Thanks for Inventing the Pet Door, Sir Isaac Newton!

Sir Isaac Newton was definitely a genius. I mean, this fellow worked really hard on universal gravity. He also did that law-of-motion thing, and if that was not enough, Sir Isaac discovered calculus. Sir Isaac was a genius, but he was forgetful. Well, a brain as busy as Sir Isaac Newton's would be prone to absent-mindedness. Due to being so deep in thought the majority of the time, Sir Isaac would forget to let his cats in the house, and out of the house, during the daytime hours. Sir Isaac solved the in-and-out kitty cat problem by inventing a pet door. Sir Isaac cut a hole at the bottom of the door and placed a swinging flap that allowed his cats to go in and out whenever they pleased. No more having to remember to let the cats in or let the cats out for Sir Isaac. Due to the fact that Sir Isaac had two cats, a big one and a little one, he cut two holes in the door side-by-side, one big door with a flap and one little door with a flap. Our dog Molly has a doggy door, as did our old dog Bo. The reason for us having a doggy door for Molly, formerly for Bo, is not because we forget to let her in our out, we are just plain lazy. Thank you for that pet door Sir Isaac Newton!
@mlgen1037 (23972)
• Manila, Philippines
Hi Deborah. I never knew that until now. Sir Isaac Newton is a genius. Bravo!
@kepweng (13254)
is he is your FAVORITE Scientist??
He really did make something that is so loved by lazy pet owners.
@kepweng Not my favorite, but glad he invented that pet door.
@Jessabuma (20054)
• Baguio, Philippines
That's interesting! It was a great idea..
That pet door is great for lazy pet owners like me.
@Jessabuma (20054)
• Baguio, Philippines
@Corbin5 hehehe!!! Yes, it's really a great.
@topffer (33791)
• France
There were cat holes long before Newton : there is one mentioned in the Roman of the Rose, circa 1275, and another one in the Canterbury Tales 1 century later. At best someone added a door if it was not existing since the beginning, it was better during cold winters. If the legend of the falling apple is old (it appeared in 1752), the one of Newton inventing the cat door is quite recent, and Wikipedia considers it like an urban legend.
. J.M.F. Wright, a member of Newton's Trinity college did report this same story (from an unknown source) in his 1827 memoir, adding: "Whether this account be true or false, indisputably true is it that there are in the door to this day two plugged holes of the proper dimensions for the respective egresses of cat and kitten." I will go with Mr. Wright' accont because I am just so thankful for that pet door.
@topffer A cat flap would most definitely be inspiration for the guillotine. Yes, let's go with that!!! Our cousin Pierre, the part of France in which he lives escapes me, spent a few days in Brittany and found in the census table of 1886 the home where the children of John Guern and Marie Fer lived. The small home is still standing, but empty. Pierre loves doing this research. I know John Guern and Marie Fer are ancestors, but I will have to look at the chart to determine which ancestors they happen to be. "Great" or "great-great" something or other.
@topffer (33791)
• France
@Corbin5 The windows are on the other side ? Congrats to him, it is difficult to identify a house with a census because there were no numbers given to houses in the countryside. I suppose he needed to check the land registry for the 1880's. Lot of work.
Cat "doors" were common in Spain and France well before the invention of Sir Isaac Newton, but they were very simple holes in the fences or wooden door to let the cats move freely. Those "cat holes" has been found in ancient Egypt granaries, as old as 6,000 B.C. All the kitties of our neighbors have their "pet door", so they are free to all come to destroy my potted plant in our garden.
@topffer There are a lot of incorrect info in Wikipedia. I knew that "cat holes" existed in Italy from many centuries.
@topffer (33791)
• France
@LadyDuck Wikipedia is not bad here, it says that it is an urban legend.
@topffer I did not check. I am going to check the news in several different languages.
Having two doors one for the small cat and another for the big cat was the silliest thing Newton did. The small cat could have easily gone in and out the big door. And this story is oft repeated when anyone does silly things. (l;ol)
I thought so too. Why not just have one big pet door. Maybe he thought it would be so clever to have one for the little kitty and one for the big oe=ne.
@Corbin5 Eccentricity came to the fore - all over intelligent people are noted for this
Well blow me down, I never wooda thought it was Isaac who dreamed that up. I don't let mine out so no pet door here.
Molly's pet door is inserted in the back door which leads to our backyard that is surrounded by a 6 foot wooden fence. Molly has the freedom to roam the backyard whenever she likes, but she cannot get out of that backyard.
