Who are you basically?

Justice and Balance
@Shiva49 (13961)
Singapore
I analyze my path vis-à-vis those that I admire. If there is something I lack, need to improve upon, I try to correct myself so that I become a better person. My traits are: 1. Honest and upright 2. Diplomatic; avoid controversies 3. Thrifty but occasionally splurge 4. Keep an open mind on all issues including my faith 5. Follow the middle path 6. Treat others better than I am treated. 7. Not afraid of death; in fact, I am curious about it and hope to embrace it when it invites me to its fold. 8. I would like to understand the truth about controversial historical issues and I hope I will get the opportunity hereafter. 9. I wish for a future where we look at the similarities among us than getting overwhelmed by suspicion. 10. I have no regrets in life. Would you like to share some of yours? Justice and Balance – From Wikimedia Images
@mlgen1037 (29626)
• Manila, Philippines
I find you a good person, Siva, and full of wisdom. As for me, I am a simple, ordinary person but I am full of hope for just about anything. My imperfections make me the unique person that I am.
@Shiva49 (13961)
Thanks, Louise, I too have simple tastes but have had a rough ride at times to learn more about this world and its occupants. I always maintain 99% are good folks like you and me, ready to forgive the rest who manage to set our agenda - siva
@mlgen1037 (29626)
• Manila, Philippines
@Shiva49 Always a pleasure, Siva. Dont worry, we may have different paths to take, always remember that I am with you learning in this life and whatever crosses our way, we will get thru it.
@Shiva49 (13961)
@mlgen1037 Thank you, Louise. It boils down to coexistence at the end of the day - "united we stand, divided we fall" - siva
@Jessabuma (33194)
• Baguio, Philippines
Hello! I am simple, shy and I love to make friends.. I am glad to meet a good person like you..
@Shiva49 (13961)
It is my pleasure too to know you. We can know here about a person by the way we post discussions and respond to others. In real life, people have less attention span, but here we have those with a similar outlook on life. So we are heard but may not be seen but it is the other way at times in the real world! siva
@Jessabuma (33194)
• Baguio, Philippines
@Shiva49 Yes that's right Sir, I totally agree with you.. Have a great weekend!
@bela360 (1686)
• Saint Lucia
I am shy but kind I am also crazy but humble lol I am smart I have no regrets in life I must live life the right way
@Shiva49 (13961)
They should serve you well, Rebelta. Nice to meet someone from a rather far away country. How is life there? siva
@bela360 (1686)
• Saint Lucia
@Shiva49 Nice to meet you too. Life is ok :)
@id_peace (7635)
1. Creative - I am extremely creative 2. Flexible - i internalise what I learn and to translate that into something the I need. 3. Hungry - if I want something I will try my best to give it my all to do it
@Shiva49 (13961)
You are detailed with regard to your goals as I can see from your responses. The three traits you have mentioned should carry you far in your life and pursuits - siva
@caopaopao (12501)
I think I have love and patience. As a teacher, I treat my students equally. I love them like a mother. I love my children and my family, too. I did my best to take care of them.
@Shiva49 (13961)
Love cannot go wrong; creation is an act of love par excellence. Patience is another great virtue and we have to wait to strike till the iron is hot. My wife is a pre-school teacher and we love kids and we make them feel at home at our place - siva
@caopaopao (12501)
@Shiva49 Thank you for sharing, dear friend. It's nice to know that your wife is also a teacher. Most teachers have love and patience.
@Shiva49 (13961)
@caopaopao Thanks, my wife was close friends with a Mandarin language teacher from China, but she has returned to China now as she wanted to be with her parents - siva
Only a halo is missing I see I have a few of those characteristics you have mentioned but I am picky when it comes to befriending anyone in my real world. I have that holier than thou attitude
@Shiva49 (13961)
I was being modest; otherwise, I could have stepped up and even added a halo! But I thought it was there for those who could see it! I am circumspect in the real world when it comes to those I do not know well. Past experience has shown me it is "Give an inch, grab a yard" - siva
@Shiva49 May be I give a yard and take an inch? I should change and grab that halo (lol)
@Shiva49 (13961)
@allknowing That we do or rather forced to do in real life at times; we are taken for a ride. We have our own halos in different degrees and we know some with positive energy leaving a lasting impression. Koalemos comes to mind - he is missed and remembered at the same time - siva
You are such a wonderful man and remind me of my husband. You both share many similar traits and views. I'm me. I am basically shy, but learned to overcome it for social reasons. Deep inside, I am humble and treat people the way they deserve to be treated. I have no regrets in life. I really am a homebody, but enjoy going out to see the world and enjoy what it offers.
@Shiva49 (13961)
Thank you, Dianne, for your kind words. One thing I cannot hold a candle to your husband is he is quite a romantic but I am a "quiet romantic" at heart! I love your posts that are straight from your heart, no holds barred. The famous words resonate with me when I read your response "I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again." siva
@Shiva49 He's a romantic at heart - mostly. I've trained him as much as I could. Thanks so much. Your kind words please me so much, and I love those famous words. They are so true.
