thailand
my trip on an airplane was a success, the food was Great and there were very few passengers so we were able to occupy the 4 seaters at the middle to stretch our back on the trip.
With over twenty years of air travel, I have experienced the good and the bad.
• Thailand
@Kandae11 wow such a long time flyer. Business or pleasure trips? or combination of both¿
@Mavic123456 Job related, shopping - hardly ever for fun.
Mike and I done a lot of flying with no problems.Guess we were lucky
You both like flying I suppose - I don't like it - but it is the only way to get to certain places.
@Kandae11 we have flew many m any times.
lol yeah guess you guys were.
@UncleJoe (9731)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I don't fly but still go to the airport to let TSA molest me. It's the only human tough I get anymore.
For me it is sad going to the airport to see a loved one off, - not like when I go to meet a dear family member or friend who is arriving.
thatys weird is that some kind of a joke
@UncleJoe (9731)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@lnillerman Of course it is.
I love flying, but no, I would never jump out of a plane. The only thing that scares me is a possible crash. There was a time when we connected a flight in Tucson and I had a strange feeling about the flight. The next day I found out the flight we were on had a near miss with another aircraft. That's scary.
You got the feeling that something would go wrong - and it almost did. Scary yes.
@Kandae11 I happened to hear the report about the plane the next day and when I asked my husband about it, he said it was the same plane we had arrived in Chicago on. We had traveled from San Diego to Chicago with a short layover in Tucson. I had that feeling when I boarded in San Diego, and worried about it the whole flight to Chicago. I was happy to hear the plane avoided an accident.
@just4him Maybe the accident was avoided because you were on it.
@Jessabuma (19924)
• Baguio, Philippines
I have never tried to travel through airplanes, I have motion sickness as well..
Have you ever traveled on a boat or ship?
@Jessabuma (19924)
• Baguio, Philippines
@Kandae11 yes, I am from an island so every time we want to go to mainland we ride boat or ship
@Jessabuma So, you get motion sickness then?
I am not a fan of flying. I fear heights so I do not look out the window. Actually, I do not like anything about flying. I find it very cumbersome, time-consuming, and scary.
It is never a joy ride for me .- I have never been on a ten hour flight - and I hope I never have to.
@Kandae11 We were asked to board a later flight due to overbooking or something like that. The airline did provide free dinner for my husband and me, 2 tickets to anywhere in the USA for future use, and first class accommodations on the next flight. I would have rather taken the scheduled flight, but the perks were nice.
@Corbin5 Those were nice perks indeed.
@crossbones27 (19030)
• Redlands, California
Everything hate it all, and that jumping out thing no too. Why jump out of a perfectly good air plane. Makes no sense.
That is for thrill seekers.
• Redlands, California
@Kandae11 Indeed
@caopaopao (6732)
What I don't like most is when the plane takes off and rises into the sky. I feel nauseous. I Iike to take a plane because it is faster and there will not be too much delay on the road.
Many people dislike the take off - but that is the only part I like.
@caopaopao (6732)
@Kandae11 I don't like it because I'm carsick. If you don't get carsick, you'll feel good about it. It's like taking an elevator. I also feel uncomfortable.
@caopaopao I avoid elevators as much as possible. I would take the stairs if it isn't more than seven flights up.
@ptrikha_2 (7902)
Well on long flights I feel as if my body becomes very stiff. Also sometimes you have to hold your bladder as the washroom might night be free. Also, even on some good planes, a bit of turbulence makes me feel a bit sick. There was a plane where I felt so sick that I during stopover at an airport I had a bit of vomit. Yet I do like the ability to travel long distances national or internationally a lot.
I would prefer the option of traveling by train or ship.
@ptrikha_2 (7902)
@Kandae11 but many people talk about sea sickness when travelling by sea.
@YrNemo (11747)
I never like waiting in the airports either for the flight or for friends/relatives. Shops there are so so expensive.
When I am not flying I won't mind the wait for friends or relatives - but waiting before boarding is a bit nerve wracking for me.
@YrNemo (11747)
@Kandae11 I often had to chase after my little kids in the past. Not fun one bit.
• Preston, England
I have enjoyed the few flights I have been on - the airport hassle is less fun though
The most relaxing time for me would be meals time - pity the fare is usually so mediocre.
• Preston, England
@Kandae11 the food on airlines is pretty poor
@aninditasen (1573)
• Raurkela, India
I have never travelled by air.
It is an interesting experience.
• Raurkela, India
@Kandae11 I shall relate whenever I travel by air.
I dislike airports and air travels for all the same reasons. I hated the 12 hours long flight from France to Los Angeles, not to count the two hours you have to be at the airport before the flight. I agree that a plane is an air conditioned coffin.
I don't know if I could stand being on a plane for 12 hours!- I'll be dying to get off after six hours at least.
@Kandae11 It's horrible, I got up time by time to walk a bit, watched a movie, read a book. But it's boring.
@ridingbet (49667)
the last time i flew was last 2009 when i, my mother, and my son attended the wedding of a nephew.
Now that I work for myself and can do things in my own time, I would enjoy traveling by ship.
@ridingbet (49667)
@Kandae11 that is good. the first and last time that i rode on a ship was when we had our rural health practice program (post-nursing) in an island here in 1981. incidentally, i posted a birthday greeting for a colleague and i attached a picture of the 4 of us and the navy men we befriended.
• Eugene, Oregon
Our recent experience of getting very ill after flying home from Texas sitting next to a sick passenger was the worst ever for me. The speed of "getting there," wherever there is the only advantage.
Imagine closed quarters, like traveling on a plane - no fresh air, and a sick passenger next to you? No wonder you got sick.
• Eugene, Oregon
@Kandae11 Yes, it was no fun at all.
I like flying but not being crammed into a seat..the middle seat ugh!
Having to get up every time window seat needs to use the bathroom.
@Kandae11 Yeah, I haven't flown for years..but I was contemplating it on this trip..I couldn't find a decent fare though..besides then I wouldn't have a car when I was up there.
I love everything about flying except getting visas for foreign travel.
It gets you where you are going much faster than a train or a ship.
@Kandae11 Without a doubt!
@nela13 (5950)
• Portugal
If I have an alternative mean of transport I wouldn't fly, I am afraid of flying and everytime I fly it looks like my heart will explode.
I would love to be able to travel everywhere by train, ship or car.
@nela13 (5950)
• Portugal
@Kandae11 The same here