DNA Ancestry Tests

@tzwrites (4913)
Romania
I am very curious to know about my ancestors and the history of their lives. I know quite a lot and I am always trying to research just for my own amusement. You can now take a DNA test to figure out your racial background and where you ancestors originate from. I find this very interesting but I don't think I will be paying for the expensive DNA test just yet...apparently it shows you what areas of the world your ancestors are from but not exact countries/regions and I already know that so it's pointless for me personally. Would you be willing to take an ancestry DNA test?
HELL to the NO! Don't do it! My mother did one and I am PISSED that a lot of my genetic information is now out there and easily linked to me. The future repercussions of doing this type of test already are alarming and who knows what will happen in 10 or 20 years. I advise everyone who talks to me about it to NOT DO IT!!!!! Read this article and then at least you will have made an informed choice:
@tzwrites (4913)
I am not doing it because I don't need to know more but I can see the danger!
@tzwrites (4913)
It's disturbing to know they OWN YOUR DNA!
@id_peace (6961)
I already know without the need to do such test
@tzwrites (4913)
Oh that's good
My bro is really big into it.
@tzwrites (4913)
It's interesting to find out stuff about your relatives
I´m not interested at all in my far ancestors. I know about my great grandparents and that´s the most I want to know.
@tzwrites (4913)
I understand. There is lots of interesting info that can be learned that's why I'm interested.
There is no reason for me to do it, since like you, I know where my ancestors originate. That's all I need to know. Besides, those sites keep your genetic information which is none of their business.
@tzwrites (4913)
Yes the fact that they store your genetic information is scary and unsettling.
@tzwrites Very scary. They can use it in any way they want, whenever and wherever they want.
Should I take a DNA test I would go for a serious test. Those online tests are all scams.
@tzwrites (4913)
Perhaps they are scams. I have no idea actually what these corporations are all about.
@tzwrites I know how much a serious test costs and how long it takes to have results. You know very well how long it takes when the police ask the forensic to perform a DNA test. How can those organizations offer a service for 20 dollars and reply in a few days? They cheat, they look at your data and give you a standard response (most US users will receive a DNA test saying that they have part of Irish ancestors and so on).
@RubyHawk (25260)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I don't believe so, I had never thought about it. I hope you find what you're looking for.
@tzwrites (4913)
I won't find the info I need on ancestry as I'm looking for eastern european records and many were destroyed or lost during the world wars
@RubyHawk (25260)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@tzwrites I hope you find what you're looking for difficult though it may be.
@momalisa65 (1979)
Yes I did the Ancestry DNA test. I like seeing all my distant cousins through that and figuring out how we are connected. It’s Amazing how many cousins we have from all over the world!
@tzwrites (4913)
So you actually got in touch with your cousins? That's great!
@tzwrites I even met my half sister on Ancestry, then I connected with her and my half brother on Facebook!
@Deepizzaguy (13058)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
I would to take an ancestry DNA test but the cost is out of my reach.
@tzwrites (4913)
It is too expensive
@Deepizzaguy (13058)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@tzwrites That is true.
@LeaPea2417 (20413)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I don't need to do it because I know a lot about my ancestors on both my Mom's side and my Dad's side.
@tzwrites (4913)
oh that's good, your family kept good records
I would take the test. I think it would be amazing to find out more about your background.
Not interested at all.
I am not interested in that. No matter whether my ancestors were famous or not, it is not my business. Besides, this kind of DNA test is expensive and I don't want to spend on it.
@wolfgirl569 (4770)
• Marion, Ohio
I will not. They dont need to be able to trace me.
@skydancer (1986)
It is something I have been considering simply because I am very much interested in genealogy and seem to always have an ongoing project related to my family tree. I am not sure when it would be if I decided to do it as I am choosing to spend my money on other things at the moment. I would like to fill in parts of my family tree that have alluded me (some of my more distant relatives on my dad's side, for instance).