Can You Keep a Secret?

@patgalca (14309)
Orangeville, Ontario
My husband had two sisters and a brother-in-law visit over this past Canadian long weekend. When we were sitting around the living room chatting, the question arose that always comes us... when are J and K getting married? My 25 year old and her boyfriend have been together for 8 1/2 years. I like to bug him asking him when he's going to put a ring on it, etc. The other night when the subject came up my husband said that J had asked him for his blessing to propose to K. I was shocked. I always told J he had to come to me! One reason being, I am the head of this household. My husband has always lived by the way his own father did... bring home the money; that's it. No rules, no disciplining. I'm the head of this house. K and J are on vacation in Morocco right now so I am hoping they come back engaged because I don't know whether I could keep my mouth shut once they return home. Not to my daughter, but to the boyfriend. I'd get on his case I'm sure. Also, I am soooo excited about this. A wedding! Yay! I have also noticed that my attempts to get together again with J's mother have been a bit fruitless. She has been putting me off for weeks. Now I think it's because she is afraid she'll say something. I'm thinking of texting her and hinting that if she has been avoiding me for a certain reason, she doesn't have to... that I know. Do you think you could keep such a secret? Or any big, happy secret?
I know that I could keep a secret about this. I kept a secret about our son's pending engagement for almost 6 months. And in the end I am glad that I did that.
@patgalca (14309)
• Orangeville, Ontario
Oh my Lord, I hope this doesn't go on for six months!!!!
congrats to the both of them.i wish the happy couple a great life long marriage together.
@patgalca The best thing is to keep it to yourself. My husband and I didn't even talk about it together. We just sat back and waited for them to announce it, of course he had a special date in mind for the engagement.
That is wonderful. It is hard to keep a secret like that. I am glad that you have us to help. We will be all waiting now for the official announcement.
I think it is really romantic and so awesome.
@patgalca (14309)
• Orangeville, Ontario
Yes, it's nice to be able to have people who are not connected to my family in any way to "talk" to. Unfortunately hubby's sisters and cousin were in the room. Hope they don't tell anyone.
@patgalca I hope not. It would be nice of it is a complete surprise for everybody.
I hate secret and it is stupid.Why people do this.Sorry.
@patgalca (14309)
• Orangeville, Ontario
I'm not a fan of secrets, especially lies. When I was 9 my mother told me my sister was in the hospital because she was in a car accident. The fact, which I found out 20 years later, was that she was 18 and pregnant and had a miscarriage. When I confronted my parents they asked what good it would have done to tell me that (considering my age I guess). So, not a fan of lies for sure.
I think its so romantic to keep it a secret I just love surprise wedding announcements.
@lnillerman not my thing.
@patgalca That is a hard secret to keep but if you do not sure they are engaged when they come back then I would not want to spoil it for either one and make hem both unhappy.
@patgalca (14309)
• Orangeville, Ontario
I had enough time to get over my excitement. But now we wait. When is he going to propose????
@patgalca So I take it you did not find out if he did already.
@patgalca (14309)
• Orangeville, Ontario
@Hannihar My guess is no. I THINK he may let my daughter pick out her own ring. I also don't believe he would travel with a ring. If he proposed neither has said so. HIS birthday is tomorrow which may be the day he chooses. My daughter sent me a text with an instagram picture of her friend holding up her hand with an engagement ring on. For a brief second I thought it was my daughter.
Keeping secrets arent easy at all. but now that they are vacation there wont be no more secret at all and you will be happy when they come back and are engaged then the secret really will be out at that time. I have a secret i have held now for about 5 months and i honestly probably wont ever tell anyone at all unless my boyfriend says its ok to do so since its about him and our relationship. Nothing really bad at all its just something he told me that i feel i should keep between me and him so yes i can keep a secret for sure.
@patgalca (14309)
• Orangeville, Ontario
I don't know for sure that they will come back engaged. I sure am hoping so. I'm checking snap chat every half hour.
@patgalca that is pretty funny well I hope u get what you want. Have a good nigh
@patgalca (14309)
• Orangeville, Ontario
@lologirl2021 You should see me analyzing the pics. In most cases only one hand is shown. Then it's a question as to whether the picture is reversed and which hand am I looking at. There was a quick video snap where I had to do a screen shot to analyze it. There's a funny black line going right across her fingers above the knuckle on her left hand. But you can't photo shop videos, can you? I'm being ridiculous. My guess is there will be no ring. Possibly engaged but letting her pick out the ring she wants.
@HazySue (20941)
That is wonderful. I would have a very hard time keeping that secret. I hope they some back engaged. How nice of him to as he father's permission.
@patgalca (14309)
• Orangeville, Ontario
I've always told him he had to do that but I said he had to ask ME! I'm the head of this family.
@HazySue (20941)
@patgalca You may be the head of the family but I guess he needed to speak to the man of the family. Tradition and all that stuff.
@Morleyhunt (19723)
I can keep a secret. Sometimes it is difficult, but it gets easier with practice. Congratulations...don't spoil the fun by blurting it out.
@patgalca (14309)
• Orangeville, Ontario
The only person I have to keep my mouth shut to is my daughter, of course, and her boyfriend. I am always ribbing him about "putting a ring on it". I am not supposed to know that he is preparing to propose. It's been a few weeks now. When the heck is he going to do it? His birthday is June 16th. Maybe he'll propose on HIS birthday.
@LeaPea2417 (19874)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Yes, I could keep the secret.
@patgalca (14309)
• Orangeville, Ontario
I could keep the secret from my daughter, it's not saying something to her boyfriend that might be hard for me since he obviously didn't want me to know about it.
I would force myself to keep the secret, but when they got back I'd be on my future son-in-law like, how could you not tell me?! I'd be pretty excited like you are.
@lnillerman (2745)
wow sounds so wonderful. I am so happy for the both of them.
Yes I could.
I've never heard of the man just bringing in money. I wouldn't be able to allow that. As both parents should discipline, cook and clean.. in my opinion. But I would be able to keep the secret. Any at that.
@patgalca (14309)
• Orangeville, Ontario
Very old school the way my husband was brought up. He's living the way he was raised. That's normal. It's not 21st century but it's what he knows.
@patgalca I guess. Have a nice weekend
@mayka123 (10546)
Yes I can keep secrets. And am happy for K and J.
@patgalca (14309)
• Orangeville, Ontario
No engagement announcement yet.