It was an interview from hell

@AlisaTR (1011)
Hollywood, Florida
I burst into tears today... right there in my job interview. Yep. It was dehumanizing... I wished I could just melt into a puddle and float away. I wished I could disappear... at least shrink to the size of an ant or something. I wished the earth could open up and swallow me whole. I wished I could have been that three time lottery winner so that I wouldn't have to do this. I kicked myself mentally several times, with imaginary steel-tipped boots... so that my soul, if not my body, was battered and bruised. I cried on my job interview today. I told myself not to. But the more I tried to force the tears back, the more they defied me... the more I tried to blink them back, the more they spilled past my lashes. See, I made a conscious decision to reenter the job market today after a bold move to make it on my own. I was pumped for this interview, I felt that I had the skills that were necessary to help this business to grow. I was certain that I could be an asset to them and I saw there were immense growth opportunities for me too. But then... the interview. Now, I am usually a very upbeat person. I like to see the silver lining in everything, I like to take learning experiences from everyone I meet and every situation I am in. And if a situation arises where we have opposing points of view, I like to listen to understand your point of view and to learn from that discourse. But, ultimately, I believe in human empathy and emotional intelligence... and the critical importance of people skills. And I think these skills are necessary in any place of work, certainly from an interviewing officer. I was therefore stunned out of my wits today when the interviewer in this marketing job I applied for stopped me mid-sentence to say, "I don't care. I don't know you and I don't care. I don't care about anything you have to say. I am not interested." And then he went on to expand to explain to me why I held no value. I wanted to scream. But I forced myself to nod and smile. I wanted to tell him to jump from a train. But instead, I massaged his ego and told him how very smart he was, and how much I was learning about his business focus and my worth, as in fact I was learning. I wanted to look him in the eye and tell him to keep his stupid job and to walk out with my head high. But, see, I needed that job. And so... even as I struggled to keep my tears at bay, they refused to be held. They dripped past my lashes and flowed down my cheeks. And he saw. He saw that I was not being genuine. He saw that I really thought he was an idiot (myLot wouldn't let me use the A word for donkey so idiot would suffice). Today was a not so good day, but I am still reaching for that positive energy. And I am still going to channel it despite that encounter. I am still going to believe in a world of good and caring and genuine people. And despite what that interviewer said (incidentally I landed the job) I know I am worth my weight in gold. This evening will be better.
do not let this bother you.Keep moving forward there.We all been there.
@AlisaTR (1011)
• Hollywood, Florida
Yup! I'm pushing on through. It takes all kinds, right? How else would life be interesting? Besides, he probably had a bad day or something...
@AlisaTR everyone goes through this.But do not or ever give it up
@AlisaTR (1011)
• Hollywood, Florida
@amadeo I won't
My goodness - I think I would have walked out if anyone had spoken to me like that.
@AlisaTR (1011)
• Hollywood, Florida
God knows I wanted to. But I stuck it out. I just kept whispering to myself "grace, grace, grace, grace"... but then the tears came so... so much for grace eh?
Through all that you still got the job. I am so happy for you.
@AlisaTR (1011)
• Hollywood, Florida
Thanks @popciclecold... though I hardly feel like celebrating. The entire experience just makes me sick
@AlisaTR Yeah, but the important thing is that you landed job. The interview is over.
@AlisaTR (1011)
• Hollywood, Florida
@popciclecold Very true
@nomus24g (21368)
well...once I was kept waiting for an interview because the boss was stuck in a meeting...I waited 15ins - 30 mins - 45 mins - 60 mins and then I walked away....if he doesnt value my time, why should I...later I got a better offer from another company ....so yes, its not the end of the world...remain positive!!!
@AlisaTR (1011)
• Hollywood, Florida
Some people though. Like why couldn't he just reschedule? I'm glad you got something better. I'm putting out into the universe that I will too.
@nomus24g (21368)
@AlisaTR that's because he thought he is Boss and has power...he might be boss within those four walls, not boss of my life....
That's great that you got the job anyway. And screw him! (not really obviously)
@AlisaTR (1011)
• Hollywood, Florida
Thanks @NJChicaa
I am very emotional as well and I would have cried. However, you are valuable in God's eyes so don't forget that. Heaven paid a HIGH price for us with Jesus' blood so we are worth more than gold! Maybe it was a bad day for him too and he lashed out at you-not nice still but he needs prayers for sure.
@AlisaTR (1011)
• Hollywood, Florida
I agree with you @LovingMyBabies in that he certainly needs prayers.
@bagarad (11394)
• Paso Robles, California
What a great piece of writing! I felt like I was sitting beside you in that interview, feeling what you felt. I'm glad in spite of all the emotional agony, you got the job. But I hope that person isn't your boss now. I can't even imagine how hard he would be to work for!
