Made It To Our Destination

@porwest (3927)
So, the wife and I did make it to Memphis yesterday. Along the way we stopped off at the small outlet mall in Sikeston just for kicks and grins. It actually worked out. I had been looking for an adjustable cheese slicer since mine broke a couple of months ago, and was having no luck finding one anywhere. There happened to be one exactly like the one I had at the Kitchen Connections store there. I also bought a new 5 qt deep frying pan for less than $18, so that was a pretty good bargain, and I needed one of those too, and had just been holding off since my other one is still at least working, and I just didn't feel like paying the usual $30. We're actually staying a few minutes from Memphis in Southaven, Mississippi. Incidentally, when I booked the room I did as I always do and just booked a regular room. When we arrived at the hotel the manager noticed I was a diamond member of Wyndham and asked if I wanted an upgrade. I said sure and we got a two room suite. Well, it's basically a living room and a bedroom, but still it was nice that the manager recognized my membership status as I stay probably 70 or so nights a year in Wyndham hotels mostly for business. It is is the first time a manager has recognized that and accomodated me, so kudos to this particular hotel location. We figured that we'll actually hit Graceland and other sites today, so last night we just decided to stop at a few casinos in the area. We headed off to Tunica and hit the Casino center there which has a Gold Strike, Horseshoe, Roadhouse, and 1st Jackpot. It was pretty cool but we wound up dropping $80 there. Oh well. We tried. Incidentally, we decided to have the buffet for dinner at the Horseshoe. That was another $70 for the two of us only because it was seafood night. The buffet was okay. Nothing to write home about. But it filled the tummy nonetheless. By the way, Mississippi does not have lottery. That would suck to live there just for that reason alone. I do think I recall someone here telling me they lived there and they did not have lottery. Not that I have any false hopes of winning, say, the Powerball. But still. As for MyLot, of course as you can tell, this is a bit of a rushed post. Things to do, places to see. I will be here as much as I can over the next few days. But it will likely be limited. If I spent my wedding anniversary on MyLot I can assure you the end result of my anniversary trip might not be as nice. The wife is actually eyeballing me as we speak.
@Namelesss (1308)
Hey Jim, don't think I realized you were on this site. Long time no see. Sounds like your having fun and just got married to boot. Better go be a loving groom. Congratulations!
@porwest (3927)
Has it been that long? Yeah, I definitely remember you. My wife and I are celebrating 11 years of marriage today. Great to see you here.
@Namelesss (1308)
@porwest Haha, I know you've been married quite a while. The tone you set above made you sound like a newly wed, haha. Loved that. Glad you remember me and it's good running into you again.
@porwest (3927)
@Namelesss Some days we feel like newlyweds...others...just like an old married couple. lol. The latter is probably more frequent. We hide the knives some days.
Sounds like a busy anniversary for you both. We usually luck out with upgrades, too, which is always a nice touch. Enjoy the day and again, Happy Anniversary!!!!
@porwest (3927)
Thank you. I was actually quite surprised to get the upgrade. I mean, as diamond members we are entitled to them if we ask for them. I usually don't ask for them. But then again, when I am traveling on business why would I need a bigger room? It worked out well for the anniversary.
@porwest (3927)
@DianneN I tend to only stay at hotels in the Wyndham group. For whatever that's worth those are Days Inn, Super 8, Ramada, Amercinn, and a handful of others. Top of the line for me.
@porwest . We do whatever is possible.
Have a good one there.Happy Anniversary there.
@porwest (3927)
11 years married and still together and we haven't killed each other yet. Winning.
@porwest that is wonderful there Jim.No I have a feeling that this is going to last for years.Shucks,I will not be around.
@porwest (3927)
@amadeo You never know. I mean 88 is remarkable for sure. But seems these days centenarians are becoming quite common...so there's hope.
@mlgen1037 (23505)
• Manila, Philippines
Enjoy, Jim. And again, Happy Anniversary. Take care always.
@porwest (3927)
Onward and upward to year 12 we go.
@mlgen1037 (23505)
• Manila, Philippines
@porwest hihi. Wonderful and wishing you more years together, Jim.
@porwest (3927)
@mlgen1037 So long as she lets me stick around I will be here.
@Jessabuma (19751)
• Baguio, Philippines
Happy happy anniversary to both of you.. Have a great weekend!
@porwest (3927)
Thanks very much for the well wishes. We had an awesome time.
@Jessabuma (19751)
• Baguio, Philippines
@porwest it's good to know that. You're always welcome
@aureliah (14842)
Happy anniversary to you and have a blast
@porwest (3927)
We had a wonderful time. Kinda stinks to be back to the grind today, but oh well. If a vacation was forever, it would just be like any other thing. Not special.
@aureliah (14842)
@porwest I get that feeling
@kepweng (13136)
its nice to Relax Unwind sometimes Right??
@porwest (3927)
Oh. You bet it is.
@epiffanie (10413)
wow! that was nice that you got upgrade .. and the seafood buffet sounds great.. Happy and safe anniversary trip to you both..
@porwest (3927)
I have been a diamond member for a couple of years now, and it is the first time a manager has recognized that and offered it, so it worked out well. As a diamond member I can of course ask for one. But I usually don't.
@Courage7 (5699)
How nice Jim..a very happy anniversary trip to you. Thanks for sharing it with us.
@porwest (3927)
Happy to. So far we are having a splendid time, and that's saying something since I have not used the word splendid in years.
Anniversary first. Then play. Have fun on your trip.
@porwest (3927)
Of course.
Enjoy your anniversary trip. We'll be happy to hear more.
@porwest (3927)
Yeah, I hope to expand a bit. While traveling its hard to go into more detail.
@KrauseHome (35026)
Enjoy Mississippi. This is a state I have never been to yet, but probably would enjoy. There are parts of Mississippi I have actually always wanted to see.
@porwest (3927)
It seems like an interesting state. I was surprised they have no lottery there. But that's a small thing even if I find it weird.
@maximax8 (27943)
Happy Anniversary. It sounds like you are really enjoying yourself. It is lovely that you got a room upgrade on arrival at the hotel.
@porwest (3927)
It was pretty cool that the upgrade was offered. It's been a couple years since I became a diamond member and have never been asked if I wanted one before. An extra gift since it happened to be while my wife was with me on our anniversary and not just traveling on business as usual. Drawing the trip to and end as I write this, but it was a really good time.
Wishing you a very happy anniversary and glad you are doing well. How many years?
@porwest (3927)
11 years married and 13 years together.
Happy anniversary! Hope you are enjoying your trip.
@porwest (3927)
It was a great time. Sad to be back to the grind, but gotta make more money for the next one.
I have never been to Memphis and hope to get there someday. Enjoy!
@porwest (3927)
It was a good time. Roads are a bit bad all throughout Memphis and nearby Mississippi. Other than than that, neat town.
@Icydoll (14354)
Nice to know you enjoying there.. happy anniversary to both of you...take care
@porwest (3927)
Here's to the next 11. Thanks for the well wishes.