I doubt that would stop the cats though @Corbin5
@rebelann True. Kitty cats could climb up an over that fence.
Thanks for sharing I never knew that Isaac Newton was the creator of the pet door.
I am just happy someone thought of it. Molly has one, and it leads to the fenced backyard, so she can go in and out whenever she'd like. Molly likes to bug us a lot, so the doggy door lessens how many times wants us to do her bidding.
@Corbin5 I wish my place was set up to where Rooger could have one.
@TRBRocks420 I do too. Rooger would love the yard to roam free a bit, but he sure has a good owner in you, and that is what is most important of all.
I would not have this.Ms.Ruby will take off.I know many have this
Molly's doggy door leads to the fenced backyard. It is a 6-foot fence that surrounds the backyard, and Molly has no way to get out so she is safe. If we did not have the 6-foot fence, no doggy door for Molly. Bo had a 6-foot fence around his backyard too.
@Corbin5 that is good.Ruby takes off but she will come back.
Cute kitty tush! Doodles would try to sneak in a chipmunk or mouse, so no pet doors for us.
One needs a 6-foot fence around a backyard for a doggy door. Molly cannot get out of the backyard so the doggy door to the backyard works well for her. Bo had the same setup.
@Corbin5 We investigated a fence. My husband refuses to spend the $59,000 with a deal no less, for Doodles. Our son can put one in his own yard again.
@DianneN Yep, it cost a small fortune for Molly, and Bo, but spend it we did. Spoiled dogs who have lazy owners.
@kepweng (13254)
oh so hes Sir Isaac Newton! Invented that! i read that Newton PREDICTED too the End of the World that would take place in Year 2060 i think its True??
I doubt if his prediction will come true, but who knows??
@kepweng (13254)
@Corbin5 yes i take even it will came i already PASS Away in 2060 ! but i like Newton Waited for Apple to Fall
@dgobucks226 (11493)
There have been many inventions made for lazy people; TV remotes, microwaves, hammocks and calculators to name a few of them. Kudos to Sir Isaac for adding another to the list, lol.
That doggy door really is for lazy pet owners. We installed the first one when we had Bo. Letting Bo in and out was far too much work for lazy us.
@dgobucks226 (11493)
@Corbin5 It is always a great feeling when we can put in work initially, to leisure later....
@porwest (4028)
The things you learn in a place like this. I did not know he invented this. I feel like I should have known. And yet...here we are.
I am just so thankful for that doggy door that leads to our backyard. We do have a 6-foot fence surrounding the backyard so that Molly stays put in her own yard.
@porwest (4028)
@Corbin5 It's nice that the critters can come and go a bit too as they please.
@FayeHazel (17093)
Oh that's cool. I didn't know what
That doggy door, or cat door for others, sure does make life easier for owners.
@FayeHazel (17093)
@Corbin5 Another in his long line of inventions :-)
@HazySue (20793)
He was a genius for sure. The doggie door is a wonderful thing to have invented. He saw a problem and set out to eliminate it. What a guy.
I will say that pet door is great for owners who want to avoid opening and closing that door all the time.
@HazySue (20793)
@Corbin5 That and good for those who forget they have a pet like Sir Isaac.
@rakski (11630)
bravo to him!
My husband and I love that invention.
I know Sir Isaac Newton is a very bright scientist but I don't know he invented the pet door. How interesting to learn that. It is hard for me to understand Sir Isaac Newton's theories but the pet door is absolutely a practical invention
Yes, that pet door sure was a great invention. Makes life easier for owners and pets.
@valmnz (12772)
• New Zealand
Well, thank you Sir Isaac! Is that your kitty above?
No, that is not our kitty cat, but it does look like a kitty who is too big for the pet door. We only have one dog now, Molly, and she has a pet door at her disposal. Her door leads to our fenced back yard. The 6-ft wooden fence keeps Molly where she is supposed to be.
I've always been intrigued about doggy doors. They're huge! They aren't a thing here. Cat flaps are popular, but not doggy doors!
The doggy door here is inserted right in the door. We have a doggy door installed in the back door, and it leads to our backyard that is surrounded by a 6-foot fence so that Molly stays put. Could not have a doggy door without a fence or we would never know her whereabouts.
Thanks for sharing, I never knew that. Learn something new everyday.
I am very thankful for that doggy door.
OMG! There's only half a cat and the back end at that lol!
I think it is stuck!