Silence is golden ?

pixabay image
Do you think before you speak? When is silence golden - and when is it not? I cannot remain silent and say it is none of my business if I see another human being or an animal being abused. I would however hesitate to get involved in marital or boyfriend/ girlfriend disputes - especially when the fighting couple are friends of mine. After they kiss and make up I could be left out in the cold - I know, it has happened to me. Silence is not always golden - what would make you speak up , and what would make you hold your tongue?
silent I do not think so.I will do something about this.Too much of this is going on.Need to be stopped
I would help when I could - all depends on the circumstances.
believe me keeping your mouth shut is a really good thing. I learned that myself a long time ago.
I also cannot stay silent if I assist to an abuse. If wife and husband are arguing, that is the moment who stay silent.
In some countries one could face the courts if it is proven that you knew of a child being abused and didn't report it.
@Kandae11 It is the case here and it is the same for what concerns animals. You can bet that I call the police.
I prefer to stay out of other peoples business that is why I only talk to the people who already know me really well.
• Preston, England
I avoid getting caught up in disputes between friends - it never ends well
I have experienced it - lost a few friends when I got involved.
• Preston, England
@Kandae11 that has happened to me too
Your right it does not end well. Its best to came your mouth shut.
I treat every situation differently. I just try to use my best judgement.
That makes sense
that is a really good thing too.
Relationships are situations where one needs caution before butting in. I will not. But I always put in my two pence worth where I feel I can positively contribute.
Definitely.
@aureliah (13762)
Sometimes I choose to keep quiet but others I cannot
It all depends on the situation.
@aureliah (13762)
I might be silent on the one hand but if I saw a child or animal being abused I would notify the authorities.
With some situations it would be difficult not to react very strongly.
Thankfully I have never seen anyone abuse either child or pet @Kandae11
@suni51 (2364)
I never speak unless I am sure what I am talking about. I am a marketing professional so I know the value of silence or the value of what others are saying.
Exactly! - some people spout off on subjects they know nothing or very little of. I have always liked this quote: "It is best to remain silent and be suspected of being a fool - than to open one's mouth and confirm that suspicion."
@suni51 (2364)
@Kandae11 In fact I wait for others to speak their mind and note their point of discussion to take the lead. A marketing professional must know what his client is looking for and at most time he tells it himself. Provided you let him speak!
I avoid trouble, and just pray it will work out for the best.
Prayer does help.
@Kandae11 Yes, it does.
@mlgen1037 (15279)
• Manila, Philippines
I believe in the saying that the most dangerous people are the quiet ones. When they talk, always be careful because they are like a ticking time bomb.
You are so right. Even in relationships - one partner might appear to be unconcerned about his or her partner's bad behavior - and one day - he or she simply explodes and surprises everyone.
@mlgen1037 (15279)
• Manila, Philippines
@Kandae11 That would really be a disaster. I would not want to experience that.
@KrauseHome (34982)
Depends on the situation. A lot of times in person I have been known to keep Silent for Fear of Embarrassment or to offend, but if it was a situation like Abuse I am hoping somehow I would be able to step in somehow and offer some help or Call 911 when I can't
It does depend on the situation.
• Portland, Connecticut
I speak up if I need to defend someone or if I really can't take it anymore when someone is spouting political or moral views that are contrary to my own.
Sometimes it is very difficult to hold one's tongue.
@thelme55 (13966)
Silence is not always golden for me. I can´t keep my mouth shut when something bothers me but sometimes if I have nothing to say good and saying the truth is a waste of time, so I keep silent.
Sometimes I don't have to say one word - it is easy to tell by my face when I am not pleased about something.
@YrNemo (11136)
I am an impulsive person in this regard, but with age, I have realized that I should be more cautious. So far so good. (I often tried to be silent over the topic over a week or two, or three. If after all that long and I still wanted to say something about it, then I would do it in the most diplomatical way as I could.)
A diplomatic approach sure helps.
I would if I thought it would help. But like you never get involved in marital, and boy friend and girl friend
Yes, one should weigh the situation carefully before deciding whether to interfere or not.
@caopaopao (5224)
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. --Martin Luther King Jr.
Well said.
@porwest (2248)
I suffer what it commonly referred to as "no filter." I tell it like it is. Sometimes it is helpful. Other times it is not.
I've learned something new here -"no filter" - that could be dangerous at times.
I am a very opinionated. I speak my mind. So much so, that I offend other people. So, I changed my being that. I choose when to voice out my opinion, not just voice it out for the sake of being heard. So now, think first who can be hurt and if it will escalate into a war of words, before I speak my mind
I think you are on the best path now.
@kritis (565)
Sometimes silence is better but there were situations one should speak up for the sake of himself or to support someone...
I agree.
@Kandae11 Sometimes I do not think before I speak and then put foot in my mouth and other times shut up. To me silence is golden here in our building when the noisy ones are gone and it is so peaceful and quiet I could hear a pin drop.
I would love that kind of silence. We live near a main road and most times thye sound of trucks and other heavy vehicles passing can be really annoying.