@Shiva49 (13961)
@DianneN My pleasure, thank you - siva
I am an introvert who loves people, but only a few at a time. I am dedicated to a cause that fights for the rights for the earth's most innocent creatures. I am very determined, and I never give up easily. I am beyond frugal too.
@Shiva49 (13961)
Nice to know who you are and what motivates you. We tend to close our eyes to inconvenient truths. I recall Gandhi's eloquent words “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” To stay passionate in our pursuits is the way to believe in ourselves - siva
@Shiva49 I do not eat animals. If one eats animals, they can say they "like" them, but they may not say they "love" them. “Thousands of people who say they love animals sit down once or twice a day to enjoy the flesh of creatures who have been utterly deprived of everything that could make their lives worth living and who endured the awful suffering and the terror of the abattoirs.” Jane Goodall
@Shiva49 (13961)
@Corbin5 I have always wondered about this issue. Live and let others live - seems to have exceptions. All are God's children - siva
@Teekaaa (5836)
As for me,1) I'm simple and humble. 2)I treat others in the way they treat me. 3)Open minded and straightforward. 4)I always wanted to keep people happy,those who are around me. 5)Friendly and jovial. cool person , sometimes sensitive though.... 6)I have helping tendency! ( I feel proud of myself, for this trait) 7)I always wanted to stay away from problem and problematic people and wish to be in safer side. 8)I treat everyone equally, no partiality... 9)I have few regrets in my life. 10) I don't lie, and I am honest... these two things I expect from others too... These are some of my traits, which I wished to share.. thanks..!
@Shiva49 (13961)
These are very good qualities that will assure you happiness and fulfilment in life. I do not compromise on the basics as that will mean I act against my own conscience. Thanks for your detailed response and I wish you well in your life journey - siva
@innertalks (4512)
I am drawn to my traits, but also some factor within me also often repels me from them too.
Your skills of self-assessment and understanding yourself are great, siva. I, for now, cannot pin myself to traits such as this. For example, I strive for honesty, but without always achieving it. (Yesterday, a tradesman came to my house, and repaired a tap. He wanted to charge me $195, which included the GST tax in it. He said though, if I paid him cash instead, he would charge me only $180. In this case, I would not receive a receipt either, but he would not pay his GST tax to the Government then, either. Now, here I would win, the tradesman would win, but the Government would be cheated from some tax due to them. Most people would agree in principle then, that they should honestly pay the higher amount, but as we all hate Governments, knowing they overtax us all at every opportunity to do so, maybe some of us would also be tempted to pay the lesser amount here too. The question is then, is this trait of honesty, total in its application, or do we allow trade-offs to weaken it sometimes, like in this case?) Why is it that we can have certain traits, such as honesty then, which we aspire to ideally, but practically we cannot really, or very rarely, live up to these? I think that the traits and characteristics of love are inbuilt within every person, and these are connected to our higher self, via our conscience, and so we all have these good traits in us, and life is about bringing them out to the fore, and also understanding them, so that we can consciously live from truth, which has been unconsciously placed in us beforehand. We are to consciously freely embrace love, and live from it consciously, and this is the goal of life as God has set it up for us to live it. Photo Credit: The photo used here was freely sourced from the free media site: pixabay.com. I am drawn to my traits, but also some factor within me also often repels me from them too.
@Shiva49 (13961)
Thanks, Steve, for a reality check - real-world vis-à-vis our conscience and the constant conflicts between them. The incidence with regard to lower costs resulting from avoiding tax is rather common. That leads me to a similar issue over thirty years ago I had to face. I was CFO in a company employing five hundred people. The company had three accounts - one real, one for tax and another for banks! I wanted to have only one and maintained honesty is the best policy but the director said that way we would be out of business as that is the way businesses functioned there. I worked to reduce the anomalies to the barest minimum but some compromises had to be made still. I have had similar issues at other places too and my take has been - thus far and no more. Yes, our inner awareness should not be ignored but needs constant nurture and compliance. We have different levels when it comes to conscience. I do not compromise in personal life but in work life, I have closed my eyes at times rather than act as a stumbling block. I have shone my light when there was enveloping darkness - siva.
@Shiva49 I am flexible in my life too at times, as I realise that others have different values to me, and that they also see things differently too, than me. I am not sure what I would have done in your case, probably pretended that I didn't know what was going on, and that I was just following instructions. I know my Dad would not have compromised at all though. He was sacked from several jobs for making such an honest stand, and he always stuck by his principles, no matter what.
@Shiva49 (13961)
@innertalks I do not interfere at all in others' lives or offer unsolicited advice. This includes my son. At the most, I may tell my views and it is up to him to do what he likes with his life. Each has own aspirations and it is better that we know where to stop. My father too was highly principled. Those who knew him admired his disciplined stand on issues while there were always the few who might have been affected by his approach. In my work life, I used to make my views clear but if the directors wanted their way, I made it clear my disapproval. In terms of my career and earnings, I could have been much better off if I was pliant but I have no regrets. That reminds me what my colleague told me forty years ago. His brother rose to a high position while he was stuck at a lower level. He said the only difference between them was his brother knew how to "curry favour" while he stood by his principles - siva