Peanut Butter Will Get The Critters

@porwest (4851)
For roughly four and a half years I worked for a local pest control company that operated out of New Berlin, WI. I worked commercial accounts in Milwaukee. When it came to controlling mice, and even rats, one of the most common things you'd find in an exterminator's bag of goods was a jar of peanut butter. Many people found it surprising we did not carry cheese. But the reality is that in order to catch a mouse, you are far more likely to get the mouse to your trap with a spat of butter than a slice of cheese. If it is any consolation, rabbits also prefer lettuce over carrots. Who knew? Picture Note: This is a picture from a racoon I trapped. During the summer time they had to ride around in the back of my truck until I could get them to a suitable release spot. Since it could get kind of warm in there, between stops I would open the side access door and give them a little air. This guy seemed rather chill in the trap while he was going for a ride.
Mike put peanut butter on the mouse trap and works fine.
@porwest (4851)
Peanut butter works like a charm.
@porwest and it taste good by the way it is the crunchy ones.
@porwest (4851)
@amadeo The mouse or the peanut butter? Just want to be clear here.
Yep, I found out long ago that since peanut butter sticks to the trigger better, it is a much better bait
• Pleasant Hill, California
Ah, is that the reason it's better?
@porwest (4851)
@TheHorse Not necessarily the reason it works better. Mice just really like peanut butter. But it IS true it DOES stick to the trigger better and makes the mouse have to work a bit harder to get at it.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@porwest I remember wood rats liking it too.
Would that work on the voles that dig the annoying holes in our backyard? We could trap them and then release them way out in the country. I don't want to kill them.
@porwest (4851)
Nah. The voles are too small for traps like this. Voles are pretty destructive though, that's for sure.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I don't like killing animals either.
Do they prefer creamy or crunchy?
• Pleasant Hill, California
Whoa, that's a good question. I can't remember what I used.
@aureliah (16091)
I had no idea that mice prefers butter to cheese. I wonder if they use them on toast silly me
• Pleasant Hill, California
Raccoons always seem confident, even cocky. If I catch them on my balcony, they seem to say, "Yes, may I help you?" Peanut butter is what I used to catch mice and ceiling (wood) rats at my old house.
@Micmac (8484)
I've caught some mice with peanut butter. Never had luck catching them with cheese. After awhile, the smart mouse won't eat the peanut butter. Can't win 'em all.