Chemotherapy? --- Bright Colours!

chemotherapy turban beanie
Germany
The other day I was in a department store to look for a new cover for my head as my current Panama hat is on its way to hat heaven. While I was checking the straw hat section, a woman was looking at caps, turbans and beanies. She was in her forties and had shoulder-length wavy brown hair. She put a turban on in a colour which I'd describe as dirt grey. Think of a rag *after* mopping the floor! I'm not an overly chatty person when it comes to strangers. But in this case, I couldn't help myself and said, "Do. not. buy. this. thing! It looks horrible!" She looked at me sadly and said, "It's for chemotherapy." What does one reply when one hears this? I decided not to begin a chat about her disease, that seemed too intimate to me. Instead, I said, "The more so you should look for a bright and lively colour." She smiled at me and fetched a blue specimen. Unfortunately, that was all the shop had on offer. But I encouraged her to take it. It was definitely better than the grey thing. She gave me the impression that I had helped her in a way. I couldn't go on chatting with her because I had to go to the train station. At home, I checked on google if there were nice looking turbans for people who have to undergo chemotherapy. I'll never see this woman again but maybe I can reach other women with this post who are in the same situation. I wrote "chemotherapy turban beanie" into the amazon search box and found 20 (!) pages full of all kinds of headwear to cover a bald head - from boring ones of the rag, floor-mopping type to good-looking and stylish ones in all colours imaginable. (There are also chemo beanies for men. I haven't dealt with them here.) I'm adding the link for whom it may concern. I do hope that it doesn't concern anyone, of course. Yet, should it be the case, don't despair and dress as if all is lost right from the beginning. The turbans aren't very expensive, so it's advisable to buy several for different styles of dressing. If cancer has struck, you must do everything possible to cheer yourself up. Bright* colours! ----- *Not like the ones in the photo! I couldn't find a better one which I could include here. -----
Amazon.com: chemo beanies for women
The American Cancer Association sends beanies and the like at very reasonable prices all over the world. I know it because I bought several things there. They also have wigs (artificial hair but very good price too) and other things for other needs.
Being me and trying to cheer up Tony while he was on chemo and bald I often asked him did he want me to buy him one of those wigs.
Tony wore his hat, like always when his hair fell out from chemo, but ya know the cancer treatment center offers free head covers, from cold weather cover to hot. Someone makes the beanies and leaves them in the waiting rooms in all colors, pastels, a note inside read " made with love for you" EDIT : My mother wore a wig, I would take it once a week down to the JC Penny`s hair salon to be washed and set.
This is the first time I hear about volunteers who make head covers and donate them. That is a really nice gesture.
@xFiacre (4586)
@maluse My daughter in law went for the bald look during chemo - very unsettling to look at. A stylish turban would have suited her well. Happily she now has a full head of hair again.
@Lolaze (3164)
My friend went through chemo last year. She wore bright winter hats and then colorful bandannas and ones with prints on them when it was warm. She was very lucky that even bald when she was just around the house, she still looked great except for the 2-3 weeks when she was really feeling sick from the chemo. Usually people also knit colorful hats and donate them to doctor’s offices for people going through treatment. As that lady looks, she will end up finding a lot of stylish things. She will also meet other people during chemo who will give her tips. I went to keep my friend company during her chemo sessions quite a few times and it is not doom and gloom in those places. People try to have fun and chat and usually there are good snacks and it’s actually a happy and upbeat place.
@Lolaze That's as it should be!
@Lolaze (3164)
@MALUSE Yep! She dealt with mouth sores throughout most of chemo. I’d force her to eat cupcakes and cookies at her chemo appts to keep her fattened up!
@Lolaze You are a good friend!
I would agree with you on this. My younger sister had a type of cancer surgery that required half her head be shaved. Her care taker did tiny braids all over the other side with beads and hearts for "fun" and to cheer her up.
@GardenGerty Cheering up a cancer patient is vital!
One of my cousin went bald during chemo, she had a couple of very nice looking beanies. Losing the hair is sad enough, why to wear a sad head cover?
This is also my opinion.
@MALUSE You surely helped that woman.
@LadyDuck I do hope so!
we have a group here that knits hats for the cancer patients.They do a great job.Freebie no charge.
That's admirable!
@MALUSE yes it is.There is a knitting group who makes them.Lot of work there.Also crochet
@mlgen1037 (29647)
• Manila, Philippines
I think the woman appreciated your suggestion. I do believe too that even if life takes us down, we should always find a way to lessen the burden and still be optimistic.
That's right. And it's not always a good idea to talk too much to other patients who can pull one down even more.
@mlgen1037 (29647)
• Manila, Philippines
@MALUSE Precisely. I wouldnt want that either. It can be draining.
You were very kind to that poor woman and correct. A friend wore scarves at home and a pretty wig when she went out.
Everything that brightens the days is good in such a situation.
It sounds like you were in the right place at the right time! :)
I hope I could brighten the woman's day a bit.
@Peach10 (1902)
It's so nice that you're doing this.Now I know where to get such colorful turbans. I hope no one in my family will need this.
@pgntwo (21769)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Colours are big business. So many people fail to understand what colours go best with their own natural colouring - this is a long youtube piece, but it's a summary of what can cost you many 10s of euros to get done professionally:
An interesting lesson in color analysis to help you find the best palette of colors to go with your own skintone, eye color and hair color. This system is ol...
Thank you. I know about this. A colleague of mine studied this and then advised people who needed help choosing the right colours.
@pgntwo (21769)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@MALUSE Did you get a free colour consultation? It's surprising what a few simple changes can make to your appearance! And floor-cloth grey probably isn't in the consultant's colour swatches ;-)
@pgntwo I didn't ask for a consultation. I have the impression that I know which colours suit me.
@garymarsh6 (14264)
I agree with what you say despite the grimness of the treatment don't damper your mood further by buying miserable looking things. Wear something nice bright and colourful to brighten your mood.
I'm glad you see things in the same way as I do.
@garymarsh6 (14264)
@MALUSE It's a state of mind rather than being all doom and gloom! You certainly need something to cheer you up in such a situation!
Your response to her was just the response she needed. I do hope this post reaches some who may be in need of a "bright and lively color."
The people at the hospital where the patients get chemotherapy should give this advice.
@MALUSE I agree.
You're showing your kind, sensitive side here Maluse. As you say, people in that situation need bright colours.
Thank you for your friendly words.
I'm sure that she appreciated you pointing out the blue one
Pity that there weren't more bright ones on offer.
@MALUSE yes, they should offer more options
@epiffanie (10412)
I agree with you.. It's better to have bright colours head covers..
Looking like a mouse doesn't raise a patient's spirits! :-)
@epiffanie (10412)
@MALUSE yes.. bright colours help with the healing process..
• Nairobi, Kenya
I think black is the only color that is not bright. hehe
All shades of grey and brown aren't bright, either.
They're putting it one style and different colors now. At least they're making hats lively.
I'd definitely choose the brightly colored ones over the bland ones.