Trip to the grocery store.

There were some produce items I wanted so we went to the store. I am pleased with the trip. I had coupons they had mailed to me, as well as digital coupons I had downloaded. We saved over $25. Spent, with tax $88. One item was a $25 gift card as I am saving up for more cupboards that way. We got 225 fuel points which puts us in a position to save up to $1 per gallon on gasoline. We purchased no meat as we did not need it. We have fresh produce: a watermelon, butternut squash cubes, green onions, green bell peppers, cucumbers, celery and black seedless grapes and a pineapple. Frozen veggies--twelve bags. One three pound bag of frozen fruit.One bag of country hash browns. Those are just the highlights of our trip. I have some beefy veggie soup on the stove from left over roast plus frozen veggies. I am working on a frozen pea salad, that will have onion, bell peppers and cucumbers as well as frozen peas in it. I really like to eat extra fruits and veggies in the summer. Shopping and cooking seem to be some of the things we all have in common. Oh, and eating good food, too.
There is nothing better than eating something really tasty. I am off to watch a movie. My day is done. Hope you enjoy the rest of yours.
My body clock is very out of sorts. We got home at 3:30 this morning.
I love all the summer fruits and vegetables too.
With the hot weather that is what I prefer to eat.
@sallypup (27471)
• Moses Lake, Washington
It sounds like you had a productive trip to the grocery store.
Yes. They often have various produce items marked down and some of the things on my list were in the quick use section. It made me glad to see it.
Yum, watermelon and grapes! I love most fruits.
I had planned on the watermelon because I knew it was on sale this weekend only. The grapes were a surprise at 97 cents a pound.
@GardenGerty I love grapes, but cannot eat a whole pound myself, so I had to pass them up on a sale on Friday. Glad you got them at such a cheap price
Wow, you did really well with your trip. Good for you.
I am pleased with what I got.
That was a great shopping trip! I love using coupons and saving, as well. And think you may have the same store we do for those coupons and gas points!
We have Dillons stores, they are part of the Kroger group of stores.
@GardenGerty Ooh, that is not the store than as I was thinking my store, Stop & Shop. We don't have Krogers and Dillons and stuff.
@Courtlynn A lot of store families do the same thing. They have loyalty cards and fuel points and digital coupons. So far I am liking the digital coupons.
You did well today! I spent $200 at the grocery store yesterday. . . for 2 people for one week. It is absurd.
It all depends on what you are eating. I know it seems steep. I also know we would not be able to afford that.
@GardenGerty We can afford it but I still feel guilty. My goal is to usually keep it closer to $100.
@NJChicaa Since we are neither one working now, trying to get the business off the ground I have to be careful, but not nearly so bad when I was a newly wed 48 years ago.
@Peach10 (1900)
I wish we have coupons here .that soup sounds delicious!
This store works hard at keeping our business. I had a coupon that took three dollars off my entire order if I spent $15 on frozen foods, not counting meats or ice cream. On top of that I also had a coupon for a free bag of frozen veggies. If I know what deals they are offering I can save quite a bit.
@Peach10 (1900)
@GardenGerty wow really nice if we have it here. I envy you
Sounds like all you bought were wholesome food and they offered discounts to you.By the way,do you have some news about @Hatley who has not been here for some time?
I try to buy healthy foods. I have not gotten a second response from her son Robbie at this time, so no, I do not know anything more about Hatley.
@GardenGerty Thank you! Hope all is well with her !
@GardenGerty I go grocery shopping once a week and if have somewhere else I can get stuff may go there too.
I try not to do a big shopping trip more often than every other week, but if we are in another town I can pick up anything else I need.
@GardenGerty I understand.
Well, now I'm hungry. All this talk of food always does that to me.
I hope you have something good to eat.
Yes I did @GardenGerty I had spaghetti
@porwest (5704)
You seem to shop much like I do. Only buy when its on sale or at a discount, and stock up. They had frozen veggies on sale a while back and I swear I had 25 bags of vegetables in the freezer. Right now I must 10 lbs of pork, 12 lbs of chicken, 15 bags of shredded cheese, and 10 packages of brats that were on sale for $1.99 per pound. I won't even get into what's in the pantry.
Our style does sound the same. Why pay full price if you can save? When we get the good frozen veggies they make up a good part of our meal.
@porwest (5704)
@GardenGerty And of course frozen veggies are much better than the can variety for you. The canned stuff is loaded with sodium.
I went grocery shopping Friday and paid $89 and saved almost $9 on my advantage card; i think i got a lot of meals out of it. Hopefully next week i will just need a few things like lettuce and some fruits. i have been shopping for a lot of groceries at the Dollar Tree and really saving money! I have 50 cents fuel pers o give ti my sister since i do not have a car nor do I know how to drive!
My sister is on my card so that always helps. She got paid yesterday I am pretty sure. She does not have a car or drive.
@Shiva49 (13397)
Seems a good bargain in terms of a healthy spread. Shopping for food ingredients is a daily affair for every family - siva
We do not have a close market. I try not to shop too often.
@xiaolisu (1452)
that reminds me i should go to the market now. the fridge had been empty for days
You are likely to get hungry if you do not. Good luck on your trip to the market.
Good shopping trip.
It was, and we did not over do it. I should be able to use up this food with ease.