The baby bird is gone and a sad horse story

Sunday (5 days ago) I went out to check on the baby robin in the nest. It was sitting with its head out as you can see in the photo. As soon as I took the photo baby bird jumped out his nest and ran off. I followed him around the nest talking to him while mama and daddy flew around us screaming. I picked it up and carried it back to its nest. The whole time it held its mouth open waiting for a worm it was absolutely adorable. I set it in its nest and left quick hoping with me gone it would stay there. I went back two hours later to check and it was gone. No sign of any of them. It’s wings were fully formed and he did flap them so I’m hoping he flew away with mama. I searched all over the property but there is no sign of them. I learned my lesson next time if I ever get to have this experience again I will use my camera from far away and zoom in with the lens. Last night my father in law came over to give a belated birthday gift to my daughter. He has had his first round of chemo and is feeling and looking good thankfully. He told me a story of when his grandparents were farmers. They had horses to plow the fields and after buying a tractor the grandmother said they had to get rid of the horses as they no longer needed them. One of the two horses went up to the tracks right after that and was hit by a train. The grandmother swore it commited suicide. What a sad story
What a terrible sad story. Do not worry for the baby bird, it is possible it was its time to fly away.
@LadyDuck it was almost 2 weeks old so I am hoping it was ready to fly away
@shaggin If it is two weeks old, I think it is able to fly away.
@BarBaraPrz (19615)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
I've buried two hatchlings this week. Not sure where they came from.
@BarBaraPrz aww so sad maybe they fell out of a nest high up in a tree.
@BarBaraPrz (19615)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@shaggin Or eaves trough.
Young birds will leave the nest and fly away one day - just like our kids do when they are ready.
@Kandae11 yes I know and since this baby was almost 2 weeks old I am hoping that it did just fly away and didn't die.
I hope you didn't touch it with your bare hands. I've read that the parents don't accept a young bird anymore when it smells of human beings.
@Maluse I read that was a myth
@shaggin That's good to know.
What a terrible and sad story! Don't worry about that little bird. It was time for him to fly away. Good to hear your FIL is doing well.
@porwest (4260)
It's possible mama killed it. I have heard birds will kill their young if they have a scent of a human. Not sure why. But I have heard that is what they do.
@porwest it's possible some birds may do that but a Robin won't. I think it was just ready to leave it's nest and then they hop out that way from what I read after this happened.
@porwest (4260)
@shaggin Well, that may be good to know. I hope he's out somewhere flying around happily catching worms.
I am sure it's in it's safe home with momma bird.
@sharon6345 I sure hope so I feel so sad wondering
@shaggin I am sure it was ok. You had the parents flying by..
@FayeHazel (17164)
I'm happy baby bird got big and strong - I would think it was just it's time to fly away. Happy father in law is doing alright with the chemo, hope he heals quickly That's a sad story about the horse.
@FayeHazel I am hoping it was just time for baby to fly away. Makes me sad thinking I scared it and it might have hurried it along before it was really ready to leave the nest. I learned my lesson for sure to never get that close to the nest again from here on out.
@FayeHazel (17164)
@shaggin Aw, I don't think it was you at all though
@mlgen1037 (25546)
• Manila, Philippines
Hi Shaggin. The baby bird must be ready enough to fly and I hope they are safe and in good hands. On the other hand, I feel sorry for those horses.
@mlgen1037 (25546)
• Manila, Philippines
@shaggin I trust that the baby bird is fine out there. But that is fast to fly for a two week old baby.
@Tina30219 (33690)
• Onaway, Michigan
Sorry to hear about the birds.and the horses.
@Tina30219 (33690)
• Onaway, Michigan
@shaggin Right.
I'm sure the baby bird was ready to take to the skies. And I'm sure many of the working horses wondered what had happened when there was suddenly no use for them any more.
@JudyEv I think it was baby birds time to leave the nest but I worry I hurried it along by scaring it. Hopefully he is flying around with Mama and Papa bird now. Very true about the horses.
I'll say.
@popciclecold you'll say what? A very sad story?
Oh that was a sad story.
@andriaperry if it were me whose horse did that I would feel guilty about it for the rest of my life
Baby bird has flown the nest . We have a nest of baby birds in our big bush but they aren't ready to fly away yet but I bet it will be soon
@Marilynda1225 I really do hope he has flown away and did not get killed. I will have to look up how soon Robins fly from the nest. I had heard 2 weeks and this baby bird was almost that.
@cintol (5484)
That is sad, made me think about how animals really feel inside. I hope that baby bird made it safely off on its first flight
@cintol I bet that woman only viewed the horses as a machine instead of a pet. To me that is so sad but I am sure it is he most farmers back in the day or even now might feel. I guess I would never be cut out for farming!
Baby birds don't tend to stay in the nest too long.
@snowy22315 about 2 weeks I was told for robins and this baby was almost 2 weeks so I am hoping it flew away.
@JESSY3236 (6289)
that's a sad story. cute baby bird. Yeah it's best not to be around baby birds.
@JESSY3236 it is such a sad story Makes my heart break for that horse who seems to have understood his owners words
The birds flew from the nest.
@JohnRoberts I sure hope so!
@caopaopao (7441)
A poor horse. Sometimes we human are more selfish than animals. We should be kind to them.
@caopaopao I felt so sad hearing that story of the horse. They had so many childrens mouths to feed I assume they didn't want to keep the horse and feed it and have their kids or the horse go hungry. I really don't know though this was way back in the 1800s or early 1900s.
@august18 (2186)
• Tunisia
You should meet my brother. He has like 100 birds in his house.