@AlisaTR (1011)
• Hollywood, Florida
Oh no, he isn't. He would have been had I taken up the job. He would have been my immediate supervisor. But some of the things he said was a bit too much to swallow- I didn't put it all down. And after thinking about it overnight, I decided to withdraw interest and hold out a bit for another. Incidentally, I did get another offer the following day.
@AlisaTR (1011)
• Hollywood, Florida
And thanks for the compliment about the writing @bagarad
@bagarad (11394)
• Paso Robles, California
@AlisaTR I'm glad you didn't have to work for him. I think he would have been the boss from hell.
@aureliah (13733)
Do not take this personally. I believe anybody else would have been treated like that. You know yourself and you know that you are valuable. Let no one make you lose your self-esteem
@AlisaTR (1011)
• Hollywood, Florida
True, It was a downer yesterday, I admit. No matter how I tried to see the brighter side of things. But I'm better today though. And I have decided that I am not going to take the job. I didn't leave my last job to reduce myself to this one. I know that I am worth way more.
@aureliah (13733)
@AlisaTR With time you will forget all this, look back and laugh at yourself. Don't feel like you are worth less
@AlisaTR (1011)
• Hollywood, Florida
@aureliah I know... I am already trying to laugh at it. Still unsettled a bit, but it's not as upsetting as it initially was.
@morgoodie (851)
Wow I can't believe that someone doing an interview would stop you and tell you he doesn't care. I am not sure that I would have stayed till the end no matter how much I needed a job. I wouldn't have remained calm either. I commend your ability to restrain yourself. He obviously needs a few more people skills. I hope your evening goes much better.
@AlisaTR (1011)
• Hollywood, Florida
A few more people skills? The man needs rewiring or something. I swear it was twice as terrible as I wrote. I do not even have the skill to describe how bad it was. Picture this, I was always taught that if you enter a man's office, you do not sit unless invited to do so... For the entire time, I stood while he sat or rather sprawled. Now, I need the job, and I take pride in my work, so I will work my butt off for the company while I am there (if I can last more than a day... I'll tell you guys tomorrow if it turns out to be a hire and fire situation). I am still looking for another job though. Maybe myLot would hire me.
@AlisaTR (1011)
• Hollywood, Florida
@yukimori "run like your tampon string is on fire" I honestly haven't laughed like this all day.
@RubyHawk (21495)
• Atlanta, Georgia
We must look over a lot of stupid people in this life. I've worked with a few of them. We have to to earn a living.
@AlisaTR (1011)
• Hollywood, Florida
True, but this dude was just too much.
@RubyHawk (21495)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@AlisaTR Some are hard to stomach.
@Icydoll (13169)
sorry to hear that. hope things get better for you.. always be positive my dear friend
@AlisaTR (1011)
• Hollywood, Florida
For sure @Icydoll.
@rakski (8338)
Keep going. These people are put there to test you. Be strong. I know you can do it! You can find aa much better opportubity
@AlisaTR (1011)
• Hollywood, Florida
Thanks @rakski
@FourWalls (12882)
If that happened in a job interview, be thankful you don’t work there. Imagine how they treat the people who DO work for them. I would also be contacting the general managers or owner of the business.....or at least a local news station.
@AlisaTR (1011)
• Hollywood, Florida
Right now I am just upset with myself for allowing the interview to continue. Maybe I should have walked. Very few things in life are ever worth your dignity, I don't think. Certainly not a job.
@iridion9 (6148)
99% perspiration one percent success. And the title of the job?
@AlisaTR (1011)
• Hollywood, Florida
Marketing Associate
@Plethos (9550)
i can tell hes the kind of boss that only hires people that he percieves as weak, be very cautious. dont let him take advantage of you. get your experience, stick it out, and when you think of quitting, have another job lined up to go to.
@AlisaTR (1011)
• Hollywood, Florida
It's the experience and the opportunities for growth and, of course, the need that kept me standing...
@maximax8 (27334)
Goodness me what a stupid interviewer. He was very rude to you and am sure his words shocked you. I would have walked out if an interviewer had said that to me. I know that you need a job so be very careful if you do work for that person. I very much hope that it works out for you.
@AlisaTR (1011)
• Hollywood, Florida
I am actually sitting and discussing it with my husband. I mean the job is important and everything, and I don't want to lose this bird in the hand that I've found especially since I was so unwise with the other... but at the same time. Wow! There's a lot of thought going into this one.
@lnillerman (1929)
sorry to hear that. hope things get better for you. I'm sure you'll find your dream job
@AlisaTR (1011)
• Hollywood, Florida
Thanks @lnillerman I believe that I will. This is just a stepping stone to my big day!